Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DrAlex
Yeah, I saw my first EF alert fail two weeks ago - one U space was available on a flight this fall and radio silence.
Opposite for me. I set an Alert and found U on my own, called in and upgraded. U space disappeared but I later got an EF Alert telling me U was available, which wasn't.

It is certainly possible for U to come and go between the intervals that EF is checking. It is also possible that the EF alert on finding U could be outdated when you get it with someone else already taking the U.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jun 27, 2019 at 1:40 pm
Old Jun 27, 2019, 1:46 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I've got multiple alerts set up on EF and haven't heard a peep

So I just decided I'd go check on them and force the alert search to run, and most of my alerts are currently giving the error: "An error has occurred while communicating with the airline reservation system. The support team has been notified of this problem. Thank you for your patience and understanding."
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:23 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Silver
Recently completed PDX-KEF-CDG on FI - and have received the miles, both RDM and EQM for both segments. I ended up in 'L' Class, which is what my booking showed. This earned me miles at a 50% rate. However, I printed BPs from kiosks at both PDX and KEF, and received BPs that display "Class: M." This would earn 100% instead, so is this worth even taking up with Alaska?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by jtroche1203
Recently completed PDX-KEF-CDG on FI - and have received the miles, both RDM and EQM for both segments. I ended up in 'L' Class, which is what my booking showed. This earned me miles at a 50% rate. However, I printed BPs from kiosks at both PDX and KEF, and received BPs that display "Class: M." This would earn 100% instead, so is this worth even taking up with Alaska?
AS has been requesting incvoices recently.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jun 29, 2019 at 8:46 am
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by jtroche1203
FI doesn't put the actual booking class on the boarding pass so next time don't put your AS # in and hope rep accidentally credits based on the boarding pass and not the e-ticket receipt.
Similar with my CX flights boarding pass shows Y but i didn't have Y fare. AS required the receipt which showed the actual class and credit was based on that so YMMV.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS Peon
My SO is looking at flight AS2326 SEA-FAT on September 2nd (which, weirdly enough, is Horizon rather than Skywest?). Currently for sale is full fare Y tickets for $399, which despite being a holiday, is still much higher than we'd normally see. However, since it is full fare Y, the fare rules say it is fully refundable and changeable with no change fees. Specifically in the fare rules, I see the following:

"Penalties: CANCELLATIONS ANY TIME CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED. NOTE - IN ALL CASES REFUNDS OR CANCELLATIONS MAY NOT BE MADE AT AN AIRPORT TICKET COUNTER. A/ COMPLETELY UNSED TICKETS FOR REFUNDS / CANCELLATIONS OF COMPLETELY UNUSED TICKETS MADE THRU ALASKAAIR.COM OR ALASKA AIRLINES RESERVATIONS. 1/ A COMPLETELY UNUSED ITINERARY THAT CONTAINS ONLY UNRESTRICTED FARES ANY RESIDUAL AMOUNT IS REFUNDABLE BACK OT ORIGINAL FORM OF PAYMENT. A FEE DOES NOT APPLY FOR REFUND."

I'm not misunderstanding anything when I say, due to the bolded part above, she would be safe to buy the $399 flight now, and if it later drops to a more reasonable price, she could cancel her ticket, get a full refund to her credit card, and book the cheaper flight? She has no Alaska status whatsoever, other than just being a member. There are no gotchas or anything here? I can post the full rules if that would be helpful, but the fare basis is YH0OASMR if that's helpful.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by emag_eh7
I'm not misunderstanding anything when I say, due to the bolded part above, she would be safe to buy the $399 flight now, and if it later drops to a more reasonable price, she could cancel her ticket, get a full refund to her credit card, and book the cheaper flight? She has no Alaska status whatsoever, other than just being a member. There are no gotchas or anything here? I can post the full rules if that would be helpful, but the fare basis is YH0OASMR if that's helpful.
This is correct, with the caution that if your SO is buying a RT ticket and one half of the ticket is a cheaper non-refundable fare, the entire ticket will inherit that restriction. In that case, it is better to buy two one-way tickets to preserve the flexibility of the full-fare leg.
be_rettSEA and emag_eh7 like this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 12:01 am

Additionally, If you book the fully refundable ticket and later not need it, it is essential that you cancel it before the flight departure time. Failing to do so would result in a no-show and the value of the ticket would be forfeited.

James
emag_eh7 likes this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jun 29, 2019 at 12:33 am
Old Jun 29, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: AS Peon
Thank you both! We will definitely purchase as a OW and hope for a price drop!
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
SEA Stopover

AS used to have a policy that you could book any ticket via SEA and get a free stopover in SEA. E.g. BOS-SEA//SEA-HNL with a week in SEA would be the same as through fare BOS-HNL. It doesn't seem to price that way when booked via multi city fare search.

Has AS discontinued the SEA stopover? If not, how do you book it?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:55 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by seacarl
AS used to have a policy that you could book any ticket via SEA and get a free stopover in SEA. E.g. BOS-SEA//SEA-HNL with a week in SEA would be the same as through fare BOS-HNL. It doesn't seem to price that way when booked via multi city fare search.

Has AS discontinued the SEA stopover? If not, how do you book it?
Most fares don't allow it anymore. Some do, the only way you'd know is if you looked at the fare rules. I believe it's mostly more expensive fares, and sometimes broken fares are cheaper anyway. YMMV.

To book it you'd use multi-city, and then view by price rather than by schedule.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: UA AS DL Hyatt SPG/Bonvoy HHonors
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Most fares don't allow it anymore. Some do, the only way you'd know is if you looked at the fare rules. I believe it's mostly more expensive fares, and sometimes broken fares are cheaper anyway. YMMV.
That's too bad. It used to be a great way to combine trips to Hawaii and East Coast, if you could interleave them. I haven't tried to book one on in a while.

Are there any free places to view fare rules?
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:10 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by seacarl
That's too bad. It used to be a great way to combine trips to Hawaii and East Coast, if you could interleave them. I haven't tried to book one on in a while.

Are there any free places to view fare rules?
You can view the full fare rules on Alaska's site. Just start a booking for particular flights, and before purchase, there is a link on the confirmation page to view fare rules - a high level summary, and then the full fare rule details.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:08 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Anybody have experience with how the free MVPG cancellations work with tickets booked through Amex travel? I want to use the business platinum book with points 35% rebate on an AS F ticket for a flight with me and my wife (both are MVPG). However her travel plans may change for work and we may end up needing to cancel or change her flight. In the past when I've booked through an agency I haven't been able to simply hit the cancel button on the AS website, and I don't want to lose the value of the ticket or screw up my reservation if AS isn't able to modify later on their end. And on that note, given our schedule uncertainty, would it be better to book each of our tickets separately through Amex so we're on separate PNRs? I'm also not sure what the AS limitations are on splitting PNRs with agency tickets
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by brosnan6
Anybody have experience with how the free MVPG cancellations work with tickets booked through Amex travel? I want to use the business platinum book with points 35% rebate on an AS F ticket for a flight with me and my wife (both are MVPG). However her travel plans may change for work and we may end up needing to cancel or change her flight. In the past when I've booked through an agency I haven't been able to simply hit the cancel button on the AS website, and I don't want to lose the value of the ticket or screw up my reservation if AS isn't able to modify later on their end. And on that note, given our schedule uncertainty, would it be better to book each of our tickets separately through Amex so we're on separate PNRs? I'm also not sure what the AS limitations are on splitting PNRs with agency tickets
Not 100% sure if this is the same exact situation, I know chase uses Expedia for flights.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...ighlight=Chase

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.