Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2019, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: pcoll
A slight change to this thread for 2020. Please include whether a menu card was offered along with the other information:

Date:
Route:
Flight Number:
Departure time:
Menu: Yes/No
Meal description (if given) Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack:
Print Wikipost

What Will Alaska Airlines Be Serving in First Class on Your Flight? (2019)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2019, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
More and more I find myself self-catering via Waji's or that new Vietnamese place on the North Satellite.

It seems like in an effort to please picky vegan and/or "healthy eating" types the chefs are trying to get cute with an abundance of kale, arugula, those weird egg rounds and stewed/broiled apples accompanying the fish. There are a few good dishes of course such as the Peruvian Chicken, but more and more they seem to be the exception rather than the rule. At least per my relatively omnivorous tastes. Anyway, you'll never please everyone in this regard and I expect that as is often the case I'm in the minority with my viewpoint on this latest iteration of Alaska's catering.

While I used to get excited about the inflight catering in First Class, these days I'm mainly happy to have the more spacious accommodations. I think I'll temper any heightened gastronomic anticipation for domestic flights and save it for inter-continental First Class travel on non-US airlines.

BTW, I am often the envy of those in my row with that Waji's chicken and veggie bowl. Good stuff!
rustykettel likes this.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Oct 1, 2019 at 3:15 pm
Old Oct 1, 2019, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
More and more I find myself self-catering via Waji's or that new Vietnamese place on the North Satellite.

It seems like in an effort to please picky vegan and/or "healthy eating" types the chefs are trying to get cute with an abundance of kale, arugula, those weird egg rounds and stewed/broiled apples accompanying the fish. There are a few good dishes of course such as the Peruvian Chicken, but more and more they seem to be the exception rather than the rule. At least per my relatively omnivorous tastes. Anyway, you'll never please everyone in this regard and I expect that as is often the case I'm in the minority with my viewpoint on this latest iteration of Alaska's catering.

While I used to get excited about the inflight catering in First Class, these days I'm mainly happy to have the more spacious accommodations. I think I'll temper any heightened gastronomic anticipation for domestic flights and save it for inter-continental First Class travel on non-US airlines.

BTW, I am often the envy of those in my row with that Waji's chicken and veggie bowl. Good stuff!
Very well stated....and I agree 100%. It would be nice if they had some type of a compromise between one choice of "comfort food" (like a bacon and Tillamook cheddar omelette with fried potatoes, fresh fruit, and a danish or muffin) and then one of the "weird" choices packed full of kale and arugula It's not rocket science people...
Old Oct 1, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
I’m flying PAE-PHX tomorrow (depart 6:50pm) via AS operated by Horizon. Upgraded to F (U class).
for meals it says “Food for purchase”. Is it showing this because I’ve been upgraded and I will be served a meal or do I need to find something in PAE’a tiny airport to eat for dinner?
Just wondering since it’s a Horizon operated AS flight.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I’m on a red eye from SFO-PHL later this week. Is this just a normal snack basket or is snack like a plated single choice offering?
Old Oct 1, 2019, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Bellerina
I’m flying PAE-PHX tomorrow (depart 6:50pm) via AS operated by Horizon. Upgraded to F (U class).
for meals it says “Food for purchase”. Is it showing this because I’ve been upgraded and I will be served a meal or do I need to find something in PAE’a tiny airport to eat for dinner?
You should get some sort of a meal on this flight if you've been upgraded to First Class. That said, I've heard that there's a Beecher's restaurant in the PAE airport and they have pretty good food if you prefer to not take your chances on what you may get on the plane. Food for purchase is for the Coach cabin - First Class will always have something else - even if it's just a light snack.
Bellerina likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10
I’m on a red eye from SFO-PHL later this week. Is this just a normal snack basket or is snack like a plated single choice offering?
red-eye flights from the west coast to the east coast are offering a warm 1/2 sandwich with chips snack and then a smoothie shot before arriving.
JHake10 likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Very well stated....and I agree 100%. It would be nice if they had some type of a compromise between one choice of "comfort food" (like a bacon and Tillamook cheddar omelette with fried potatoes, fresh fruit, and a danish or muffin) and then one of the "weird" choices packed full of kale and arugula It's not rocket science people...
I can't say I agree 100% with your vegetable-ante ways! What did they ever do to you? Yes, potatoes are a vegetable, but more of a staple. Sauteed colourful bell peppers and sweet pearl onions with the fried potatoes (purple, red & white fingerlings) would be a step forward. Teasing of course, but any meal without vegetables is, well, just not a meal deal for me. I always feel cheated at an "a la carte" restaurant that doesn't include a startch or vegetables with the protein. A muffin is a miniscule upgrade from a danish and neither remotely as devine as haricots vert, asparagus spears, sauteed button mushrooms or the supremicy of peppery arugula & godliness of Kale. Cut the chemical laden baked crap & add a side vegetable and I think we would be on the same page.

Bacon is it's own food group, no need to debate that. Chocolate covered bacon is awesome. Hey AS! How about bacon chocolate bars for the next round? p)

James
Bellerina likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by AS Flyer
You should get some sort of a meal on this flight if you've been upgraded to First Class. That said, I've heard that there's a Beecher's restaurant in the PAE airport and they have pretty good food if you prefer to not take your chances on what you may get on the plane. Food for purchase is for the Coach cabin - First Class will always have something else - even if it's just a light snack.
Thanks! I thought as much but started to second guess myself.

Given only 4/12 seats are currently occupied in F and nobody on the waitlist, I’ll be interested to see what service is like on this flight. Fingers crossed for a PDB!
Old Oct 2, 2019, 8:58 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by Bellerina
You can always look at the Flight Schedules page for how it's coded, that's a Dinner flight. On this route/aircraft, that likely means either the Slime Sandwich (sometimes turkey, sometimes chicken-there are hundreds of them pictured in this thread) or the noodle salad (sometimes beef, sometimes chicken).

On a sidenote, this has quickly become my favorite aircraft in the fleet - the A seats are just perfect if you're traveling by yourself, especially 2A or 3A.
Bellerina likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
You can always look at the Flight Schedules page for how it's coded, that's a Dinner flight. On this route/aircraft, that likely means either the Slime Sandwich (sometimes turkey, sometimes chicken-there are hundreds of them pictured in this thread) or the noodle salad (sometimes beef, sometimes chicken).

On a sidenote, this has quickly become my favorite aircraft in the fleet - the A seats are just perfect if you're traveling by yourself, especially 2A or 3A.
I didn’t know that about the Flight Schedule page. Thanks!
And yes, as a solo traveller, the A seats are great. Of the 4 seats currently occupied 3 of them are A seats.
Old Oct 3, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Date: October 2, 2019
Route: SEA-DEN
Flight Number: AS 1182
Departure Time: 7:50 pm
Meal/Snack: Dinner
Menu: None
Meal/Snack Description: Turkey Gouda Sandwich or Chicken Salad

Turkey Gouda sandwich, tasted decent enough with a pepper and leaf mix on top with some sort of sauce already on the sandwich, served with Tim's cascade chips. Other choice was a salad with chicken on top, which came with a bread roll. Turkey was actually present in the sandwich compared to the 3 razor thin slices you usually get from a cheap catered meal, bread held up well, soft on the inside and firm on the outside. Seattle Chocolate served on the tray.

Old Oct 4, 2019, 7:22 am

Date: 10/3/2019
Route: PDX-PAE
Flight Number: 2883
Departure time: 15:50 (30 minute flight time)
Menu: No
Meal description (if given): None

Even though it was a short flight, PDB was given. Options were orange juice or champagne.

Due to rough weather, no beverage service was available. However fruit and nut package was passed out as snack option. Better than nothing!
Old Oct 4, 2019, 7:27 am

Date:10/3/2019
Route: BOS-SFO
Flight Number: AS 1351
Departure time: 8:20 AM ( 6 hours 26 minute flight)
Menu: Yes - given in air
Meal description (if given) Breakfast

PDB was just orange juice today. Menus were given in the air 20 minutes after departure.
Pumpkin Apple Cider smoothie tasted sweet but refreshing.
Only option I had was the Montamore Omelet. I got upgraded 3 hours prior to departure so I wasn’t able to choose my meal. Plus I was in row 3 (last row on new Airbus A320).

Omelet was somewhat salty but still good.

Snack basket consisted of usual snacks (kind bar, popchips, nuts, etc.)

Menu for today

Montamore Omelet
Old Oct 5, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jjmadison
AS 1090 SFO-IAD 940am departure. Instead of breakfast, turkey sandwiches with chips were served. Mainly bread, and not filling.

I asked about the frittata I had preordered. The FA said the oven was broken and, despite the crew’s attempts to get a replacement since yesterday, AS hasn’t replaced the oven. She said the same thing happened earlier this month and her captain has been complaining to “high ups”, and they are frustrated. Prior to the door closing, there were loud and heated convos with the ground crew presumably on this topic.

Since they knew this was an issue prior to boarding, it would have been nice if they had let us know so we could have purchased breakfast elsewhere.
I flew SEA to LAX on an Airbus recently, and we were delayed almost two hours at the gate while they tried to fix the electric system that supplied the galleys. The water was also down, so we were advised that maintenance was coming on to fix the lavs and the electric system so we could have hot water, tea, and coffee for the flight. Nothing was mentioned about the oven, but after waiting, maintenance was unable to fix the issue, so they decided to write it up, and we continued on to LAX.

Fast forward to the breakfast meal service where the FA started offering protein platters to everyone in F. One passenger asked her what the hot option was, and she confessed that the oven was also out of commission (which hadn't been mentioned previously). She said, "Well, we normally have the egg bites, but today it's just the protein platter because of the oven issue."

Now I'm wondering whether I was actually on the same plane as the quoted poster (or perhaps AS literally has Airbus planes breaking left and right.

Interestingly, one of the excuses the FA provided when one passenger seemed upset was "Oh, I think it's just an Airbus thing," but I was surprised when subsequently later admitted that she herself was ex-VX!

While I prefer the old Airbus seats and layout, too many things seem to be breaking lately without being properly repaired. It's probably a safer bet to stick to the 737s and E175s for now to avoid these maintenance issues.
pcoll likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by safari ari
Date: October 2, 2019
Route: SEA-DEN
Flight Number: AS 1182
Departure Time: 7:50 pm
Meal/Snack: Dinner
Menu: None
Meal/Snack Description: Turkey Gouda Sandwich or Chicken Salad

Turkey Gouda sandwich, tasted decent enough with a pepper and leaf mix on top with some sort of sauce already on the sandwich, served with Tim's cascade chips. Other choice was a salad with chicken on top, which came with a bread roll. Turkey was actually present in the sandwich compared to the 3 razor thin slices you usually get from a cheap catered meal, bread held up well, soft on the inside and firm on the outside. Seattle Chocolate served on the tray.
Same on the PAE-PHX flight last Wednesday at 6.50pm. Though the FA described the salad as a "greek" type salad with chicken. I went with the sandwich. It was acceptable.
PDB of Orange Juice and Sparkling wine. To be fair only 8/12 seats were occupied in F.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.