Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability (2019-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2022, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
So far I have had no luck finding J space on TPAC. I did get Premium Economy for early next year
Old Dec 16, 2022, 5:23 pm

Does AS have access to CX availability showing on OW partners? I see SGN-HKG available on both AA and BA but not on AS. Would the AS partner desk be able to see this availability?
Old Dec 16, 2022, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by 22calbr
Does AS have access to CX availability showing on OW partners? I see SGN-HKG available on both AA and BA but not on AS. Would the AS partner desk be able to see this availability?
In theory it’s the same but each airlines books out slightly differently. IIRC Alaska partner awards are 330 days out, AA is 331 and BA is 360.
Old Dec 16, 2022, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA, AS
It's not clear if they have migrated from individual partner to OneWorld availability yet. To me it looks almost like they have left CX from SGN off their online system completely. I don't know if this is because their partner agreement did not include it or whether it is a mistake. If I wanted it I would definitely call in and ask. Since everyone here says if it is not shown online the agents cannot see it either you would probably have to ask them to long-sell it, which they probably won't want to do but if you find availability it's worth a shot.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 12:22 pm

Is anyone seeing Premium economy for TPE to LAX for October or November 2023?

Several weeks ago, I was able to see Premium economy for LAX to TPE on CX.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Pulley
I got two J seats in October from HKG to JFK.
Thanks for posting, that prompted me to search again for JFK to SIN in September next year and I lucked out and found 2x J seats on CX for the incredible 50K miles... I have been keen to lock in at that rate before the rumored price increase (btw... while searching I noticed that AS want 120K miles for Korean Air one-way J for same route, even when it is "mixed cabin" with the TPAC in Y, that feels like an almost doubling in price since last time I looked).

This booking burns down almost all my AS miles. I will have to find alternate currency for the return trip, which may have to be a different airline and certainly way more than 50K. It's a pity that AS are not partners with any of the major credit card "transferable currency" programs.

DAK
Old Dec 17, 2022, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by dkerr
Thanks for posting, that prompted me to search again for JFK to SIN in September next year and I lucked out and found 2x J seats on CX for the incredible 50K miles... I have been keen to lock in at that rate before the rumored price increase (btw... while searching I noticed that AS want 120K miles for Korean Air one-way J for same route, even when it is "mixed cabin" with the TPAC in Y, that feels like an almost doubling in price since last time I looked).

This booking burns down almost all my AS miles. I will have to find alternate currency for the return trip, which may have to be a different airline and certainly way more than 50K. It's a pity that AS are not partners with any of the major credit card "transferable currency" programs.

DAK
Korean flights are priced as a round-trip. The 120k price is the round-trip price. That flight will show as 60k if it is part of a round trip but Korean will not allow half round-trip pricing for a one-way trip (you pay full round-trip price for a one-way). AS does allow you to combine a different partner for one direction of the round-trip (you can get 1/2 round-trip price for a Korean Airlines one-way so long as your booking is a round-trip itin even if one direction is not on Korean).
kalderlake likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by dkerr

DAK
Redemptions on KAL are priced as round trips - one ways cost as much as round trips.
Mikechan likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Korean flights are priced as a round-trip. The 120k price is the round-trip price. That flight will show as 60k if it is part of a round trip but Korean will not allow half round-trip pricing for a one-way trip (you pay full round-trip price for a one-way). AS does allow you to combine a different partner for one direction of the round-trip (you can get 1/2 round-trip price for a Korean Airlines one-way so long as your booking is a round-trip itin even if one direction is not on Korean).
Originally Posted by flytoeat
Redemptions on KAL are priced as round trips - one ways cost as much as round trips.
Duh. Yes I should have remembered that. Thanks for posting the correct info.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
It's not clear if they have migrated from individual partner to OneWorld availability yet. To me it looks almost like they have left CX from SGN off their online system completely. I don't know if this is because their partner agreement did not include it or whether it is a mistake. If I wanted it I would definitely call in and ask. Since everyone here says if it is not shown online the agents cannot see it either you would probably have to ask them to long-sell it, which they probably won't want to do but if you find availability it's worth a shot.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I was shot down earlier today by the international partner desk as they are unwilling to long-sell flights on CX, as CX award inventory has been completely integrated onto AS website.
Old Dec 19, 2022, 5:49 pm

Thanks for the detailed reply. I was shot down earlier today by the international partner desk as they are unwilling to long-sell flights on CX, as CX award inventory has been completely integrated onto AS website.
Alaska has said they are migrating to a combined award chart in late December (which may mean full OneWorld integration) and when that happens you might have a chance to book it.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 12:22 am

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
I'm having issues confirming CX flights showing up on AS and on AA. Did Alaska just shut out all mileage partner redemptions??? Merry Christmas...
Old Dec 21, 2022, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by keitherson
I'm having issues confirming CX flights showing up on AS and on AA. Did Alaska just shut out all mileage partner redemptions??? Merry Christmas...
Just now...

Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 21, 2022, 10:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by keitherson
Yes, Mileaplan is becoming the new SkyPesos. Spend all your miles on domestic redemptions and never look back

(Don’t look at my 8 JAL and 4 CX redemptions next year Mileage Plan is terrible)
Old Dec 21, 2022, 11:37 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Hong Kong lifts restrictions from December 22nd

Hong Kong welcomes all travelers 22 December 2022

Hong Kong has lifted its amber health code travel restrictions—meaning that all incoming travelers who test negative upon arrival are free to roam the city, go to restaurants and bars, enter theme parks and much more.

James
mlqsko and kalderlake like this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Dec 21, 2022 at 11:43 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.