Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2021, 5:28 pm

Made a Flyertalk account just to post my Data point! I've called the Alaska MVP priority line multiple times over the last few months to book business class on Cathay. They can never find anything. After trying today, I tried the partner number - 1 (800) 307-6912 - and they saw the space!

Booking LAX-HKG-AKL right now!
estnet likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 4:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, AGR S+
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Called in today to try to add a connecting flight for HKG - LAX to make it NRT - HKG - LAX instead.

Luckily it sounded like I got a veteran CS agent who knew what she was doing booking CX. All AS agents are super nice and helpful but it sounded like CX takes a bit more work on their end to book, it’s not as simple as other carriers. She was also very talkative and narrated her steps so I have a pretty good understanding of what she did haha.

1. First confirmed space on NRT - HKG segment by itself in J, which itself sounded like a hassle. But she confirmed with me the space is the same as I found on BA.

2. She then had to take back control of the ticket from CX. Unlike other carriers, CX takes control of the ticket for award bookings even when booked through partners after the partner books the tickets.

3. She had to manually release back the J space on the long haul but immediately got it back with a married segment from NRT.

4. Even then, the award space was reserved but CX was being difficult, so she had to transfer to their partner liaison to confirm the ticket. After a few minutes the ticket got confirmed (all on one PNR/confirmation code) with a few more dollars to pay for taxes and fee ex-NRT.

CS agent if you happen to read FT, you’re an absolute allstar! Alaska is the best US program, hands down.
Oh man, this makes me nervous. I need to pull the trigger on a TPac flight today or tomorrow to secure a J seat but my ultimate destination is Australia (next Sept) and availability is understandably shut down at the moment. I called and asked if I booked SFO/LAX-HKG today, could I call back at some point down the road and add HKG-PER, assuming award space is available. Agent checked with a Sup and said yes, however J would have to be available on my original flight. Basically the only way they'd do it is to cancel the original flight and re-sell SFO/LAX-PER and there's no guarantee my canceled J seat would be returned to award inventory to grab back. Is this just a matter of agent experience/knowledge and that in fact I should be able to just add a segment and re-price the itinerary without messing with the original segment? Posts from a couple years ago make this type of change seem simple but the recent DP and my call today make me wonder if something has changed.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Originally Posted by HikingLemming
Made a Flyertalk account just to post my Data point! I've called the Alaska MVP priority line multiple times over the last few months to book business class on Cathay. They can never find anything. After trying today, I tried the partner number - 1 (800) 307-6912 - and they saw the space!

Booking LAX-HKG-AKL right now!
What dates? I can't see anything on AA for J from Nov - end of date - but was looking sfo-hkg - but that should pick up sfo-laz-hkg
Old Oct 5, 2021, 7:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SOCguy
Oh man, this makes me nervous. I need to pull the trigger on a TPac flight today or tomorrow to secure a J seat but my ultimate destination is Australia (next Sept) and availability is understandably shut down at the moment. I called and asked if I booked SFO/LAX-HKG today, could I call back at some point down the road and add HKG-PER, assuming award space is available. Agent checked with a Sup and said yes, however J would have to be available on my original flight. Basically the only way they'd do it is to cancel the original flight and re-sell SFO/LAX-PER and there's no guarantee my canceled J seat would be returned to award inventory to grab back. Is this just a matter of agent experience/knowledge and that in fact I should be able to just add a segment and re-price the itinerary without messing with the original segment? Posts from a couple years ago make this type of change seem simple but the recent DP and my call today make me wonder if something has changed.
I had no issues adding a CX F segment HKG-LAX to an existing MEL-HKG J award after a 3 month stopover in 2018. The MEL-HKG was booked 2 months prior. The F flight was added, 50K additional miles & some extra taxes & fees were collected. No CX J seats were available for awards on my original booking.

It is possible that with AS now in oneworld, policies & procedures may be different. I always had great success working with the non Partner desk agents. I had two seperate PNRs, CX F YVR-JFK & CX J JFK-HKG/11 days/HKG-CPT. I wanted to change the first PNR but was concerned about IRROPS since the arrival in JFK would be the same day as the second PNR departure. The agent combined both PNRs into one, collected 7.5K more miles and then cancelled and refunded the first PNR. 17,873 flown miles in F/J for 70K miles.

Working with another agent, I politely asked if we could try this, add that, change this and cancel that. Poof! No more marriage!

Unfortunately, CX will never be what it was. I doubt we will be able to fly east to go west again and their US network will be a shell of what it used to be. HKG was facing Political issues before Covid reared it's ugly head.

James
SOCguy and futuramadramallama like this.
Old Oct 5, 2021, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by SOCguy
They can add a segment without losing the inventory. Book to HKG now and you can add to PER later when (more like if) it becomes available.

There is an incredible gap in the skill level of AS agents that handle partner flight bookings and changes. Call the partner desk to add a segment. You may have to HUCA to get it done but it is definitely possible.

Note:
JL can be more of an issue. JAL IME is more restrictive about married segments on rebooking but CX should be no problem with the right agent.
SOCguy likes this.

Last edited by skimthetrees; Oct 5, 2021 at 7:48 pm
Old Oct 5, 2021, 8:59 pm
DUT

Programs: MVPG
All

I have a confirmed F/J award reservation from
LAX to HKG to JNB using Alaska Air miles.

It appears Cathy has dropped my the HKG to JNB leg. Reading thru the various threads on cancellations, it appears my options are nil short of rebooking at my own expense on another airline.

Before I go to battle with Alaska, does anybody have any recent successful experience getting rebooked in this situation?

Thanks, DUT
Old Oct 5, 2021, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by DUT
All

I have a confirmed F/J award reservation from
LAX to HKG to JNB using Alaska Air miles.

It appears Cathy has dropped my the HKG to JNB leg. Reading thru the various threads on cancellations, it appears my options are nil short of rebooking at my own expense on another airline.

Before I go to battle with Alaska, does anybody have any recent successful experience getting rebooked in this situation?

Thanks, DUT
If CX isn’t flying HKG-JNB, how are you proposing AS to make CX fly the route? Charter a 77W for you?

Why wouldn’t rebooking on QR through DOH be an option?
estnet, dayone and DiamondMile like this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 10:16 am
DUT

Programs: MVPG
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
If CX isn’t flying HKG-JNB, how are you proposing AS to make CX fly the route? Charter a 77W for you?

Why wouldn’t rebooking on QR through DOH be an option?

Haha, that would be really nice, but no, of course not.

Was referring to CX or AS accommodating on another airline that is flying to CPT (regardless of the routing), especially now with their OW membership…

QR is an option, but their coach awards start at 180K one way which is not an option for my dates (late Dec /early January).

I’ll keep looking…and will spend some time on the phone today 😩

Thanks for the humor 😂
DUT
Old Oct 6, 2021, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
CX isn’t going to accommodate you and has no obligation to; AS might. Suggesting some flexibility in connection (read: QR through DOH) or where you start/end in the US might help you there. If you’re going to insist on flying though HKG with CX that’s not going to happen (the transit’s unlikely to be much fun anyway).
TravelConcierge likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 2:51 am

Programs: UA 1K
I tried to book a award ticket via CX today (JNB-HKG-JFK). Agent was unable to see availability if searching individual segments (JNB-HKG or HKG-JFK). Searching JNB-JFK worked, but then she was unable to grab the flights. So we tried other options, different classes, etc, but nothing worked. She said could be IT issue, and ended up giving up and told me to call back in a couple days.

Has anyone run into issues? I think I called the right number (the old partners desk #), though this agent said it was only her second CX booking since AS joined OW.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 3:57 am

Originally Posted by kevflyer
I tried to book a award ticket via CX today (JNB-HKG-JFK). Agent was unable to see availability if searching individual segments (JNB-HKG or HKG-JFK). Searching JNB-JFK worked, but then she was unable to grab the flights. So we tried other options, different classes, etc, but nothing worked. She said could be IT issue, and ended up giving up and told me to call back in a couple days.

Has anyone run into issues? I think I called the right number (the old partners desk #), though this agent said it was only her second CX booking since AS joined OW.
Did you check availability through a partner carrier before calling? If so I suggest calling back soon and not waiting. The agent is admitting they are inexperienced which sounds like even she is not sure she is doing it right. The best option for checking this route is the JAL website. AA, BA, and QF don't show married segment availability on this route (at least for AA and QF most likely because this route is invalid for a single award in their program).

Call during business hours Pacific time for best odds in reaching an agent experienced with CX award booking.

Was this near AS schedule opening?
kalderlake likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Did you check availability through a partner carrier before calling? If so I suggest calling back soon and not waiting. The agent is admitting they are inexperienced which sounds like even she is not sure she is doing it right. The best option for checking this route is the JAL website. AA, BA, and QF don't show married segment availability on this route (at least for AA and QF most likely because this route is invalid for a single award in their program).

Call during business hours Pacific time for best odds in reaching an agent experienced with CX award booking.

Was this near AS schedule opening?
Yes near AS schedule opening. Late August so about 10 days from end of schedule. I checked on AA before I called and availability was wide open for both segments.

I just checked on JL and although the results show up in search, when I click through it says 'no fare can be found for the flights and/or cabins you selected'. As a test, I was able put the exact same CX flight on hold with AA after JL shows showed that error. Did a few more searches on JL site, and looks like all CX flights show that same error message. I even tried a simple NRT-HKG and got same thing. Wonder if this is related to the reason AS agent couldn't grab anything?

Last edited by kevflyer; Oct 15, 2021 at 10:24 am
Old Oct 15, 2021, 3:36 pm

Yes near AS schedule opening. Late August so about 10 days from end of schedule. I checked on AA before I called and availability was wide open for both segments.

I just checked on JL and although the results show up in search, when I click through it says 'no fare can be found for the flights and/or cabins you selected'. As a test, I was able put the exact same CX flight on hold with AA after JL shows showed that error. Did a few more searches on JL site, and looks like all CX flights show that same error message. I even tried a simple NRT-HKG and got same thing. Wonder if this is related to the reason AS agent couldn't grab anything?
Are you sure you are searching JAL for CX partner specific awards and not revenue tickets? I don't get that error on JL. If I search on JL, select the flights, and click "continue" it gives me a summary of the cost in miles and dollars for taxes and fuel surchage.

(must be logged in to search awards)
https://www.jal.co.jp/arl/en/jmb/awa...ner/round.html

If you are searching on AA I doubt you are searching married segments JNB-JFK because that is an invalid routing on CX through HKG and AA and won't show these flights when I search it. You are probably searching individual segments which usually is a good indicator that married segments will be available but it's not always 100 percent accurate.

Try calling AS back during business hours and see if a different agent can find the award flights. If you are outside of business hours I would still call but if the agent is still unable to find what JL shows then I would definitely call back again during business hours.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Are you sure you are searching JAL for CX partner specific awards and not revenue tickets? I don't get that error on JL. If I search on JL, select the flights, and click "continue" it gives me a summary of the cost in miles and dollars for taxes and fuel surchage.

(must be logged in to search awards)
https://www.jal.co.jp/arl/en/jmb/awa...ner/round.html

If you are searching on AA I doubt you are searching married segments JNB-JFK because that is an invalid routing on CX through HKG and AA and won't show these flights when I search it. You are probably searching individual segments which usually is a good indicator that married segments will be available but it's not always 100 percent accurate.

Try calling AS back during business hours and see if a different agent can find the award flights. If you are outside of business hours I would still call but if the agent is still unable to find what JL shows then I would definitely call back again during business hours.
Yes I was searching for partner. I was using the 'oneworld Award Tickets' tab to search. I was able to choose other airlines (i.e. QR) and move to the next screen showing # of miles needed and taxes. It only errors out on CX flights.

Your link points to the 'JMB Partner Airlines Award Tickets' tab, so I tried that for the flights I'm looking for and it immediately showed an error:
Warning Please confirm the following.
Error: There are no seats available on flights matching the conditions you specified. Please change the search conditions and try again. (9100)
Error: The flights you selected may be fully booked, please change the date or other conditions and search again.
So the oneworld tab at least shows the flights, but when clicking continue, it errors out. The JMB tab doesn't even show any flights and errors out right away.

But this is also interesting: as a test, I searched for HKG-YVR in Y for Jun 29. The JMB tab is able to find that flight and display # of miles and taxes. But when I use the oneworld tab, selecting the exact same flight and clicking continue shows error I saw before which is: Please confirm the following. Error: No fare can be found for the flights and/or cabins you selected. Please search again and select another cabin and/or different flights. (5685 - 2201)

I'll call AS shortly and report back.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 6:09 pm

Yes I was searching for partner. I was using the 'oneworld Award Tickets' tab to search. I was able to choose other airlines (i.e. QR) and move to the next screen showing # of miles needed and taxes. It only errors out on CX flights.

Your link points to the 'JMB Partner Airlines Award Tickets' tab, so I tried that for the flights I'm looking for and it immediately showed an error:

So the oneworld tab at least shows the flights, but when clicking continue, it errors out. The JMB tab doesn't even show any flights and errors out right away.
You want to use the "JMB Partner Airlines Award Tickets" tab and select Cathay Pacific as the partner airlines. The reason it errors out right away may be because you have not logged in. I mentioned in my previous post you must be logged in to search. Click on the Japan Airlines logo at the top to get to the main page to log-in, then return to the search page and search. I deep linked the partner search page because it can be difficult to find from the home page but the drawback is you will get an error immediately unless you are already logged in.

But this is also interesting: as a test, I searched for HKG-YVR in Y for Jun 29. The JMB tab is able to find that flight and display # of miles and taxes. But when I use the oneworld tab, selecting the exact same flight and clicking continue shows error I saw before which is: Please confirm the following. Error: No fare can be found for the flights and/or cabins you selected. Please search again and select another cabin and/or different flights. (5685 - 2201)

I'll call AS shortly and report back.
For finding awards that match best with what Alaska has the best way is to use the JMB partner specific search, not the oneworld search. If you are having trouble searching on JAL but can find individual segments on AA then definitely call Alaska back and talk to a different agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.