Wiki Posts
Search

Difficulty in partner redemptions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2019, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AKAir 75K, BestWestern PE
Difficulty in partner redemptions

It seems to me that getting partner redemptions for miles is getting harder to come by. I tend to look for F class only which makes it even more scarce.

I've been a member (paid subscription) of an airfare alert web service for about 2 years now. I seem to find better deals for trans con travel on the web service than I find searching for partner redemptions. I'm getting to the point that I only use AK miles on AK airplanes.

What are FT members doing?
Old Sep 22, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
International or Domestic?

I tend to get creative* with the 25K domestic F awards.

*3-4 segments when I could fly nonstop, often a mix of AS and AA.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 9:08 pm

I guess it depends a lot on where you are trying to fly, when you are flying, and how far in advance you look. The program is not as good as when DL was a partner but it’s still good in my opinion.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chillymac
It seems to me that getting partner redemptions for miles is getting harder to come by. I tend to look for F class only which makes it even more scarce
International F first class is decreasing. Nowadays many airlines/routes/aircraft do not have F.
On long haul (newish) aircraft business class seats are better than first class was a a decade or so ago. But today's J meals/drinks not what F was decades ago.
davistev likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AKAir 75K, BestWestern PE
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX

We like Spain so I am usually looking SFO or LAX to a hub in Europe
Old Sep 22, 2019, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by chillymac
We like Spain so I am usually looking SFO or LAX to a hub in Europe
You should be able to get 60K BA J or 70K BA F awards on SFO/LAD-MAD. Even with the high taxes, it should work out to 3-4cpm.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX

Are you including a stopover? The one time I want to fly the least number of segments is when I am not earning EQM.

AA does provide some good redemption options domestically and to Mexico & perhaps the Caribbean. 27.5K YLW-SEA-PHX-GDL in F was a good redemption especially with a stopover in PHX that AAdvantage wouldn't allow. 27.5K offset a $1100 fare.

For the OP, Europe is definitely a weak spot, although BA has reduced their surcharges on a lot of routes. QF is pretty scarce but CX/JL offers excellent opportunities.

I still find great value in MP and earning meaningful RDM on a cpm basis is pretty easy.

James
bmvaughn and jsguyrus like this.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Are you including a stopover? The one time I want to fly the least number of segments is when I am not earning EQM.

AA does provide some good redemption options domestically and to Mexico & perhaps the Caribbean. 27.5K YLW-SEA-PHX-GDL in F was a good redemption especially with a stopover in PHX that AAdvantage wouldn't allow. 27.5K offset a $1100 fare.

For the OP, Europe is definitely a weak spot, although BA has reduced their surcharges on a lot of routes. QF is pretty scarce but CX/JL offers excellent opportunities.

I still find great value in MP and earning meaningful RDM on a cpm basis is pretty easy.

James
I think I might have to steal your name because I purposely include stopovers, even when I'm not earning EQMs. I only do this in F though so I am enjoying the ride while flying for fun

I usually have to use the multi-city search function and can find things such as PDX-SEA-DCA-STL, all in F for 25K. I've also done it to get routings like ORD-DFW-PDX so I could fly on the AA Dreamliner. If you look for it, you can also find AA's premium transcon offered up at the 25K level.
jsguyrus and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 2:01 am
Formerly known as stellertony

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, NEXUS, APEC
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
International F first class is decreasing. Nowadays many airlines/routes/aircraft do not have F.
This - i believe the only AS partners with F are American, BA, Cathay, Emirates, JAL, Korean (F not bookable with AS miles), and Singapore (not bookable at all). Most of those only have F on a handful of planes on specific routes - Emirates and BA probably have the most F seats, but neither are great redemption options.

For domestic travel, as you mentioned paid tickets are often a better deal than mileage redemptions, and overall AS naturally offers more opportunities and better prices on its own planes than on AA, which is more interested in charging higher rates to its own members than making cheap seats available to partners like AS.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 8:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
F redemptions in general are going by the wayside as carriers retain F only on routes where there is significant paid interest. Behind those redemptions are alliance redemptions and behind that comes AS.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Those "mixed cabin" partner redemption options on AA, etc. in the premium columns are all garbage. I have never seen ONE that wasn't short / positioning leg F, long leg Y.
spamman808 and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by BearX220
Those "mixed cabin" partner redemption options on AA, etc. in the premium columns are all garbage. I have never seen ONE that wasn't short / positioning leg F, long leg Y.
I’ve seen JL NRT-KIX Y, KIX-BKK J, AS SEA-EWR Y BA EWR-LHR J. I’ve booked AA MEX-DFW Y, DFW-SEA F. It does happen. Most of the time it’s the way you describe.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tonei
This - I believe the only AS partners with F are American, BA, Cathay, Emirates, JAL, Korean (F not bookable with AS miles), and Singapore (not bookable at all). Most of those only have F on a handful of planes on specific routes - Emirates and BA probably have the most F seats, but neither are great redemption options..
QF has first on the, now old, A380's. But not the new B787's. Unsure in QF have F or are selling F on the very old B747's. All QF B747's are due retired(scrapped?) by mid 2020. The B747 is used on SYD-SFO, SYD-HNL and some other routes.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by BearX220
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I’ve seen JL NRT-KIX Y, KIX-BKK J, AS SEA-EWR Y BA EWR-LHR J. I’ve booked AA MEX-DFW Y, DFW-SEA F. It does happen. Most of the time it’s the way you describe.
Oh hey.

And now you have. Enjoy. You can now commence complaints about "AS is so cheap they won't open up award F space on a 90/120 minute flight", and this is very true on SEA-SFO/LAX redemptions where you can snag premium class flights on JL/CX- the positioning flight will almost always be in Y, with some rare exceptions (mostly involving E75s where the F/Y ratio is somewhere where AS is willing to allow A inventory to exist). A inventory is super tight on those routes, even 8-9 months in advance. That being said, if you have elite status, you still might spike the F upgrade on that positioning flight (I guess you miss out on that fabulous Alaska Lounge in SEA).

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Sep 23, 2019 at 2:30 pm
Old Sep 23, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

And now you have. Enjoy. You can now commence complaints about "AS is so cheap they won't open up award F space on a 90/120 minute flight", and this is very true on SEA-SFO/LAX redemptions where you can snag premium class flights on JL/CX- the positioning flight will almost always be in Y, with some rare exceptions (mostly involving E75s where the F/Y ratio is somewhere where AS is willing to allow A inventory to exist). A inventory is super tight on those routes, even 8-9 months in advance. That being said, if you have elite status, you still might spike the F upgrade on that positioning flight (I guess you miss out on that fabulous Alaska Lounge in SEA).
Awesome, exactly why I am not too bothered about mixed cabin awards. I would hate to have that redemption unavailable (filtered out) because of the short domestic flight with as few as 8 F seats.

All my JL F redemptions have been from Asia. I don't seem to have any problems finding Saver A space while backtracking on a Mainline transcon from the East Coast. The add-on to Hawaii or Mexico after a NA stopover is usually in Main but I haven't missed an upgrade on any of those yet.

James

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.