Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2021, 7:04 pm

Just tried calling, wait time is over an hour .... looks like many people are trying to get bookings in. Any news on if the chart will change tomorrow? Or is it the free change/cancellation that ends today?
Old Mar 31, 2021, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by southbeach82
Just tried calling, wait time is over an hour .... looks like many people are trying to get bookings in. Any news on if the chart will change tomorrow? Or is it the free change/cancellation that ends today?
It's not unusual to have long wait times these days. There are no changes to the award chart announced. The peace of mind waiver has been extended through April 30.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ad...vel-advisories
estnet likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 7:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by southbeach82
The Peace of Mind waiver has been extended to April 30th.

James
Old Apr 1, 2021, 4:41 am

looking for CX flights to get from YYZ to TPE next year in Feb. What is strange is i can find YYZ to HKG flights but from HKG to TPE they seem to be non-existent (BA search tool). However the opposite direction TPE to HKG seems to be plentiful in the same month. What am I missing here? thanks
Old Apr 1, 2021, 11:02 am

Programs: AS MVPG
I wonder if, following the OneWorld integration, the liaison between CX and AS in the event of schedule changes and IRROPS will become more established. Historically, in the event of a minor schedule change with an AS award on CX you would be automatically re-accommodated, but in the event of a major change or cancellation, AS could work with CX to open up award inventory on the closest available scheduled flights. Following the pandemic, this seemed to be put on hold, and AS could only offer existing award inventory. I can understand why CX wouldn't want to devote huge resources and inventory to keep rescheduling award passengers that would ultimately likely cancel, but coming out of the pandemic I'd like to see a more customer friendly approach offered and know that you won't be completely SOL if your flight gets cancelled.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 11:20 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu
I wonder if, following the OneWorld integration, the liaison between CX and AS in the event of schedule changes and IRROPS will become more established. Historically, in the event of a minor schedule change with an AS award on CX you would be automatically re-accommodated, but in the event of a major change or cancellation, AS could work with CX to open up award inventory on the closest available scheduled flights. Following the pandemic, this seemed to be put on hold, and AS could only offer existing award inventory. I can understand why CX wouldn't want to devote huge resources and inventory to keep rescheduling award passengers that would ultimately likely cancel, but coming out of the pandemic I'd like to see a more customer friendly approach offered and know that you won't be completely SOL if your flight gets cancelled.
Point of Interest.....
In regards to “in the event of being rebooked while traveling” Alaska Airlines MVP and above will now get priority on the standby/waitlist for all One World flights.

This rarely discussed benefit comes in handy when your OW flight is cancelled or you need to change/they need to change your flight. You go ahead of all non-status passengers on the flight in question.

Example: Missed connecting flight to HND, after SFO to HKG on CX. You get put on a waitlist for next possible flight (ahead of non-OW psg) if not immediately confirmed for a seat on the next flight. If you don’t make it on that, it moves forward to the next. I presume you MAY also get considered for any other OW partner that flies that route (JAL for example)

The policy vaguely reads:
Priority on waitlists and when on standby1
Old Apr 1, 2021, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by sxc234
looking for CX flights to get from YYZ to TPE next year in Feb. What is strange is i can find YYZ to HKG flights but from HKG to TPE they seem to be non-existent (BA search tool). However the opposite direction TPE to HKG seems to be plentiful in the same month. What am I missing here? thanks
Are you looking around the first week of February which is around the Lunar New Year Holiday? If so good luck. HKG-TPE has nothing available then. Other than that there seems to be plentiful economy and even quite a bit of business towards the end of the month. Try searching on Qantas YYZ-TPE in case you are running into married segments and keep in mind the booking issue for flights departing shortly after midnight.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 4:48 pm

CX issues resolved on Alaska side.
Was able to book/add-on ICN-HKG then HKG-YYZ sector this afternoon (business). Seat availability matching w BA system now.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cysnows
CX issues resolved on Alaska side.
Was able to book/add-on ICN-HKG then HKG-YYZ sector this afternoon (business). Seat availability matching w BA system now.
Not so fast. I was able to add hkt-hkt a couple days ago but failed miserably today for bkk-hkg

Last edited by azepine00; Apr 4, 2021 at 6:03 pm
Old Apr 5, 2021, 6:40 pm

Just adding a data point - when I called two days ago to make changes to a CX ticket, they couldn't see any award availability at all even though aa.com was showing availability. Called today, and an excellent agent at the partner desk was able to do all the changes I wanted. As a bonus, she could see the same availability as AA, whereas in the past AS always seemed to see "minus one" availability. Was able to snag a CX First class seat for February 22, HKG-USA, for 70K AS miles.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 7:55 am

Trying to book J award ticket on AS JFK-HKG-BKK

I am trying to book 2x J seats JFK-HKG-BKK (no stopover). I am seeing the space on aa.com but not on ba.com. Searching segment by segment on ba.com shows availability JFK-HKG but nothing HKG-BKK.

I tried calling AS to book and they couldn't find availability - agent said that the availability comes and goes throughout the day, and to call back later. Reading through the last few pages here this may make sense? Availability seems to come and go? The flight does depart JFK just after midnight so not sure if I just need to tell the agent to search for 1am, but it's weird that the flight shows on aa.com but not ba.com.

EDIT: Tried calling again and the agent was able to find availability JFK-HKG-BKK but for only 1 seat, despite me seeing 2 seats on both aa.com and ba.com for at least the JFK-HKG segment. I have no idea what's going on.

Last edited by dcht; Apr 14, 2021 at 10:01 am
Old Apr 14, 2021, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by dcht
I am trying to book 2x J seats JFK-HKG-BKK (no stopover). I am seeing the space on aa.com but not on ba.com. Searching segment by segment on ba.com shows availability JFK-HKG but nothing HKG-BKK.

I tried calling AS to book and they couldn't find availability - agent said that the availability comes and goes throughout the day, and to call back later. Reading through the last few pages here this may make sense? Availability seems to come and go? The flight does depart JFK just after midnight so not sure if I just need to tell the agent to search for 1am, but it's weird that the flight shows on aa.com but not ba.com.

EDIT: Tried calling again and the agent was able to find availability JFK-HKG-BKK but for only 1 seat, despite me seeing 2 seats on both aa.com and ba.com for at least the JFK-HKG segment. I have no idea what's going on.
Did you book the one seat? Ignore BA. I would check QF and JL (JL's CX partner specific availability). Definitely mention the early morning flight and that you have heard that they need to put a 1AM time in for the search. The HKG-BKK flights are typically only available as married segments when first offered. At some point after a few months they usually show up as individual segments so if you want to risk it you can book JFK-HKG to lock in the long haul and call back to add HKG-BKK when (if) it becomes available later. It is better to book a married segment journey all the way through if you can. When calling ask for JFK-BKK on Cathay Pacific (do not mention the transit in HKG, this way they should find the married segment results) and also mention the 1AM time needed in the search.

What date are you looking for?
Sky Dreamer likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Did you book the one seat? Ignore BA. I would check QF and JL (JL's CX partner specific availability). Definitely mention the early morning flight and that you have heard that they need to put a 1AM time in for the search. The HKG-BKK flights are typically only available as married segments when first offered. At some point after a few months they usually show up as individual segments so if you want to risk it you can book JFK-HKG to lock in the long haul and call back to add HKG-BKK when (if) it becomes available later. It is better to book a married segment journey all the way through if you can. When calling ask for JFK-BKK on Cathay Pacific (do not mention the transit in HKG, this way they should find the married segment results) and also mention the 1AM time needed in the search.

What date are you looking for?
Tried calling a third time and was finally able to get it booked. Although JAL showed the 12:05am departure as having 2 J seats (the ideal flight I wanted) the AS agent couldn't see it (despite me telling them to search for 1am), but was able to see 2 J on the later flight departing at 1:35am so I booked that. 2/5/22.

It looks like CX is currently only operating one flight from JFK but I'm hopeful 10 months from now they'll have all 4 flights back up and running (or at least the flight I booked!).

Last edited by dcht; Apr 14, 2021 at 11:01 am
Old Apr 14, 2021, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by dcht
Tried calling a third time and was finally able to get it booked. Although JAL showed the 12:05am departure as having 2 J seats (the ideal flight I wanted) the AS agent couldn't see it (despite me telling them to search for 1am), but was able to see 2 J on the later flight departing at 1:35am so I booked that. 2/5/22.

It looks like CX is currently only operating one flight from JFK but I'm hopeful 10 months from now they'll have all 4 flights back up and running (or at least the flight I booked!).
Glad it worked out for you. I do see 2J on the earlier flight. Not sure why AS agents didn't see it. It's a little hard to tell now that you have booked the connecting flights since that may have affected the married segment availability to BKK showing now. If CX cancels your flight they should rebook you on another flight the same day so unless you have a very specific time restriction I wouldn't worry too much about that.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Glad it worked out for you. I do see 2J on the earlier flight. Not sure why AS agents didn't see it. It's a little hard to tell now that you have booked the connecting flights since that may have affected the married segment availability to BKK showing now. If CX cancels your flight they should rebook you on another flight the same day so unless you have a very specific time restriction I wouldn't worry too much about that.
It could be that the agent didn't even search for 1am despite me asking them to, but I'm satisfied with the later flight even though it's on a 777 and not an a350. Can't beat 100K AS miles RT! Good to know that CX will rebook me if it gets canceled. Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.