Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: Alaska Air Mileage Plane
Originally Posted by jfdes
AS is great for QSuites bookings! 85k pp at saver rate one way to the Maldives
Thank you for that tip! The Maldives would be a great option!
Old Jun 30, 2022, 3:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
No. I wrote this sentence in the wiki ages ago: “The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones.”

CX intra-Asia on a XXX-HKG-YYY itinerary has always been possible. It doesn’t allow for a stopover though.
Thanks for the clarification.

James
Old Jul 1, 2022, 5:31 pm

Hi I’m looking to book YVR-HKG-MNL for sept but can’t find any space at all. Is CX all out?
Old Jul 2, 2022, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by jlimftalk
Hi I’m looking to book YVR-HKG-MNL for sept but can’t find any space at all. Is CX all out?
Probably, and they’re an operational trash fire on adhering to any advance schedule as well. Plenty of posts here and in the CX forum about cancels and CX throwing up their hands or making rebookings that don’t work for award bookers. AS isn’t in much position to help because they don’t fly to Asia, and they don’t feel like eating the cost of buying customers cash tickets on other airlines.

Lots of people thinking the 50k J AS award booking on CX is worth it but I think it’s fool’s gold. Better to fly on JL, SQ or really anyone who’s got some actual reliability in their schedule.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Jul 2, 2022 at 4:16 am
Old Jul 2, 2022, 6:35 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Probably, and they’re an operational trash fire on adhering to any advance schedule as well. Plenty of posts here and in the CX forum about cancels and CX throwing up their hands or making rebookings that don’t work for award bookers. AS isn’t in much position to help because they don’t fly to Asia, and they don’t feel like eating the cost of buying customers cash tickets on other airlines.

Lots of people thinking the 50k J AS award booking on CX is worth it but I think it’s fool’s gold. Better to fly on JL, SQ or really anyone who’s got some actual reliability in their schedule.
I sound like a broken record in pointing out HK is aligned with Mainland on Covid/Dynamic/Social Zero.

There may be a place for transit traffic to make the network viable, but in the CCP/HKSARG considered view, the time is certainly not now.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 7:22 am

I had a F flight with CX during the pandemic but they cancelled it and rebooked me on J. But didn’t feel like taking it and flew with *A instead. It’s a shame CX flights have become so unreliable. I would book KE but the fact it needs to be a RT is a deal breaker for this trip. SQ has one but it’s for a 100k and I can’t find any availability on JAL.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had a F flight with CX during the pandemic but they cancelled it and rebooked me on J. But didn’t feel like taking it and flew with *A instead. It’s a shame CX flights have become so unreliable. I would book KE but the fact it needs to be a RT is a deal breaker for this trip. SQ has one but it’s for a 100k and I can’t find any availability on JAL.
You can pair KE one way with SQ or JL the other way.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 9:05 am

You can pair KE one way with SQ or JL the other way.
Would that price in at 120k if I pair KE with SQ? If that’s the case then I’d be over the moon.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 2:29 pm

Hi -

Yes, you can fly KE one ay and Sq the other. But, I think that once you start your trip, no changes allowed.

As opposed to booking one way awards that allow changes.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Would that price in at 120k if I pair KE with SQ? If that’s the case then I’d be over the moon.
It will price as 1/2 round trip KE pricing one way, SQ one way on the other. If you’re short on miles you’d want KE/JL.
kalderlake likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 3:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Cathay Pacific resuming YVR stop HKG to/from JFK

It looks like CX is planning to resume their HKG-YVR-JFK & JFK-YVR-HKG routes on August 1st. Although, they wont be carrying any passengers on the fifth freedom route. It will add daily service from 3× weekley to YVR and help avoid Russian airspace. That could open additional award space from the West Coast.

CX YVR stop HKG to/from JFK

James
skimthetrees and kalderlake like this.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 11:52 am

I have a flight schedule change on my YVR to HKG to DPS has been changed as they no longer fly to DPS nor HKG on the day I requested.

MY YVR - HKG - Flight is now on December 24 - 1am but have not confirm yet it changed by Cathay.

I spoke to an agent and she put in a request "for December 26 departure with Cathay" for YVR to HKG Segment and rebooked me on a award seat from HKG to SGN already confirmed on the 27. That way I can just transit right through HKG and not have to worry about quarantine.

Does anyone have experience if these requests get honoured?
Old Jul 11, 2022, 6:51 pm

Programs: AS AA
Originally Posted by Wyatt Rotteau
I have a flight schedule change on my YVR to HKG to DPS has been changed as they no longer fly to DPS nor HKG on the day I requested.

MY YVR - HKG - Flight is now on December 24 - 1am but have not confirm yet it changed by Cathay.

I spoke to an agent and she put in a request "for December 26 departure with Cathay" for YVR to HKG Segment and rebooked me on a award seat from HKG to SGN already confirmed on the 27. That way I can just transit right through HKG and not have to worry about quarantine.

Does anyone have experience if these requests get honoured?
Last Christmas my LAX-HKG was canceled. I requested a change to SFO-HKG and was declined by CX. Requested LAX-HKG again on a different day and it was honored. I think the LAX flight had more open seats which was why CX approved it.
Old Jul 11, 2022, 8:09 pm

I just got mine declined put in a request and 8 hrs later was declined. I think the agents at alaska have no clue what they are doing or talking about. It should be taking 4 days at least.

How long did your first decline take?
Old Jul 13, 2022, 12:13 pm

Programs: AS AA
Originally Posted by Pilotbg
I just got mine declined put in a request and 8 hrs later was declined. I think the agents at alaska have no clue what they are doing or talking about. It should be taking 4 days at least.

How long did your first decline take?
2-3 days, definitely more than overnight. Maybe try another AS agent to confirm if it was really declined by CX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.