Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Waiver for Tickets Purchased Through 12/31/2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hur88
Alaska Airlines is waiving change fees both for flights ticketed on or before Feb 26 (for original travel dates until May 31) and for flights ticketed after Feb 26 (for original travel dates until Feb 28, 2021).

Excerpted from the associated FAQ:

What if I used miles? If you used miles to purchase your ticket, for travel in March, we’ll re-deposit the miles in your Mileage Plan account.

What if I used a companion fare? If you cancel your reservations entirely, and if it included a companion certificate, we will reinstate your certificate with original expiration date or June 30, 2020, whichever comes later. Please call Reservations for assistance with canceling tickets using companion certificates

What do I do if I’ve already paid the change fee? If you traveled or are traveling between February 27, 2020 and May 31, 2020 and you were charged an out of pocket change fee, please contact Reservations. We’ll take care of the change fee to your original form of payment.

Print Wikipost

Waiver for Tickets Purchased Through 12/31/2020

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: AS 75K (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
My apologies if this has been clarified earlier, but if you cancel and deposit funds into My Wallet and then use those funds for another reservation, can you then cancel this reservation and deposit these funds into My Wallet too (etc etc)?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:25 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by vanillabean
My apologies if this has been clarified earlier, but if you cancel and deposit funds into My Wallet and then use those funds for another reservation, can you then cancel this reservation and deposit these funds into My Wallet too (etc etc)?
Yes. As long as you use the funds by their expiration date in My Wallet. Subsequent ticket cancellations, though, will likely be governed by whatever change/cancel rules are in place at the time you cancel.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:11 pm

Has anyone found leniency in waiving the $125 fee for a trip in early May (current waiver is for flights booked till end April)? I need to cancel but don't want to clog the lines if there's no reports of leniency
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:33 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Has anyone found leniency in waiving the $125 fee for a trip in early May (current waiver is for flights booked till end April)? I need to cancel but don't want to clog the lines if there's no reports of leniency
There's no rush to cancel now, let them deal with the people who have immediate travel needs while you monitor the situation.

Time is on your side, either things will continue the same, and the waivers will be extended, or things will be on the rebound and maybe travel will be resuming.

In fact, the longer you wait, the longer your wallet funds will be available.
NoLaGent and pcoll like this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:34 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
For the record, Alaska has extended the waiver for tickets purchased before Feb 28 to cover original travel dates through May 31, 2020.
nootka likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Should it be as easy as a phone call to ask AS to redeposit miles spent in mid-Feb for a mid-April trip?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 11:54 am
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Should it be as easy as a phone call to ask AS to redeposit miles spent in mid-Feb for a mid-April trip?
Can’t you do this online?
Old Mar 22, 2020, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by _fx
Can’t you do this online?
Yes. I cancelled a March trip online and the miles were back in the account immediately.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 2:52 pm

I know the policy is no change/cancel fee and no refunds, but I want a refund. Is this possible by calling in?
This is for an international flight to SJD.

Last edited by Travelchurner; Mar 22, 2020 at 3:52 pm
Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Travelchurner
I know the policy is no change/cancel fee and no refunds, but I want a refund. Is this possible by calling in?
This is for an international flight to SJD.
When is your flight?

I also have a flight to SJD. My flight is in about 2 wks and I also want a refund. I believe a refund is only possible if AS cancels the flight. So, I'm waiting til the day before (or even the morning of flight) before I request a cancellation.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 5:03 pm

If I buy a main non-saver alaska flight today (before end of March), I understand it is no change fees.

​​​​Does this include multiple free changes, as long as all changes are in March, and then one last change or cancel fee free after March?

In early March I originally booked a trip to Florida for mid-April naively thinking we'll be fixed by then, I know I can do atleast one free change today to a future date. But will I be able to do a second free change or cancel also later in case things don't pan out?

I know I can cancel redeposit and rebook but want to avoid that since I used a companion fare and don't want to hog the call to have the companion cert reissued
Old Mar 24, 2020, 5:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
Removing earlier feedback. Responded with a data point for a different situation.

Last edited by Ford Fairlane; Mar 24, 2020 at 6:17 pm
Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Troopers
When is your flight?

I also have a flight to SJD. My flight is in about 2 wks and I also want a refund. I believe a refund is only possible if AS cancels the flight. So, I'm waiting til the day before (or even the morning of flight) before I request a cancellation.
Mid may. I plan to do the same.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
As I understand it, if I use a June 2020-expiring AS Companion Ticket for a November 2020 flight that I purchase ahead of EOM April, I lose the companion ticket if I cancel after June. The only difference these days with the COVID-19 policy is that I can have the paid price redeposited and not have a change or cancel fee applied.

Is this the correct reading of the policy or is it actually more generous?
Old Mar 28, 2020, 8:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
As I understand it, if I use a June 2020-expiring AS Companion Ticket for a November 2020 flight that I purchase ahead of EOM April, I lose the companion ticket if I cancel after June. The only difference these days with the COVID-19 policy is that I can have the paid price redeposited and not have a change or cancel fee applied.

Is this the correct reading of the policy or is it actually more generous?
Companion certificates are valid up to their expiry date for any bookable itinerary in the calendar. They do not have to be consummed by that date.

If you "cancel" after your Companion Certificate expires, your certificate will be lost. However, you can change your itinerary to the same or a different routing, retaining your companion certificate within the validity of your original ticket purchase. This can be done online or with an agent.

For example, if your Companion Certificate expires on June 30th and you make a reservation on April 29th for November, you have up to the November travel date to change your itinerary. Since the new travel dates must be completed by February 28th, 2021 any changes that fall within those parameters would receive a change fee waiver and only the fare difference, if any, would be collected or deposited to your My Account Wallet if cheaper.

The validity of your ticket would be one year from the purchase date so you could change your itinerary for new travel to be completed by April 29, 2021 but any travel dates after February 28, 2021 would not have the change fee waiver so a change fee would be due if you otherwise don't have a waiver via status. Ths original Companion certificate would be retained for all changes. The Companion Certificate would be reissued with the original expiry date if there was any validity remaining at the time you cancelled, otherwise the certificate is lost.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.