FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Difficulty in partner redemptions
View Single Post
Old Sep 23, 2019, 2:41 pm
Flying for Fun

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

And now you have. Enjoy. You can now commence complaints about "AS is so cheap they won't open up award F space on a 90/120 minute flight", and this is very true on SEA-SFO/LAX redemptions where you can snag premium class flights on JL/CX- the positioning flight will almost always be in Y, with some rare exceptions (mostly involving E75s where the F/Y ratio is somewhere where AS is willing to allow A inventory to exist). A inventory is super tight on those routes, even 8-9 months in advance. That being said, if you have elite status, you still might spike the F upgrade on that positioning flight (I guess you miss out on that fabulous Alaska Lounge in SEA).
Awesome, exactly why I am not too bothered about mixed cabin awards. I would hate to have that redemption unavailable (filtered out) because of the short domestic flight with as few as 8 F seats.

All my JL F redemptions have been from Asia. I don't seem to have any problems finding Saver A space while backtracking on a Mainline transcon from the East Coast. The add-on to Hawaii or Mexico after a NA stopover is usually in Main but I haven't missed an upgrade on any of those yet.

James