Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2022, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by alfrie

Yes EF is ExpertFlyer. It shows real-time inventory. You need to check fare bucket. For example in the picture, CX872 is still for sale, and the other two are zeroed out, so they will most likely be cancelled.
If I search for HAN-JFK with a connection at HKG, the inventory is zeroed out. But if I search for the long leg (HKG-JFK) only, the flight is still for sale. Does that mean the short leg is or will be cancelled?
Edit: yes, it looks like the short leg will be cancelled.

Last edited by asdfghjk; May 14, 2022 at 1:25 pm
Old May 20, 2022, 9:13 pm

I was trying to make a highly speculative booking for March 2023. BA showed space on the CX flights that I wanted but the AS agent insisted she couldn't see the space. I asked her to contact the partner desk which she begrudgingly did but after a long hold came back and said the space was still unavailable. Is there a better way to guide AS to finding CX space?
Old May 20, 2022, 9:49 pm

Programs: NZ
Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
I was trying to make a highly speculative booking for March 2023. BA showed space on the CX flights that I wanted but the AS agent insisted she couldn't see the space. I asked her to contact the partner desk which she begrudgingly did but after a long hold came back and said the space was still unavailable. Is there a better way to guide AS to finding CX space?
Have you checked award availability via other carriers, such as QF, AA and JL? Some say that JL is a good indicator of AS availability, but I haven't been checking recently so cannot confirm or deny that.
Old May 21, 2022, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by minz56
Have you checked award availability via other carriers, such as QF, AA and JL? Some say that JL is a good indicator of AS availability, but I haven't been checking recently so cannot confirm or deny that.
BA availability indicators are also pants when you’re searching a multi-segment routing, so unless you were searching segment by segment it’s probably wrong.

AA is a good way to check things.
Old May 21, 2022, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
BA availability indicators are also pants when you’re searching a multi-segment routing, so unless you were searching segment by segment it’s probably wrong.

AA is a good way to check things.
Does AA even show CX? It didn't use to.
Old May 21, 2022, 9:40 am

Programs: UA, AS
When does the flight depart? Shortly after midnight?
Old May 21, 2022, 4:17 pm

I spoke to several AS agents. They said that they have less inventory for CX award seats than BA. It's because they compensate CX differently.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 11:51 am

Has anyone been able to find any cx tickets between Hkg and Yyz? I called and they told there is nothing from dec 2022 to may 2023! Could that be right? Thanks!
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by andrew148
Has anyone been able to find any cx tickets between Hkg and Yyz? I called and they told there is nothing from dec 2022 to may 2023! Could that be right? Thanks!
It could be. Have you checked availability through other partners? When I checked I saw nothing YYZ-HKG through next March. April and May 2023 have a lot of days with 2 seat availability in PE or J (nothing in Economy) when checking BA and AA or JL, but not on QF. My read on this is there really is nothing YYZ-HKG from now through next March but you have a chance in April and May next year (up to 2 seats). Pick days you find availability on AA (or JL), call AS and ask them to check availability on that specific day. Search this thread for the Partner Desk phone number and call that. Calling the Partner Desk during PST/PDT business hours may lead to better results.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:43 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
It could be. Have you checked availability through other partners? When I checked I saw nothing YYZ-HKG through next March. April and May 2023 have a lot of days with 2 seat availability in PE or J (nothing in Economy) when checking BA and AA or JL, but not on QF. My read on this is there really is nothing YYZ-HKG from now through next March but you have a chance in April and May next year (up to 2 seats). Pick days you find availability on AA (or JL), call AS and ask them to check availability on that specific day. Search this thread for the Partner Desk phone number and call that. Calling the Partner Desk during PST/PDT business hours may lead to better results.
Poster is looking for HKG-YYZ. Through to spring the "fictitious" schedule is operating 5× weekly. It might be a good idea to check NE USA cities and purchase the last leg to YYZ. QF was always my goto for CX awards pre-Covid. That isn't panning out as well now. It may also be transitional between the existing AS-CX partnership & AS-CX as alliance members. Inter-Asia awards on CX used to always terminate in HKG but now Inter-Asia awards say Asia to Asia, not Asia to HKG. In theory, SIN-HKG-ICN should be a valid award. I haven't tested that out though.

No longer says Asia to Hong Kong.

James
andrew148 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Poster is looking for HKG-YYZ. Through to spring the "fictitious" schedule is operating 5× weekly. It might be a good idea to check NE USA cities and purchase the last leg to YYZ. QF was always my goto for CX awards pre-Covid. That isn't panning out as well now. It may also be transitional between the existing AS-CX partnership & AS-CX as alliance members. Inter-Asia awards on CX used to always terminate in HKG but now Inter-Asia awards say Asia to Asia, not Asia to HKG. In theory, SIN-HKG-ICN should be a valid award. I haven't tested that out though.

James
You are correct. I swapped origin and destination. HKG-YYZ still has nothing through March. About 5 days over April-May with Business on the AA calendar. Plenty of days with 2 PE though so no worries if PE works for them and they do not need more than 2 seats. Good tip on picking up the last leg to YYZ from the US, that opens up a few more possibilities.

Good find regarding the award chart change.
andrew148 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 10:31 am

Thanks for the tips!
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:44 pm

Programs: Alaska Air Mileage Plane
Ahhhhh, man Just finished reading the last 10 pages for tips because I was hoping to blow my bank of 380k AS miles on my honeymoon in April-ish 2023 flying somewhere in Cathay 1st Class. But looks like I should make alternate plans, haha.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Falfurrias
Ahhhhh, man Just finished reading the last 10 pages for tips because I was hoping to blow my bank of 380k AS miles on my honeymoon in April-ish 2023 flying somewhere in Cathay 1st Class. But looks like I should make alternate plans, haha.
AS is great for QSuites bookings! 85k pp at saver rate one way to the Maldives
Falfurrias likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

James
No. I wrote this sentence in the wiki ages ago: “The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones.”

CX intra-Asia on a XXX-HKG-YYY itinerary has always been possible. It doesn’t allow for a stopover though.
Flying for Fun likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.