Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska + Singapore Airlines (SQ) Partnership - Earning, Redeeming and Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CDKing
Alaska Airlines (AS) partnership with Singapore Airlines (SQ)

Earning

Beginning September 27, 2017.
For earning rates See Partner Page

Eligible flight numbers (No Silkair)

0001–0999

Burning:

Award Charts:
(see note below for definition of "Continental USA", "SE Asia" and "South Pacific" )
SE Asia-SE Asia: 17,500 Y, 25,000 J 35,000 F
North Asia-SE Asia: 22,500 Y 60,000 J, 75,000 F
SE Asia-Middle East/India 25,000 Y 65,000 J 85,000 F
SE Asia-South Pacific 30,000 Y 65,000 J 90,000 F
SE Asia-Europe 42,500 Y 110,00 J 160,000 F
North Asia-Europe 65,000 Y 175,000 J 240,000 F
Middle East-Europe 60,000 Y, 160,000 J 210,000 F
Continental USA-North Asia: 40,000 Y 80,000 J 110,000 F
Continental USA-SE Asia/India: 47,500 Y 100,000 J 130,000 F
Continental USA-South Pacific 70,000 Y 145,000 J 190,000 F

Note: Chart only allows contiguous US and Alaska as "USA", however, AS connecting flights to Hawaii/Canada/Mexico are allowed. No chart for USA-Europe (though in theory you could redeem SIN-USA or USA-SIN routing on SQ onestops involving Europe and get off the plane in FRA/MAN, pretty high price in miles though). Stopover in SIN not allowed on regional awards (Intra-Asia,including South Pacific) not touching US.
"North Asia" includes China (PEK/PVG) as per latest update by AS. South Pacific is Australia/New Zealand
Print Wikipost

Alaska + Singapore Airlines (SQ) Partnership - Earning, Redeeming and Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Just heard from a contact at Alaska about flight numbers:

It should read 001-0699

They will be correcting it soon.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by Duke787
+1. I already credit my UA flights there since they earn 100% on any fare class credited to SQ. Plus you can transfer in from all 4 major currencies (SPG / UR / MR / TYP) which is the avenue through which to make longhaul J/F redemptions that are unavailable to partners.
Downside is miles expire three years after earning (can be extended 6-12 months depending on status for a fee).
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
I am very surprise by this! I thought AS doesn't like *A! I will be surprise if SQ release long haul J to AS.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer

It should read 001-0699

Haha, no surprise there.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:43 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Count me as one who is not that excited. I doubt we will see many, if any awards in J or F on the long haul North America to Asia.

Sure, its great to have premium partners like CX, but if you can't book their awards, what is the point. Time will tell, and I would like to be proven wrong and see some SQ award redemptions to Asia.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by paperwastage
SQ does have a stronger partnership with virgin Australia (velocity). You can transfer SQ miles to velocity miles (1.35-1 either
directions, not a good rate)

https://www.velocityfrequentflyer.com/content/ProgramBenefits/LatestNews/va-singapore-conversion/?error=login_required

and they allow suites redemption using velocity miles (or transfer velocity to SQ and redeem)

https://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-australia-unlocks-singapore-airlines-first-class-rewards

So it's not an impossible thing for alaska-sq partnership, though you'll see more demand from alaska versus velocity
Didn't say it was impossible or that there isn't partner space ever released, though *overall* it's not prevalent.

I was only addressing the suggestion that AS feed was going to be a game changer when UA already provides much greater feed to US ports. The lone Virgin Australia arrangement doesn't really make up for their general pattern thus far.

Would be happy to be surprised with the AS arrangement of course!

Last edited by 84fiero; Aug 30, 2017 at 2:05 pm
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer

It should read 001-0699

Alaska website already updated with the above correction. 👍
Old Aug 30, 2017, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 84fiero
I was only addressing the suggestion that AS feed was going to be a game changer when UA already provides much greater feed to US ports. The lone Virgin Australia arrangement doesn't really make up for their general pattern thus far.
Actually SQ and UA only codeshare on a select number of routes to/from IAH so the only impact is on SQ 51/52 (IAH - MAN).

For JFK/LAX/SFO, SQ relies on B6 and VX (now AS) for feed. For example go search RDU - SIN or SEA - SIN, you'll notice that the feed is either B6 (RDU) or VX/AS (SEA).

I don't think it's a game-changer enough to force SQ to release long haul J awards to AS but this certainly is a big deal for feed since SQ's strategy has been to avoid *A frenemy UA if/when possible (especially after UA launched UA 1 SFO - SIN before they could launch SQ 31 SFO - SIN).

Here's the codeshare list from the SQ website: https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/u...ther-partners/

You can see UA has 8 total codeshare routes, while VX has 29 codeshare routes and B6 has another 20. If you add in the AS route network that AS + VX number only go higher which makes them SQ's most important US partner.

Last edited by Duke787; Aug 30, 2017 at 2:53 pm
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Jma12
I am very surprise by this! I thought AS doesn't like *A!
It's really been more of a Star Alliance not liking non Star carriers. For instance CO ended partnership with AS when they joined star alliance.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Duke787
You can see UA has 8 total codeshare routes, while VX has 29 codeshare routes and B6 has another 20. If you add in the AS route network that AS + VX number only go higher which makes them SQ's most important US partner.
I do wonder if any of the other VX codeshare partners will become AS partners. SQ and VA were the only codeshare + Elevate earning partners (I'm assuming HA will not become a partner). Of the codeshare only partners, CZ, MU, and CI are all SkyTeam...of those three it seems like MU would be the most plausible candidate simply because they have the most mileage partnerships with non-ST airlines (e.g., CX, JL, QF).
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA1K
no chance you will see any F awards...J is possible. in the past i have seen J available with UA miles. will have to see how it shakes out.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by osotoc
Alaska website already updated with the above correction. 👍
The points world had a collective gasp! Glad this was a mistake!
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:00 pm

Hi -

The only time I redeemed for SQ F was the weekend they updated their reservation system and accidentally took the block off award classes. A nice use of USAir miles.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 6:42 pm
DUT

Programs: MVPG
Not impressed (yet) until I see an award chart that includes SQ F & J seats (which I'm skeptical we will see)...

If we don't see their F & J awards, I hope Alaska doesn't offer up Alaska F award seats either...
Old Aug 30, 2017, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Orwaid
Hi -

The only time I redeemed for SQ F was the weekend they updated their reservation system and accidentally took the block off award classes. A nice use of USAir miles.
I was a beginner at intl premium cabins at that point. The biggest mistake I made on that was doing IAH-SIN via DME since it was equivalent of 2 long haul F flights in one trip. Well, had i stuck with my initial plan, I would have been upgauged to A380 in the Suites. IIRC originally Suites was not available through that mistake. I did finally get to check out the suites but not in flight. One of the SIN DO's involved a tour of the training center and they had the different F cabins set up for service training purposes. Still not the same though.

Originally Posted by DUT
If we don't see their F & J awards, I hope Alaska doesn't offer up Alaska F award seats either...
AS will allow saver F just like they do to Korean Air, another example of a partner where AS members also can't book all available cabins. SQ has a lot more to offer to AS members than AS does to SQ which is why SQ isn't going to give AS the keys to the kingdom.

Last edited by CDKing; Aug 30, 2017 at 9:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.