Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Baze
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2018!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
For the 2017 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2018 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by sturges
Since when has AS been sending QX E175s on SEA-LAX? Was looking for a flight today and saw a new flight # in the mix. It seems like more and more I'm seeing pmVX aircraft on this route (which I actively avoid), so this is a nice change ^
They are changing a lot of things up to put the right planes on the right routes and times. BOS-LAX for instance is moving to 737.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:30 am
vji

Do some flights not allow checked bags period? Flying on an E75 and checkin on the app would not allow me to select the number of bags (only choice was 0). Checkin on the website skipped the checked bags page entirely. I need to check some bags for this flight...
Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond
Have a question about changing class of service at check-in counter. Say I've booked a discount ticket in Economy (V) and would like to bump to M or Y or business/first class. Can I do this at the airport when I check in? Are the rules different across airlines or is there any common rule that most airlines follow?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Domo5
Have a question about changing class of service at check-in counter. Say I've booked a discount ticket in Economy (V) and would like to bump to M or Y or business/first class. Can I do this at the airport when I check in? Are the rules different across airlines or is there any common rule that most airlines follow?
Yes, you can upfare to a higher fare bucket or cabin at any time prior to when ticketing closes prior to flight, if the desired fare is still available. You will have to pay the fare difference and the change fee unless you're Gold or 75K or (missydarlin please correct me if I've got it wrong here) you're upfaring to a refundable F fare. An agent may waive the change fee for upgrading to a non-refundable First P fare but it's totally at their discretion and should not be counted on.

If U space is available after any elites have cleared, you may be able to purchase an upgrade but this will not change your original booked fare class as far as mileage earning is concerned.

ETA: If you're wishing to increase your mileage earnings, best time to upfare is closest to your original booking. Within 24 hours of the original ticket purchase, the change fee is waived for MVPs & non-elites, and depending how far out you're upfaring, your desired fare class may have better availability. If the price drops afterwards, you can take advantage of Alaska's low price guarantee and refund the difference as a future travel credit.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel

Yes, you can upfare to a higher fare bucket or cabin at any time prior to when ticketing closes prior to flight, if the desired fare is still available. You will have to pay the fare difference and the change fee unless you're Gold or 75K or (missydarlin please correct me if I've got it wrong here) you're upfaring to a refundable F fare. An agent may waive the change fee for upgrading to a non-refundable First P fare but it's totally at their discretion and should not be counted on.

If U space is available after any elites have cleared, you may be able to purchase an upgrade but this will not change your original booked fare class as far as mileage earning is concerned.

ETA: If you're wishing to increase your mileage earnings, best time to upfare is closest to your original booking. Within 24 hours of the original ticket purchase, the change fee is waived for MVPs & non-elites, and depending how far out you're upfaring, your desired fare class may have better availability. If the price drops afterwards, you can take advantage of Alaska's low price guarantee and refund the difference as a future travel credit.
Thank you for the quick reply!!
Old Aug 1, 2018, 7:57 pm

Thank you for the quick reply!!
You are most welcome, and welcome to FlyerTalk!

(My apologies for not welcoming you initially- the post count doesn't show up in the mobile version of FT)
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold

If U class is available at ANYTIME, an eligible fare will ALWAYS be upgraded before ANY in the upgrade request queue.

If you upfare to an eligible fare for an immediate upgrade to F when U is available you would still get the Class of Service Bonus on the underlying fare class upgraded to. If you upgraded to Y or S class you would still get a 50% COS and a 25% COS for M & B. MVP can upgrade to F from Y & S, MVPG can upgrade from Y, S, M & B and MVPG75K can upgrade from Y, S, M, B & H. Of course H does not have a COS Bonus.

As fares tend to increase closer to the departure date, an upfare sooner is better than later especially if U is available and you get a price guarantee. I am not certain on the change fees for upfaring as I have always had the MVPG+ waiver.

James
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:29 pm

I just sent a quick tweet to Alaska. There is NO CHANGE FEE to upfare an existing reservation.

James

My tweet!

If an MVP would like to upfare to an eligible fare for immediate upgrade into available U space, would the change fee apply? I know MVPG+ have a fee waiver but I am not sure for a MVP who is only upfaring.

Thank you.

Alaska's Reply

Hi there! There wouldn't be a change fee if it's for the same flight you would only pay the difference in fare for the higher class of service -Rae
Old Aug 1, 2018, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
If U class is available at ANYTIME, an eligible fare will ALWAYS be upgraded before ANY in the upgrade request queue.
Good point^ I was assuming that the OP didn't have status, which may be incorrect.

I just sent a quick tweet to Alaska. There is NO CHANGE FEE to upfare an existing reservation.
Interesting, because I have run into a change fee on an upfare (was for a non-status pax) and missy has stated the same in other threads here.

I wish AS would publish a upfare exception on their website, along other ticketing related policies that you have to suss out from either here on FT or from trial & error.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 3:05 am

Good point^ I was assuming that the OP didn't have status, which may be incorrect.
If the OP did not have status s/he would not be able to purchase an eligible fare and upgrade. The OP could upfare to a higher class for a COS bonus but would be ineligible to upgrade into U without status. The only way a non-status could upgrade into U would be with a gifted GGU and a purchased fare at K class or higher.

Interesting, because I have run into a change fee on an upfare (was for a non-status pax) and missy has stated the same in other threads here.
I don't know your itinerary specifics however my question to AS was specifically related to an MVP upfaring. I might have erroneously assumed it was applicable to anyone upfaring when it might be waived for any status but not for non-status. That would need to be further clarified.

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Aug 2, 2018 at 1:05 pm
Old Aug 2, 2018, 10:57 am

What does the "pm" in "pmVX" mean?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 11:06 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by StevieTopSiders

What does the "pm" in "pmVX" mean?
pre merger
StevieTopSiders likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 1:23 pm

If the OP did not have status s/he would not be able to purchase an eligible fare and upgrade. The OP could upfare to a higher class for a COS bonus but would be ineligible to upgrade into U without status. The only way a non-status could upgrade into U would be with a gifted GGU and a purchased fare at K class or higher.

I don't know your itinerary specifics however my question to AS was specifically related to an MVP upfaring. I might have erroneously assumed it was applicable to anyone upfaring when it might be waived for any status but not for non-status. That would need to be further clarified.

James
Thanks @rustykettel for the warm welcome, and thanks everyone for the discussion!!

@rustykettel - your assumption is correct that I don't have AS status (yet). I moved to the west coast recently and just started with AS. I was previously on UA and decided to move on to AS after my relocation.

@Flying for Fun - You are correct. I'm exploring options to upfare, not a complimentary upgrade, which I'm not eligible.

A follow up question would be - does it always make sense to upfare as early as possible? For AS partners who do not have low price guarantee or whatsoever, is it likely that I get a lower price closer to the departure date, or on the departure day at the airport?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Thanks @rustykettel for the warm welcome, and thanks everyone for the discussion!!

@rustykettel - your assumption is correct that I don't have AS status (yet). I moved to the west coast recently and just started with AS. I was previously on UA and decided to move on to AS after my relocation.

@Flying for Fun - You are correct. I'm exploring options to upfare, not a complimentary upgrade, which I'm not eligible.

A follow up question would be - does it always make sense to upfare as early as possible? For AS partners who do not have low price guarantee or whatsoever, is it likely that I get a lower price closer to the departure date, or on the departure day at the airport?
Why would you ever want to upfare from V to M/Y if you aren't eligible for upgrades? M and Y fares are still economy-class and you will simply be paying more for the same seat. The only added benefit would be additional miles earned, but they can be purchased directly for MUCH cheaper.

To answer your last question. Airline tickets are cheapest when the computer decides to make them cheaper. It is based on demand/supply and can some times be cheap day-of-departure, and sometimes 8 months out.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 2:03 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold

]Thanks @rustykettel for the warm welcome, and thanks everyone for the discussion!!

^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.