Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Waiver for Tickets Purchased Through 12/31/2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hur88
Alaska Airlines is waiving change fees both for flights ticketed on or before Feb 26 (for original travel dates until May 31) and for flights ticketed after Feb 26 (for original travel dates until Feb 28, 2021).

Excerpted from the associated FAQ:

What if I used miles? If you used miles to purchase your ticket, for travel in March, we’ll re-deposit the miles in your Mileage Plan account.

What if I used a companion fare? If you cancel your reservations entirely, and if it included a companion certificate, we will reinstate your certificate with original expiration date or June 30, 2020, whichever comes later. Please call Reservations for assistance with canceling tickets using companion certificates

What do I do if I’ve already paid the change fee? If you traveled or are traveling between February 27, 2020 and May 31, 2020 and you were charged an out of pocket change fee, please contact Reservations. We’ll take care of the change fee to your original form of payment.

Print Wikipost

Waiver for Tickets Purchased Through 12/31/2020

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:46 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by HIFlya
That is an awesome development. I now just have to wait to see how things play out and if/when the waiver extends into June.
we are in the same boat. Hoping they extend to June. Really do not want to pay cancel fees on that trip.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:02 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I had to call in to cancel my WED flight to Vegas - since March Madness is cancelled and there will literally be no other sports to bet on, the weekend was kinda a bust.

I couldn't cancel online because I used a $150 voucher (from a delay) to purchase the ticket - the cancel button was grayed out and it said I had to call.

Hold time on the MVP/Gold line at 11:45PM was only 4 minutes... first nice thing.
Second nice thing, before I even had a chance to ask about it - the phone agent proactively told me she would re-issue my $150 voucher in addition to refunding the cash difference back to my original form of payment (wallet for that part would've been fine for me).

I was ready to argue for that voucher back if I had to, but was very happy they took the initiative. I even asked how I could give her some nice feedback and she responded "Any of us would do that for you right now given the circumstances."

A+ as always from AS.
owflyer, ashill, NoLaGent and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:34 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Mods: Do you think we could get the thread title updated with the correct date?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 12:16 pm

I have an award ticket for November to Auckland. It is giving me a choice to :

1. Refund to original form of payment.
You are eligible for a refund
2. Email the canceled ticket numbers and use later to retrieve the value
Pay nothing today...... penalty will apply for change

If I choose one, will I receive the points back immediately? Will the refund for the taxes and fees be automatically redeposited back to credit card? How long to wait?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by metoo
I have an award ticket for November to Auckland. It is giving me a choice to :

1. Refund to original form of payment.
2. Email the canceled ticket numbers and use later to retrieve the value
Pay nothing today...... penalty will apply for change

If I choose one, will I receive the points back immediately? Will the refund for the taxes and fees be automatically redeposited back to credit card? How long to wait?
I cancelled an award ticket for travel on Alaska metal on Thursday (for travel yesterday, Friday) online (no phone call or text to reservations needed). The miles returned to the account instantly. I received an email notification that the refund of the taxes and fees to my credit card was processed today (Saturday).
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
I cancelled an award ticket for travel on Alaska metal on Thursday (for travel yesterday, Friday) online (no phone call or text to reservations needed). The miles returned to the account instantly. I received an email notification that the refund of the taxes and fees to my credit card was processed today (Saturday).
Im concern with not receiving the full refund of points and fees as it states waiver until April 30th on Alaska website. The travel is for November on Qantas airlines and Alaska Airlines

Did yours have the language above:

Option one:
Refund to original form of payment

Note. No mention of how many points to be deposited nor amount of fees

Whereas my April 17th travel clearly states that 30k would be redeposited and $53 refunded back

Last edited by metoo; Mar 14, 2020 at 2:53 pm
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by metoo
Im concern with not receiving the full refund of points and fees as it states waiver until April 30th on Alaska website. The travel is for November on Qantas airlines and Alaska Airlines

Did yours have the language above:

Option one and two
Yes, mine had the language above. Unless you booked after March 1, there is no change fee waiver for November travel (unless there has been a significant schedule change or any of the other normal reasons like MVP Gold status apply). Why try to process this now when everyone at Alaska is completely overwhelmed with urgent issues?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:00 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by HIFlya
I think that is what the CSR was trying to tell me over the phone but I was too much of a noob to know what she was saying. Just to clarify, how does one "save the value of the ticket" by not having the funds deposited? And what are the parameters of using it later?
One of the options when you cancel is to have the value of the ticket emailed to you (instead of depositing the funds back into My Wallet). I think that preserves the companion certificate since it's still "attached" to the ticket number. However, I recommend calling a CSR to verify that.

I did call to see if the cert could be reissued after having the full cash value of both tickets, mine and the companion, redeposited into My Wallet. I was told they'd be glad to reissue it but the use-by date of my cert had already expired (which makes sense; the cert expiration date isn't being extended). So you may not have to do the two-step process. But still, if you can, I recommend calling and odds are you'll need to call, regardless, as I did.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:22 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
One of the options when you cancel is to have the value of the ticket emailed to you (instead of depositing the funds back into My Wallet). I think that preserves the companion certificate since it's still "attached" to the ticket number. However, I recommend calling a CSR to verify that.
This is exactly what the SMS support agent offered me when I canceled a flight that used a companion fare:

You are eligible to receive credit certificates by email without any cancellation fees. Credit may be used for eligible flight purchases and your companion fare will carry over.
However that was yesterday morning and I still haven't received an email. I'll give it a few more days before I ask about it, I imagine they're a bit backed up.

Neil
Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
Canceling a ticket online and the "mywallet" amount
is not matching the amount i paid

Would it not refund a discount customer service travel voucher?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:59 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by boycruz
Canceling a ticket online and the "mywallet" amount
is not matching the amount i paid

Would it not refund a discount customer service travel voucher?
As the voucher (much like a companion cert) isn't "cash" or an amount you paid out of pocket, you likely need to call, SMS text or email to request it be reinstated to your account.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:56 pm

Hi, did you get charge for cancellation fee? When I try to do this online, it said there's $125 fees each ticket...
Old Mar 15, 2020, 5:35 pm

This waiver is fantastic and basically the same privileges I used to get as a Gold. I'm glad i didn't push for gold last year now lol, since the most important benefit around fee-free changes/cancellations i'm able to get without any issues.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
I purchased a non-refundable ticket on September 9, 2019 for travel April 19th. If I cancel and deposit the funds into My Wallet, for how long will those funds be available? Only until Sept. 9, 2020 or until 12/31/20? Must I actually fly on a ticket using those funds by the expiration date or just make the reservation and pay by then?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 2:27 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
I purchased a non-refundable ticket on September 9, 2019 for travel April 19th. If I cancel and deposit the funds into My Wallet, for how long will those funds be available? Only until Sept. 9, 2020 or until 12/31/20? Must I actually fly on a ticket using those funds by the expiration date or just make the reservation and pay by then?
The wallet funds will expire September 9, 2020. As long as they are not expired, you can apply the funds to a reservation that commences on a later date.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.