Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Cathay Award Guide Using Alaska Airlines Miles

Note: Cathay flights cannot be booked using alaskaair.com. Mileage requirements in chart form available on alaskaair.com.

Request your Partner Award reservation on Cathay Pacific by calling Alaska Airlines Reservations at 1-800-252-7522 (TTY: Dial 711 for Relay Services) 5:00 a.m. - Midnight (PT), daily.
Routing Rules:
  • If it's not on the award chart, it's not allowed. For example EUROPE is To/From HKG only.
  • Stopover are only allowed on any CX award for North America awards as destination or origin. For instance: intra-Asia awards do not get a stopover. It must be a North America->Somewhere or Somewhere->North America award to qualify for a stopover.
  • The only awards that do not break at HKG are intra-Asia or North American ones. For instance, Australia-Europe/Middle East/Asia outside of HKG will be two awards (breaking at HKG). The AS award chart can be misleading about this and give you the impression you can fly an award like Australia/Europe-ICN, but the chart for these award types will show "Hong Kong".
  • One stop-over allowed on one way award. You can build open jaw and other advanced routings by booking multiple one way awards. Please note change fee rule below.
  • Allegedly stop-over only in Hong Kong, but some have posted success in other enroute cities such as YVR or SEA.
  • As of 5 June 2018 changes/cancellations made to a booking will incur a $125 fee which is waived for MVPG/MVPG75K. Bookings made prior to 5 June will be allowed one complimentary change or cancellation for up to 60 days prior to date of travel.
  • Awards can be booked 330 days in advance.
  • Cathay and Alaska (or an Alaska flight operated by SkyWest/Horizon on behalf of Alaska) are the only airlines allowed on a Cathay award. No other partner airlines may be used on a single award (e.g. American, JAL, Emirates).

North American Gateway Cities:

Western
Vancouver
San Francisco
Los Angeles
Seattle (Spring 2019)

Eastern (Can not be used if traveling to west coast)
Boston
Chicago
New York (JFK & EWR)
Toronto
Washington

Award Chart Links*:

Asia
Australia
Europe
India/Middle East
North America

Anyone with 90 posts and 90 days can edit the wiki. Everyone else if you want something added to the wiki please comment in the thread.
Print Wikipost

Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:58 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
"Retied" as in tied up, untied and tied up again? LMAO!!!! ��

I am recently "retired." However with my prior schedule rotation and statutory holidays I stretched my 5 weeks of vacation into 8. We do a couple major vacations each year and shorter 6-9 day mini vacation/mileage runs every 4-6 weeks in between. It is a good use of companion certificates and GGUs. We are both MVPG75K and earn 500-600K RDM between us annually with bonuses and some CC spend. Definitely the challenge is balancing awards and EQM to maintain staus. We do have friends in Australia & South Africa so CX has been useful. Using awards for respoitioning to do mileage runs has been fun too. I have some extra time now and taking advantage of the excellent award rates before any devaluation which seems imminent.

James
it seems that people are demanding AS to devalue CX award from the way I read forum... I am kind of stuck with over 1M AS miles in my family. oh well. My account alone has over 700K AS miles (i am earning over 400k AS miles a year just from flying) (and over 1M AA miles). I am not crazy for F class myself unlike many here. (I am exec plat, so i have F check-in and F lounge anyways. and my habbit on a plane is to sleep which I can do easily on a J seat.)

Last edited by pbd456; Jul 27, 2018 at 2:12 am
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Who’s asking for that? Expecting it, perhaps. But who wants to pay more for the exact same good?

Anyways, if I was flying six figures in paid J entirely on leisure without the prospect of using miles on awards because I was minting miles faster than I was burning them, I would probably accrue on the airline I was flying on and spend the miles on upgrades... BA/AA/CX/EK or whatever. AS’s program won’t let you upgrade anything other than an AS flight. Paying for J and getting F seems reasonable.

That or just blow the AS miles on EK F or something. Rather than watch their value shrivel like snow in a chinook wind once devaluation happens. I mean, if you can pay cash for six figures of leisure J, why bother hoarding miles? The cash is what gives one a secure future, not miles.
jinglish and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: aadvantage
I have been looking for return trips from HKG - Any US destination (prefer west coast) for next July, I have to book at the end of next month but have noticed good availability at 329 and 330 days but anything less than 329 days the availability goes down to near zero, looking for 5 J seats (they only typically have 4 per flight however). Does CX just take away anything that is available for partners after a couple days of making it available? I wouldn't think it would all get booked because I see 1F, 4J, many PE and E then it all just disappears.

Thanks.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by ramosz83
I have been looking for return trips from HKG - Any US destination (prefer west coast) for next July, I have to book at the end of next month but have noticed good availability at 329 and 330 days but anything less than 329 days the availability goes down to near zero, looking for 5 J seats (they only typically have 4 per flight however). Does CX just take away anything that is available for partners after a couple days of making it available? I wouldn't think it would all get booked because I see 1F, 4J, many PE and E then it all just disappears.

Thanks.
It absolutely does get booked. Bloggers pump the heck out of CX redemptions through Mileage Plan, and Alaska isn't exactly shy about selling unlimited miles.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Who’s asking for that? Expecting it, perhaps. But who wants to pay more for the exact same good?

Anyways, if I was flying six figures in paid J entirely on leisure without the prospect of using miles on awards because I was minting miles faster than I was burning them, I would probably accrue on the airline I was flying on and spend the miles on upgrades... BA/AA/CX/EK or whatever. AS’s program won’t let you upgrade anything other than an AS flight. Paying for J and getting F seems reasonable.

That or just blow the AS miles on EK F or something. Rather than watch their value shrivel like snow in a chinook wind once devaluation happens. I mean, if you can pay cash for six figures of leisure J, why bother hoarding miles? The cash is what gives one a secure future, not miles.
i pay about 6c per flown miles on my paid J, and earn over 3 miles per miles flown. These deals are gone.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by pbd456
i pay about 6c per flown miles on my paid J, and earn over 3 miles per miles flown. These deals are gone.
So I guess use the miles now if you aren’t accruing them at six figures a year any more?

6 cents per mile still means you are spending a 6k+ a year on leisure airfare if you are flying six digits butt in seat on those fares. If you don’t want to spend so much... use your miles?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

So I guess use the miles now if you aren’t accruing them at six figures a year any more?

6 cents per mile still means you are spendinig a 6k+ a year on leisure airfare if you are flying six digits butt in seat on those fares. If you don’t want to spend so much... use your miles?
I spend over 10k on airfare per year, earning over 500k miles, and meeting my travel need (peak season travel - when it is not possible to get award space and y class cost 1.8k during those times). Since this deal is time sensitive (they are mostly gone), and I will hope to use the miles when I can't fly these deals anymore.

I have no trouble in spending the money, but I have trouble using my miles just because my time.

If I were to offer 10m as miles for 50k USD, I would definitely pay for it.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by ramosz83

Thanks.
They are getting booked. What happens is partners like AS and AA only get access at 330 days out and once their windows open it is open season on CX awards. If you only can travel in a limited date range I would book as two one-ways. Lock in the outbound as soon as you can then when your return window opens lock in the return. There is some risk that you may have to pay change fees if you cannot get what you want but to me the bigger risk would be missing out on your trip if you wait to book. Look at the CX release patterns. Most US J awards I see far out are mid-week. I would not make future plans based on hoping to find 4J on a weekend.
IAmKab likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
They are getting booked. What happens is partners like AS and AA only get access at 330 days out and once their windows open it is open season on CX awards. If you only can travel in a limited date range I would book as two one-ways. Lock in the outbound as soon as you can then when your return window opens lock in the return. There is some risk that you may have to pay change fees if you cannot get what you want but to me the bigger risk would be missing out on your trip if you wait to book. Look at the CX release patterns. Most US J awards I see far out are mid-week. I would not make future plans based on hoping to find 4J on a weekend.
Do more J awards open up other than the first batch at 330 days out? I made a mistake and booked my flight to Asia but didn’t make sure I could find a return flight, as I am waiting to see what happens with the Marriott 7 night certificates to see how long I’ll stay. I’ve booked for May 2019.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Originally Posted by jamienbaker

Helpful. How did the remainder of the conversation go? In other words, how did you win them over?
I stated that we paid for business class seats and AS was unable to confirm the last seat because CX refused to open up U inventory. The F counter agent was pleasant but adamant that there is nothing she could do. Her supervisor who offered to put us all on the same flight together earlier had moved on to a different counter to help. I thanked the check in agent and tracked down the supervisor. As I was explaining to him what I needed a third CX agent shuffled over with high intensity and stated that she had a "courtesy upgrade" for my son. to be honest, I don't know what prompted that "gift".
I think part of it was that I was polite and firm at the same time, so they knew I would not give up in Round 1.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Deltahater
I stated that we paid for business class seats and AS was unable to confirm the last seat because CX refused to open up U inventory. The F counter agent was pleasant but adamant that there is nothing she could do. Her supervisor who offered to put us all on the same flight together earlier had moved on to a different counter to help. I thanked the check in agent and tracked down the supervisor. As I was explaining to him what I needed a third CX agent shuffled over with high intensity and stated that she had a "courtesy upgrade" for my son. to be honest, I don't know what prompted that "gift".
I think part of it was that I was polite and firm at the same time, so they knew I would not give up in Round 1.
interesting story. CX only receive PE cost for the seat and yet willing to give you J class....
Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: aadvantage
Thanks, Ill try and book asap I guess. -Ramosz83
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I have both scenarios in separate trips this year. My reasoning for each:

1) 1 F and 1 J - it's great to be on the same flight. I've got both expert flyer and award nexus running so I can grab a second F seat if it becomes available. If not, it will be great to arrive in LAX together. I believe we can both use the F lounge in Hong Kong together.

2) 1 F and 1 F - I was able to grab seats on the 2 LAX flights that are four hours apart. This means the proper amount of points have been taken by AS. It's a function of finding a second seat on either of those two flights. If I don't find it in advance to get AS to reticket, perhaps we can persuade CX to do it at the airport. I know that's very iffy, but we have one report in the thread of it happening. I've got my husband on the earlier flight. If we check bags, we will do so on his ticket. The rental car will be in his name. It will be tedious for him to have the time to kill at LAX but he will be ready to pick me up and drive south.

You can ask me in January which worked better.
Did both. Multiple times.

You certainly can bring a guest into F lounge in HKG, but to be honest, we have found Pier J being our most favorite lounge over the Pier F and definitely over Wing F which the advantage is extremely close to the gate the LAX flight usually departs from - so any last min delay one can easily trots back to the lounge - this happened on my last flight when husband already flew put 4 hours earlier - the captain of my flight was no where to be found while passengers were already being let thru the 2ndary gate security check... my flight ended up had 1.5 hour delay.

DONT count on CX would let you move up the flight even the cabin is EMPTY. They will need AS to reissue a new ticket in order for you to change the flight. That happened on 2 flights ago when husband's flight had an empty F cabin (and he slept almost the whole way). GAs told me if I wanted to move up my flight, I needed to contact AS to reissue the ticket.
My husband is the oddity in the award world - he could not care for F, as long as he has a flat bed - that he would not compromised on - but all the "extras" in F do not impress him. Even when AA only charged 12.5K extra one way on F over J, he often asked, "why do we need to fly F?" I am like rolling my eyes, because the 12.5K extra is very very cheap to get all the extra's...
So 1F 1J is often our solution.

The current problem is, there is not even such option. So far CX has not returned to anywhere near the previous mode. Unless you can pick up and go in 2 weeks or less, or booked something 330 days out? (we never do that so no idea how current compares to past), finding this 1F 1J on same flight has become an Unicorn that used to be a good solution for us.

Right now we are holding a ticket in Oct JFK-HKG, then later HKG-MEL. I have seen some HKG-PER or ADL open up for earlier dates but I dont want to squander my only shot for free change so I decide to just wait till 2 to 3 weeks before departure then see if there are better options on the JFK-HKG, and if there are HKG-SYD or HKG-BNE open up.

There is no "persuading" needed as they would NOT do it - unless in a flight cancellation / delay big time situation, CX would NOT let partner ticketed passengers to change flight in ordinary circumstances.

Last edited by Happy; Jul 29, 2018 at 12:49 pm
Old Jul 29, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbd456
I spend over 10k on airfare per year, earning over 500k miles, and meeting my travel need (peak season travel - when it is not possible to get award space and y class cost 1.8k during those times). Since this deal is time sensitive (they are mostly gone), and I will hope to use the miles when I can't fly these deals anymore.

I have no trouble in spending the money, but I have trouble using my miles just because my time.

If I were to offer 10m as miles for 50k USD, I would definitely pay for it.
I am not sure I understand the logic - you are willing to pay for the miles that you cannot effectively use? Miles are not like hard currency. they rot in the account, inevitably, for any program. It is not like you can use those miles to buy any things you want as in the case of cold hard cash. They can only used to redeem awards which are often involved lots of compromises - routing, time to travel, long ahead commitment, etc etc not to mention they bound to devalue, even not in the most traditional way (high number of miles needed for same trip) but also in the form of difficulty to find award seats, lost seats when schedule changes, etc etc just to name a few.

Unless I misunderstand what you say. Otherwise I find the logic very strange, because you already have the problem of using the miles, then why pay to get more, even it is at a good discount? It is not unlike people being lured into big sales by dept stores and paying real money for lots of craps they dont need.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 3:46 pm

Booking w/ Alaska Air Miles

I’ve been reading up on recent trouble with Cathay Saver level inventory issues showing on BA searches, but just checked routes on HKG-LAX, HKG-SFO, HKG-SEA in Business class, and the Alaska team is only able to see seats if more than 2 seats are available it seems. I saw a route on 4/23 from HKG - SEA and only 1 seat was showing, with 3 showing in business as available with 2 different Alaska reservation agents. This was the same on different routings/Dates in April 2019 as well from HKG back to the US (2 showed/none available, 3 showed/only 1 available, 4 showed available for business, only 2 available). Anyone have any recent feedback/ info?

What was odd, Premium Economy availability when searched on BA, was accurate with the Alaska agent, just not Business or First. Thank you for the help FT community

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.