Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska + Singapore Airlines (SQ) Partnership - Earning, Redeeming and Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 30, 2017, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CDKing
Alaska Airlines (AS) partnership with Singapore Airlines (SQ)

Earning

Beginning September 27, 2017.
For earning rates See Partner Page

Eligible flight numbers (No Silkair)

0001–0999

Burning:

Award Charts:
(see note below for definition of "Continental USA", "SE Asia" and "South Pacific" )
SE Asia-SE Asia: 17,500 Y, 25,000 J 35,000 F
North Asia-SE Asia: 22,500 Y 60,000 J, 75,000 F
SE Asia-Middle East/India 25,000 Y 65,000 J 85,000 F
SE Asia-South Pacific 30,000 Y 65,000 J 90,000 F
SE Asia-Europe 42,500 Y 110,00 J 160,000 F
North Asia-Europe 65,000 Y 175,000 J 240,000 F
Middle East-Europe 60,000 Y, 160,000 J 210,000 F
Continental USA-North Asia: 40,000 Y 80,000 J 110,000 F
Continental USA-SE Asia/India: 47,500 Y 100,000 J 130,000 F
Continental USA-South Pacific 70,000 Y 145,000 J 190,000 F

Note: Chart only allows contiguous US and Alaska as "USA", however, AS connecting flights to Hawaii/Canada/Mexico are allowed. No chart for USA-Europe (though in theory you could redeem SIN-USA or USA-SIN routing on SQ onestops involving Europe and get off the plane in FRA/MAN, pretty high price in miles though). Stopover in SIN not allowed on regional awards (Intra-Asia,including South Pacific) not touching US.
"North Asia" includes China (PEK/PVG) as per latest update by AS. South Pacific is Australia/New Zealand
Print Wikipost

Alaska + Singapore Airlines (SQ) Partnership - Earning, Redeeming and Questions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by KL808
Would we be able to earn and redeem miles on Silk Air flights?
There is always that one person who asks such a detailed question on day 1 Highly unlikely AS doesn't include the LCC counterpart of most of their partners. No Cathay Dragon, Hong Kong Airlines or Jetstar for example
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Does AS have any other partnerships that allow just coach reward redemption? If not, let's hope there is no reason to break presidence.

Also, if AS is providing a hundred or so seats / day in pax feed to SQ across its US network, like it does with EK, then they should sure as hell push for business reward redemptions.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
Does AS have any other partnerships that allow just coach reward redemption? If not, let's hope there is no reason to break presidence.

Also, if AS is providing a hundred or so seats / day in pax feed to SQ across its US network, like it does with EK, then they should sure as hell push for business reward redemptions.
I don't think the issue is with AS specifically. My understanding is that SQ releases almost no premium cabin award space any to partners (e.g., see http://upgrd.com/blogs/friendlyskies...unitedcom.html).
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite

Doubtful. UA has a bigger network than AS and SQ isn't any better about releasing premium award seats to UA than to any other of its partners.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: Alaska 100k
This is surprising but very welcome news. SQ is a great airline! It is great to see more nonstop options to HKG, NRT, ICN, and SIN from the west coast. I primarily value earning miles on partners as my employer pays for my TPAC tickets.

On the other hand, I still really wish more of AS' Asia partners would serve SEA. NRT and HKG both require a connection in YVR, SFO, or LAX still :/
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
It is great to add partners as I can never find saver award space on AS on peak dates to peak locations. Though I expect the C/F rates will be high on SQ so JAL may still be a better bet, esp for North Asia.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
A game changer for AS and Singapore Airlines. The corporate world will be viewing this with delight.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 11:55 am

Programs: AS G100K, DL PM, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond
This is good news. I just hope it won't impact the partnership with CX in the long run.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CDKing
If we thought Emirates awards are expensive, just wait. I would not be surprised if Suites is excluded from redemption.
I agree....on paper this is a welcome addition, but just like Emirates awards that I don't even consider due to being so crazy expensive now, I suspect SQ awards (in Y) will be priced considerably higher than other partners.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:18 pm

I wouldn't mind access to their lounge either.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
I'm not going to get my hopes up too much--and I know their partner J availability is ~*~*not great*~*~--but I have my fingers firmly crossed that they'll allow SIN-Europe awards a la CX. I'd love to make my way to SIN with a TYO or HKG stopover on JL or CX and then continue on to MXP or MAN or CPH.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
Doubtful. UA has a bigger network than AS and SQ isn't any better about releasing premium award seats to UA than to any other of its partners.
SQ does have a stronger partnership with virgin Australia (velocity). You can transfer SQ miles to velocity miles (1.35-1 either
directions, not a good rate)

https://www.velocityfrequentflyer.com/content/ProgramBenefits/LatestNews/va-singapore-conversion/?error=login_required

and they allow suites redemption using velocity miles (or transfer velocity to SQ and redeem)

https://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-australia-unlocks-singapore-airlines-first-class-rewards

So it's not an impossible thing for alaska-sq partnership, though you'll see more demand from alaska versus velocity
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:41 pm

Has anyone seen the earn chart the other way? Really curious how earning KrisFlyer miles on AS will look.

KrisFlyer could be a very attractive option for Seattle based folks. Earn on AS, B6, UA. Redeem on NH, OZ, BR, LH, etc.
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:44 pm

It's nice to have another partner for earning on flights to Asia, but until they fly out of SEA I probably won't fly them any more than I do now. If I'm flying to HKG and have to connect anyway, I would so much rather just fly CX via YVR instead of SQ via SFO.

If they flew into HND instead of NRT I'd take them to Japan I guess?
Old Aug 30, 2017, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond

SQ *does* allow for business class (and first class) redemptions. They just don't make the longhaul award space available to anyone but their on KF members (and it sounds like perhaps Virgin Australia)

You will almost certainly be able to book intra-Asia and any Australia/NZ flights that use the older regional J planes.

I highly doubt that AS will be able to convince SQ to release this space when they don't release this space to any of their *A partners (LH Group, UA, AC, etc.) who I imagine provide significantly more feed than AS will be providing.

Originally Posted by PeteyNice
Has anyone seen the earn chart the other way? Really curious how earning KrisFlyer miles on AS will look.

KrisFlyer could be a very attractive option for Seattle based folks. Earn on AS, B6, UA. Redeem on NH, OZ, BR, LH, etc.
+1. I already credit my UA flights there since they earn 100% on any fare class credited to SQ. Plus you can transfer in from all 4 major currencies (SPG / UR / MR / TYP) which is the avenue through which to make longhaul J/F redemptions that are unavailable to partners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.