Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2022, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by terbangalways
Thank you!

BTW I'm using BA to look. I've done searches for HKG-SFO for 4/13 (+/- 1 day). Did not see any J/F. Figured SIN-HKG & SFO-SEA should be easy.
I've redeemed SEA-SFO on AS metal for 5K miles. And realised AS has got a range of 5k-10k on main cabin. Is this a version of 'saver' vs 'advantage" pricing. (Using SQ KF terminology).

Separate topic since you are based in SEA, is Crowne Plaza Seattle a good hotel? My first time to SEA for Alaska cruise in April. And decent hotel prices are surprisingly high for that time.
One by the airport or one in downtown Seattle? I haven’t been in the one at the airport in a decade and have never stayed at the one downtown. Don’t do a lot of hotel stays in my hometown.

Airport has light rail access to downtown and places near the port in about 40 minutes. Bellevue also isn’t an unreasonable option depending on when the new light rail opens in 2023.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
One by the airport or one in downtown Seattle? I haven’t been in the one at the airport in a decade and have never stayed at the one downtown. Don’t do a lot of hotel stays in my hometown.

Airport has light rail access to downtown and places near the port in about 40 minutes. Bellevue also isn’t an unreasonable option depending on when the new light rail opens in 2023.
Downtown. Figured it's easier to walk in city centre.
Old Jul 22, 2022, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It’s, uh, hilly (though there are places downtown that you can go to that aren’t on a hill). You’ll see.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 7:31 am

It’s, uh, hilly (though there are places downtown that you can go to that aren’t on a hill). You’ll see.
LOL. Thanks for the tips!
I am travelling with my parents. Gotta look for alternatives.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Downtown. Figured it's easier to walk in city centre.
Fly via Vancouver and spend the time in a better city. I'm willing to fight eponymous on this.

Edit: I just saw this is for a cruise, not the stopover. Disregard! (Rebook the cruise out of Vancouver! )
Old Jul 23, 2022, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Fly via Vancouver and spend the time in a better city. I'm willing to fight eponymous on this.

Edit: I just saw this is for a cruise, not the stopover. Disregard! (Rebook the cruise out of Vancouver! )
You don’t really have to fight me on this. If hotels are stupid expensive in Seattle and better in Vancouver I’d do the cruise out of Vancouver. Vancouver’s downtown is also flatter for walking around. Better hotels right by the cruise terminals too like Pan Pacific and Fairmont.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2022, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
You don’t really have to fight me on this. If hotels are stupid expensive in Seattle and better in Vancouver I’d do the cruise out of Vancouver. Vancouver’s downtown is also flatter for walking around. Better hotels right by the cruise terminals too like Pan Pacific and Fairmont.
Appreciate the tips guys!

Did not do much research and jump on it too quickly. Will check out cruise out of YVR then.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jul 25, 2022, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Go look on BA?

You'd be looking at MCI-SEA/PDX-LAX/SFO-HKG, that strikes me as more annoying than hoofing it to ORD. There is saver to SEA BTW, it just ends after May 17. Maybe AS isn't running fare sales for June 2023 yet?

Of course, assuming your flights actually fly. I'll skip the "CX is still completely unreliable for award travel" sermon.
I looked at BA - that's where I was see a maximum of 2 PY seats per flight.

I get that CX is still unreliable, but it's a far-in-the-future booking that I have some flexibility on, so as long as the airline itself still exists I don't mind if things move around a little bit.

The only catch with ORD is that I wouldn't be able to get the MCI-CHI segment folded into this award. It'd be a paid segment or roadtrip. Not the end of the world...we have family up in Chicago so would probably go up there for a day or two before the trip.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 9:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Appreciate the tips guys!

Did not do much research and jump on it too quickly. Will check out cruise out of YVR then.
I was in Vancouver end of May and hotels were definitely "stupid expensive", downtown at least. I'd be surprised if it was better near the terminals, but I guess you never know.
terbangalways likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 12:09 am

Have been some times since last redeem CX from AS... i've tried several routes (intra Asia one-way from HKG) and found availabilities in AA and BA, but called AS and they said no award space... Any ideas?

[EDIT] HUCA works finally after 3 calls lmao. took nearly 45 min on this simple point-to-point itin but at least it's booked...

Last edited by shek3112; Sep 18, 2022 at 4:14 am
Old Sep 14, 2022, 4:12 pm

Is CX not flying from DPS? I want to book from DPS to North America for Feb 23 date. I have AS miles but lately AS is becoming AH in terms of points redemption.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mak101
Is CX not flying from DPS? I want to book from DPS to North America for Feb 23 date. I have AS miles but lately AS is becoming AH in terms of points redemption.
https://www.cathaypacific.com/cx/en_...e-fly-now.html

No announced service to DPS in Feb 2023.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 7:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mak101
You may want to consider taking a cheap repositiong flight to SIN (1037 miles) for SQ, CX or JL from there or to DRW (1097 miles) and fly QF from there.

James
Old Sep 15, 2022, 4:25 am

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
You may want to consider taking a cheap repositiong flight to SIN (1037 miles) for SQ, CX or JL from there or to DRW (1097 miles) and fly QF from there.

James
Yes, or CGK or KUL. Even BKK isn't a million miles away.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2022, 4:12 am

agree with CGK, quickest and cheapest, around 100USD for a flight on super airjet, which has pretty spacious seating (even i'm 6'3) and 1 piece of luggage inclusive. Lion/AirAsia recently took off the free checked luggage for Indonesian domestic flight sadly...

+, CX consistently releases award spaces from CGK to HKG...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.