Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2021, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Change fees for partner bookings are waived
But not the $12.50 partner booking fee.
Does anyone know what the mile requirements will be for QR? Can't find it on the AS website.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 12:01 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by estnet
Does anyone know what the mile requirements will be for QR? Can't find it on the AS website.
this info does not exist
estnet likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by estnet
QR awards are not available yet. Later in 2021, allegedly.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 8:54 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by kayexalate
Thank you! just to clarify though...you mentioned NOT holding tix on AA b/c that would impact AS availability. If it does, wouldn't that imply that AS and AA are accessing the same "pool" of tix? (which from what it seems like, is 4 Biz class seats from HKG-SFO, and 5 biz class seats from BKK-HKG). My plan only will work if there are 4 Biz class seats, as I don't want to split up the family with part in Biz and part in PE/Econ.
AS is not fully integrated into the alliance awards yet. Until they are the pool has had differences in the past. There may be an ALLIANCE_POOL of 4 and and AS_POOL of ALLIANCE_POOL-1 so if the alliance pool is 4 the AS pool may be 3 but if you hold two seats from the alliance pool then alliance pool now becomes 2 and the AS pool becomes one. So even though they are drawing from the same pool AS only has access to the shallow end but the alliance has access to the whole pool.

AS is technically a member of the alliance now but they have not fully integrated their partner awards to make alliance awards available so you may still see differences in the availability which is why I suggested booking AS first. It may or may not matter depending on how CX allocates the AS pool. I would try to glean as much information as possible and then decide how best to proceed.

When using the BA tool, I do see some discrepancy between availability on CX for business class seats compared to AA, so not sure what AS sees. Also BA shows some flights on Qatar (BKK-DOH-SFO). Does AA or AS have access to those as well? I wouldn't mind a couple days in Doha, although I know I can only get that stopover if using AS miles since they allow stopovers. But it never shows up on a search on the AS website, so not sure if Qatar awards are not available at all, or I just have to call AS like you have to for CX awards).
I think AA does not allow a routing through DOH when booking from Asia to the US. You could use AA to book two Qatar awards BKK-DOH and separately DOH-SFO. We do not know what AS will allow yet on Qatar.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 12:12 am

I just called AS at 10:30 PM (PDT) to see what dates they had available for CX. the agent could only see as far out as 330 days for CX. AA's website will allow 331 days.
Since I'm taking the advice to book 2 tix with AS first then the other 2 with AA, does anyone know what time of day AS starts having access to the CX flights?
Is it midnight pacific (since AS HQ is in Seattle)?
Old Jul 6, 2021, 2:20 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan
Original Poster

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
QR awards are not available yet. Later in 2021, allegedly.
Next month, allegedly.
estnet likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 10:04 am

Programs: UA, AS
I just called AS at 10:30 PM (PDT) to see what dates they had available for CX. the agent could only see as far out as 330 days for CX. AA's website will allow 331 days.
Since I'm taking the advice to book 2 tix with AS first then the other 2 with AA, does anyone know what time of day AS starts having access to the CX flights?
Is it midnight pacific (since AS HQ is in Seattle)?
Not sure. AS calendar advances at midnight Pacific but if it is like other flights they may not see the next day availability until much later in the morning.
kayexalate likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 5:27 pm

If I have a choice of two business flights, one leaving NA early morning and arriving HKG early morning, vs leaving NA in the afternoon and arriving HKG in the evening, which is typically the better option?
Old Jul 6, 2021, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by jfdes
If I have a choice of two business flights, one leaving NA early morning and arriving HKG early morning, vs leaving NA in the afternoon and arriving HKG in the evening, which is typically the better option?
probably depends on what you want to do when you get there. Many hotels may not let you check in early AM (unless you have paid for the night before). If you're a go getter and ready to hit the ground running you can have a full day there, but you may be tired and just want to go to your hotel and sleep. also depends on how long you plan to be there and for what reasons and whether another 1/2 day will be of benefit to you vs arriving in the evening.
Old Jul 6, 2021, 6:18 pm

probably depends on what you want to do when you get there. Many hotels may not let you check in early AM (unless you have paid for the night before). If you're a go getter and ready to hit the ground running you can have a full day there, but you may be tired and just want to go to your hotel and sleep. also depends on how long you plan to be there and for what reasons and whether another 1/2 day will be of benefit to you vs arriving in the evening.
Reason for travel is for vacation (hopefully Hong Kong might be a bit more open in May...)

Will likely be there for about 3 days, on a stopover. That's probably enough for us to not need the extra half day I think
Old Jul 6, 2021, 7:07 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by jfdes
Reason for travel is for vacation (hopefully Hong Kong might be a bit more open in May...)

Will likely be there for about 3 days, on a stopover. That's probably enough for us to not need the extra half day I think
I personally love arriving early, dropping my luggage off to the hotel (and eat breakfast if they’re super nice), and force myself to stay up to get acclimated to the time zones when I cross oceans. It helps that we travel in beds in the the sky 😉

YMMV though

Last edited by TravelingZoomer; Jul 6, 2021 at 10:06 pm
Old Jul 6, 2021, 7:50 pm

this info does not exist
Any speculation?

I personally love arriving early, dropping my luggage off to the hotel (and eat breakfast if their super nice), and force myself to stay up to get acclimated to the time zones when I cross oceans. It helps that we travel in beds in the the sky 😉

YMMV though
Fair enough! That first day might be a bit rough so I think we're leaning to arriving in the evening, but good things to think about for sure
Old Jul 7, 2021, 1:31 pm

Silly question but I successfully booked CX award with AS but rep told me that they can’t add infant on lap on reward flights anymore and said to contact CX directly. I read a few blogs about CX charging high rates for on lap infants so I was ready to hear something crazy….

I called CX today and asked to add infant on lap and rep took the name and birthday and that was it. I checked the reservation and sees her name and (on lap) under my name. Does this mean she’s added? And she’ll have her own boarding pass? I’m so skeptical...
Old Jul 7, 2021, 1:33 pm

usually they would charge 10% of fare, so if they haven't then either rules have changed or you got very, very lucky :-)
Old Jul 7, 2021, 2:39 pm

Has anyone been able to book CX seats right at the end of their availability (330 - 335 days out)? I just called and the agent couldn't find any availability on three routes, from two cities, all at that time period. I tried for 1 seat for one of the routes and couldn't find it. I told him to search at 1 AM and he was able to do it (read out the flight number which I confirmed on aa.com). I also searched for an intra-Asia flight around that time and he couldn't find any seats over 5 days. Searched for both business and economy tickets. All flights have availability for 2 pax on aa.com, for all dates, all flights.

Do I just need to try again later in the day?

Edit: I repeated the search for 4 people on aa.com, and while there were a few flights that were not available, I'm still seeing availability for the majority over multiple days in that time period.
Edit2: British Airways showing similar results to aa.com

Last edited by jfdes; Jul 7, 2021 at 3:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.