Difficulty in partner redemptions

Old Sep 30, 2019, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
AS and its FFers will increasingly find themselves disadvantaged in international partner redemptions so long as AS is not part of a global airline alliance.
So, basically, unless one of UA/AA/DL buys them?

There is literally no reason to let your direct competition for your markets into your alliance. The days where CO/DL/NW could all sing kumbaya in SkyTeam are long past us.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
AS and its FFers will increasingly find themselves disadvantaged in international partner redemptions so long as AS is not part of a global airline alliance.
I had an awesome Partner Desk agent in PHX today book CX J SFO-HKG-AKL for me for the first week of February. 60K is a great redemption. HKG-AKL is slotted at 11h 5m on their A351. I also picked up a QF J SYD-BNE-LAX for 55K yesterday for the first week of March. I called and added LAX-FLL (Main as of now) after a 12 day layover. That makes 9 redemptions in the last few weeks, 5CX, 2QF, 2BA. I like the HP Challenge.... Hunt & Peck!

There are a few CX J DXB-HKG & CX J,F LHR-HKG available in February. It is amazing what you can find with random searches. I only had to query LAX-HKG to finf a CX J SFO-HKG as one of the search results was a mixed-cabin award with AS Y LAX-SFO & CX J SFO-HKG. Sure is good those aren't filtered out.

ETA: I originally called today to change one of my BA bookings which required canceling the first reservation (BA wasn't cooperating, tisk, tisk) and doing a whole new reservation. The agent waived the Partner booking fee. Amazing service. While on the same call I inquired about the CX award and she was able to secure it for me. Again, awesome service.

James
NoLaGent likes this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Oct 1, 2019 at 1:03 am
Old Oct 1, 2019, 5:57 am

Programs: NZ
The key to securing any FF awards (particularly in premium cabins) is flexibility, more flexibility and even more flexibility. Flying for Fun demonstrates what flexibility can achieve.

If you are trying to find award space with a limited time window then you may end up being disappointed.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 12:41 pm

Programs: alaska
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
So, basically, unless one of UA/AA/DL buys them?

There is literally no reason to let your direct competition for your markets into your alliance. The days where CO/DL/NW could all sing kumbaya in SkyTeam are long past us.
I'm imagining 90's airline executives holding hands in a circle and signing Kum-By-Yahh

..and wrt to my previous post, you're right, it's certainly tough to say it's all on Alaska, but it's just sort of the reality, so if someone is looking for European Airline rewards, they might want to look elsewhere in terms of mileage banking.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:15 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by gdam22
I'm imagining 90's airline executives holding hands in a circle and signing Kum-By-Yahh

..and wrt to my previous post, you're right, it's certainly tough to say it's all on Alaska, but it's just sort of the reality, so if someone is looking for European Airline rewards, they might want to look elsewhere in terms of mileage banking.
AS faces three structural shortcomings for award redemptions that cannot be remedied as a non-aligned/unaffiliated carrier:

1. Members of global alliances typically have "most favored nation" clauses built into their alliance agreements, requiring a member airline to offer to fellow members various commercial terms and conditions equally or more favorable than those given to a non-member airline. For example, as a Star Alliance member, Singapore Airlines must offer its Star partners access to its award inventory as good or better than any access provided to AS. If SQ provides AS access to its award inventory for longhaul F/J flights, it must offer similar or better access to United, Air Canada, Lufthansa, and all the other Star partners, too. SQ does not want to do that, and therefore AS members will go without access to premium cabin awards on SQ flights.

2. Since AS' partnership agreements are purely bilateral, AS cannot offer MileagePlan members the ability to mix and match redemption partners for a single journey. This is a huge minus when you consider it often takes 2-3 airlines to get to the more interesting locales that best leverage award travel value.

3. The three global alliances are actively developing alliance-wide award inventory and pricing tools intended to eventually become the primary/sole mechanism for managing award bookings for alliance members.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by chillymac
It seems to me that getting partner redemptions for miles is getting harder to come by. I tend to look for F class only which makes it even more scarce.

I've been a member (paid subscription) of an airfare alert web service for about 2 years now. I seem to find better deals for trans con travel on the web service than I find searching for partner redemptions. I'm getting to the point that I only use AK miles on AK airplanes.

What are FT members doing?
Largely the forum is filled with AS apologists so don't expect any critical response. The website is useless for finding actual F rewards and the people who run the site are too lazy/incompetent to fix it.
SEA777GUY and nerdbirdsjc like this.
Old May 26, 2020, 6:31 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
I have a particular award search I've been running daily on a route that both AS and AA fly

For the last week or so, half the time the results are AS only, whereas before that the AA flights showed up regularly

Is there a new known glitch in partner award inventory on AScom...??
Old May 26, 2020, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by Tracer_SEA
Is there a new known glitch in partner award inventory on AScom...??
The "glitch" is that AA releases so few award seats to Alaska.
Old May 27, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
No it's not. Intermittently AS.com sometimes is displaying the AA flights in the results, and sometimes not at all. Has been going back and forth for a couple of weeks now,
Old May 28, 2020, 6:11 am

Anyone having issues with JAL first awards? I'll find space with JAL, Qantas, and AA, but search Alaska and not a thing. Tried phoning an agent, but they're not seeing anything either.
Old May 29, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska MVP, Delta Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Big Meech
Anyone having issues with JAL first awards? I'll find space with JAL, Qantas, and AA, but search Alaska and not a thing. Tried phoning an agent, but they're not seeing anything either.
JAL award space is weird. And if you're looking at F awards for next spring, it looks like it may be a known issue. There's a thread all about it.
Old May 29, 2020, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by socalgecko
JAL award space is weird. And if you're looking at F awards for next spring, it looks like it may be a known issue. There's a thread all about it.
Yep, looking at April. Frustrating, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.