Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The New SFO Alaska Lounge (Opened 8/31/2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The New SFO Alaska Lounge (Opened 8/31/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2021, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Calculon
Lol I’ve made fun of the pancake machine here before, because I don’t think it’s all that amazing (or rare. I mean, how many Holiday Inn Expresses are there?). Also am not a big pancake guy either, but it would be a lie if I said I never partook once in a while. Plus, some people really like to load up on carbs just before several hours of sitting in a chair, so I’m happy it’s there.
I fail to understand the delight of the panqueque machines. They're ok, but that's about it, and I am unanimous in that! They do suck up the Morning Mary or Mimosa pretty well. That said, my typical morning fare is to toast a bagel, put some cream cheezy on it, sprinkle pepper on that, and then slice a couple of hard boiled eggs in half and have a sandwich.

But most importantly, I sincerely (and yes, sincerely) hope that the cawfee in the AS Lounge is far superior to that which AA used to serve in the same space. That stuff was Ay Trow Shus.
jiburi, Geordie405 and NoLaGent like this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 7:27 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I fail to understand the delight of the panqueque machines. They're ok, but that's about it, and I am unanimous in that! They do suck up the Morning Mary or Mimosa pretty well. That said, my typical morning fare is to toast a bagel, put some cream cheezy on it, sprinkle pepper on that, and then slice a couple of hard boiled eggs in half and have a sandwich.

But most importantly, I sincerely (and yes, sincerely) hope that the cawfee in the AS Lounge is far superior to that which AA used to serve in the same space. That stuff was Ay Trow Shus.
Morning Mary followed by coffee = power breakfast. The other AS lounges do pretty well with brewed coffee, and having a barista (I hope?) is a good alternative for those who want something freshly made, so my confidence is high that it'll be good at this one.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 7:39 pm

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by Calculon
Morning Mary followed by coffee = power breakfast. The other AS lounges do pretty well with brewed coffee, and having a barista (I hope?) is a good alternative for those who want something freshly made, so my confidence is high that it'll be good at this one.
There is an espresso / coffee machine and barista! ☕️
NoLaGent and Calculon like this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by anteater
There is an espresso / coffee machine and barista! ☕️
Can confirm, also can confirm the morning barista knows what he is doing.
Eastbay1K, brp, NoLaGent and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 31, 2021, 8:25 pm

Look forward to checking it out on Friday morning before a long weekend! Agree that it may be less optimal than the original very cool vision, but AS’ presence at SFO is arguably also less optimal than their original expansionary vision, so overall this is a solid win for those of us in the Bay Area.
NoLaGent, Tack and ItsAnAdam like this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 7:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by BayAreaTrvler
Agree that it may be less optimal than the original very cool vision, but AS’ presence at SFO is arguably also less optimal than their original expansionary vision, so overall this is a solid win for those of us in the Bay Area.
I’ll second that. A lot of what AS has done isn’t optimal. So I’m focusing on the one thing they did that was optimal for me…OW entry. For mea game changer in them earning some of my travel $$.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 9:06 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Look forward to checking it out on Friday morning before a long weekend! Agree that it may be less optimal than the original very cool vision, but AS’ presence at SFO is arguably also less optimal than their original expansionary vision, so overall this is a solid win for those of us in the Bay Area.
Yep - am happy to have it there for when I do fly to (or through) SFO, and am glad they hit their deadline for opening this one. I'm sure had COVID not drastically changed their account balances, route network and priorities, they may have opened something gorgeous in the new space, but prefer having a lounge open sooner (or at all) vs none or waiting a few more years.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA*S, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond | Formerly: AC Super Elite
Currently in the SFO AS Lounge. It's really nice - two soups with a really fluffy roll, same Teavana tea selection as SEA N. The one part where this lounge is better than SEA N is that there are FOUR salad dressings!!!!! FOUR!!!! Ranch, Blue Cheese, Feta Vinagrette, and Honey Mustard

BTW - if you find that it is simple and intuitive to pour soup, you have me to thank. I was struggling HARD to pour soup into my bowl, while the lounge staff were watching and deliberating on what's going on and how to fix it. Turns out the sneeze shield can be rotated up lol
jaloola likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by maradori

BTW - if you find that it is simple and intuitive to pour soup, you have me to thank. I was struggling HARD to pour soup into my bowl, while the lounge staff were watching and deliberating on what's going on and how to fix it. Turns out the sneeze shield can be rotated up lol
Thank you, I was trying really hard not to make a mess yesterday with only limited success!
Old Sep 1, 2021, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by maradori
Currently in the SFO AS Lounge. It's really nice - two soups with a really fluffy roll, same Teavana tea selection as SEA N. The one part where this lounge is better than SEA N is that there are FOUR salad dressings!!!!! FOUR!!!! Ranch, Blue Cheese, Feta Vinagrette, and Honey Mustard

OMG. I didn't want to say anything because I felt really stupid, but THANK YOU! It was really hard to use.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 9:47 am

In the lounge this morning, and it’s a good space. Lots of staff, mostly new and clearly finding their way, with some oversight and assistance from staff from other AL’s. Prepare to hunt a bit for outlets. Talking with the staff, it sounds like the furniture was a late-night move in the night prior to opening, which explains why several things aren’t hooked up. Even in the eating area, the outlet spaces are covered by a blank plastic cover. To their credit, they made the opening date! Drink selection is a little different from other clubs - wonder if it was improvised awaiting the regular AS fare.
be_rettSEA, anteater and Guate87 like this.
Old Sep 3, 2021, 3:29 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Drink selection is a little different from other clubs - wonder if it was improvised awaiting the regular AS fare.
I thought I read somewhere that drink selection was tailored to be SF/Bay-Area-specific. Did it match that sort of a description, in which case it might stay?

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Sep 3, 2021 at 5:48 pm
Old Sep 4, 2021, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by brp
I thought I read somewhere that drink selection was tailored to be SF/Bay-Area-specific. Did it match that sort of a description, in which case it might stay?

Cheers.
Well, perhaps, but it didn’t strike me that way overall. The beer selection clearly is tailored to the SF Bay Area, but as others have noted above, there isn’t any beer yet to go with the tap handles. All in good time, and happy to wait it out. On the other hand, “Cooks” is the sparkling wine selection, which doesn’t strike me as a particularly tailored selection, nor do any of the other wines.
be_rettSEA and anteater like this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 12:36 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Pretty impressed that this lounge offers fresh food from a self-serve buffet, provides metal utensils, proper glassware and chinaware. It's like stepping into a pre-covid lounge. The only minor disappointment was the lack of desserts since only cookies were available. Also the dining area on the right side of the lounge is too open lacking privacy with a very basic furniture arrangement IMHO.

Entrance.

Reception.

Reception.

Rotunda.

Breakfast buffet.

Lunch buffet.

Dining area
Carfield, skyblue, Boraxo and 9 others like this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 1:42 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Well, perhaps, but it didn’t strike me that way overall. The beer selection clearly is tailored to the SF Bay Area, but as others have noted above, there isn’t any beer yet to go with the tap handles. All in good time, and happy to wait it out. On the other hand, “Cooks” is the sparkling wine selection, which doesn’t strike me as a particularly tailored selection, nor do any of the other wines.
Thanks for the update. Surprised about the wines as that is what the Bay Area is known for. Cooks is definitely downscale. OTOH, the Admiral's Club offers no sparkling option at all on the "house" menu.. So this is a "glass completely full or totally empty" situation

Cheers.
jaloola, BayAreaTrvler and RAD_PDX like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.