Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2022, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP IHG Diamond Marriott Gold Hilton Diamond
Partner Desk

Originally Posted by usefuloxymoron
the partner desk seems to have its hands tied in being unable to change or request a different city. Guess we have no choice but to go to Kong Kong or fly to another city during that time, but it’s not worth it to fly somewhere else for 42 hours.
I was able to get them to rebook me on a flight to Jakarta when my Bali leg was cancelled. Took about 7 days, but they definitely liaisoned with Cathay.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 3:07 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Don't lose hope, there are 1/23 SFO-HKG, 2/26 and 3/6 LAX-HKG J seats at the time of this writing. Nothing in 2022, and I haven't checked further than March 2023.
Old Oct 14, 2022, 6:05 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 100K, Frontier Elite100K
CX has opened up PE seats for flights in the next couple of weeks.

Found J seats Nov 22 YVR-HKG for 50k miles. So business seats are out there.

Last edited by Kamiakdad; Oct 14, 2022 at 7:36 pm
Old Oct 15, 2022, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by simonsuo
Don't lose hope, there are 1/23 SFO-HKG, 2/26 and 3/6 LAX-HKG J seats at the time of this writing. Nothing in 2022, and I haven't checked further than March 2023.
I seems like certain flights/routes/dates haven't been loaded for partner awards at all.

SFO-HKG seems to have Y/Y+ available in plentiful numbers until May 18, 2023. Then it goes to zero through the end of the calendar.

LAX-HKG and ORD-HKG seem to have nothing on any date in Spring 2023.

Then again, I noticed some other AS partners where the award calendar is loaded to almost exactly May 20th, give or take a day or two, even when searching for places that are definitely not close to peak travel in late May. Maybe it's an Alaska thing and not a CX thing? I don't know.

Every day with 4+ Y seats....then zero....it seems like something system-wise as opposed to sudden demand driven.

Of course I haven't seen J at all. The close-in approach may be best for that.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 10:56 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
Managed to book CX F LHR-HKG in July 2023 using AS points.

These weren't showing up a few days ago, with only flights in December 2022 showing F seats.

Old Oct 20, 2022, 1:53 pm

Does AS ever display Premium Economy for any partner airline? If not, can CX PE be booked over phone?
Old Oct 20, 2022, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by fumoffu
Does AS ever display Premium Economy for any partner airline? If not, can CX PE be booked over phone?
CX PE can be booked online (as can BA). You’ll have to look in the day view as they won’t show up in the calendar view for the route your searching.

CX:

BA:

fumoffu likes this.

Last edited by Arsene Wenger; Oct 20, 2022 at 4:05 pm
Old Oct 20, 2022, 6:38 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Air Tahiti Nui, CX and BA show up with online searches, at least while I was searching this week.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 6:39 pm

Thanks for taking the time to upload the images, I think I figured out the problem.

I was trying to do AAA-HKG-CCC rather than checking the individual legs to see if PE exists. Since AAA-HKG did not have PE cabin then it was not displayed for the entire trip. I suppose mixed cabin Y/W does not seem to be an option.
Old Oct 20, 2022, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Thanks for taking the time to upload the images, I think I figured out the problem.

I was trying to do AAA-HKG-CCC rather than checking the individual legs to see if PE exists. Since AAA-HKG did not have PE cabin then it was not displayed for the entire trip. I suppose mixed cabin Y/W does not seem to be an option.
Mixed cabin should be an option although you may have to call in to book it if the website will not show it. You would pay the higher cabin price for the whole journey but you should be able to book it so for Asia PE+Y it would be 35k miles PE price even though PE was only available on one segment. Still a decent bargain so long as the long segment is PE.
fumoffu and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 1:49 pm

I was able to book the mixed cabin itinerary through AS and now ran into something peculiar.

The first leg has a "ticket not issued" as shown in the top right corner and the second leg is confirmed.

In the first leg, one pax has a "issue ticket to select" seat while the other is able to pre select seating. Upon clicking it says to select during OLCI. The "no ticket" pax also has no baggage allowance.

Now here's the interesting issue. CX confirms both legs are ticketed and I verified that there are four unique ticket numbers via CheckMyTrip. AS also confirmed that it was properly ticketed on their end.

I'm getting bounced and not sure if this is just a site issue or something else.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA, AS
I was able to book the mixed cabin itinerary through AS and now ran into something peculiar.

The first leg has a "ticket not issued" as shown in the top right corner and the second leg is confirmed.

In the first leg, one pax has a "issue ticket to select" seat while the other is able to pre select seating. Upon clicking it says to select during OLCI. The "no ticket" pax also has no baggage allowance.

Now here's the interesting issue. CX confirms both legs are ticketed and I verified that there are four unique ticket numbers via CheckMyTrip. AS also confirmed that it was properly ticketed on their end.

I'm getting bounced and not sure if this is just a site issue or something else.
You have 4 ticket numbers for 2 passengers in one direction? Interesting. If you are seeing ticket not issued when retrieving the reservation on Cathay Pacific's site then I would be concerned. I would probably try some of the internet tricks like retrieving the reservation on Qatar's or rj.com websites and see if it looks the same. If that doesn't turn up something I would call AS back and ask them to confirm the details of each individual ticket number (4 total?). Ask them for each ticket number, who is the passenger, route, flight, and class of service and confirm each of the 4 ticket numbers is confirmed when checking it by itself, not by retrieving the reservation from the PNR. You are right to be concerned. Something does not look right with the one ticket not issued.

Write down the name of the person you talked to and the date and time of the call and tell them you are putting this information in your records as your confirmation that they (individual rep you talked to) as representative of the airline confirmed you will have no problems traveling on these tickets. If something goes bad later on you can come back and quote the fact that Alaska "guaranteed" you (quoting the details of the call where they did) that there were no issues so if they made a mistake they should fix it. They may not want to fix it later so getting confirming evidence now that they made the mistake (if there is one) should work in your favor.

Also, if you can retrieve the details for individual ticket numbers instead of by PNR online that may provide clues.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
You have 4 ticket numbers for 2 passengers in one direction? Interesting. If you are seeing ticket not issued when retrieving the reservation on Cathay Pacific's site then I would be concerned. I would probably try some of the internet tricks like retrieving the reservation on Qatar's or rj.com websites and see if it looks the same. If that doesn't turn up something I would call AS back and ask them to confirm the details of each individual ticket number (4 total?). Ask them for each ticket number, who is the passenger, route, flight, and class of service and confirm each of the 4 ticket numbers is confirmed when checking it by itself, not by retrieving the reservation from the PNR. You are right to be concerned. Something does not look right with the one ticket not issued.

Write down the name of the person you talked to and the date and time of the call and tell them you are putting this information in your records as your confirmation that they (individual rep you talked to) as representative of the airline confirmed you will have no problems traveling on these tickets. If something goes bad later on you can come back and quote the fact that Alaska "guaranteed" you (quoting the details of the call where they did) that there were no issues so if they made a mistake they should fix it. They may not want to fix it later so getting confirming evidence now that they made the mistake (if there is one) should work in your favor.

Also, if you can retrieve the details for individual ticket numbers instead of by PNR online that may provide clues.
I went back to CheckMyTrip and double checked the e-Ticket # once again given the predicament of different ticket #s.

Pax 1
AAA-HKG 027-xxx123 <- unknown ticket
HKG-YYZ 027-xxx222 <- same ticket # from AS

Pax 2
027-xxx223 <- same # for both legs

So the confirmed Pax 2 actually has the same ticket # for both legs - I might have overlooked and gotten confused going back and forth. "No ticket" Pax 1 is the outlier with two unique e-Ticket #s, especially the random unknown ticket in the first leg.

Thanks for pointing out the weird # of tickets since that seems to be where the problem is.
Old Oct 22, 2022, 9:35 pm

Programs: AS AA
I went back to CheckMyTrip and double checked the e-Ticket # once again given the predicament of different ticket #s.

Pax 1
AAA-HKG 027-xxx123 <- unknown ticket
HKG-YYZ 027-xxx222 <- same ticket # from AS

Pax 2
027-xxx223 <- same # for both legs
Did you make changes and have tickets reissued? This happened to me too. AS tried to reissue the same itinerary multiple times and CX still showed the first segment unticketed, but there was definitely a ticket number attached. In the end, Cathay had no problem checking me in at the airport and issuing BPs for both segments. At this time, just relax and it will be alright.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 8:34 am

Couldn't tell for sure on AS, so wanted to confirm, are "Partner Premium" awards premium economy seats? or just higher class economy tickets? Thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.