Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 4, 2017, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Calchas
Welcome to the Alaska Airlines Flame-Free Q&A Thread for 2017!

Anyone is welcome to ask anything, even the most basic questions, in this thread without having to fear a snarky response. In this thread, there's no such thing as a dumb question--we were all new to Alaska Airlines, FlyerTalk, and even the whole idea of mileage programs once and needed some help navigating the ropes. We're here to help you do just that!

That said, if you want to do a little reading to see if your question has been previously discussed, links to some of the most common and extensive topics in this forum are listed in our FAQ thread -- click here to check it out.

Special care will be given in this thread to trying to provide answers in a clear manner with minimal use of acronyms and jargon.

If you need to contact someone for help, here's a current list of our forum's team:

Ambassadors (Our Greeters--members who have specifically volunteered to welcome and mentor newbies and monitor this thread):
ANC RED-EYE
baliktad
beckoa
golfingboy

Moderators (Our Janitors--members who have volunteered to do housekeeping/keep the forum in order)
ryandc99
jackal

You are welcome to send a private message to any of these individuals for assistance, but you'll generally get a faster response and broader palette of answers if you simply post your inquiry here in this thread.

Note to FlyerTalk members who enjoy the ability to take advantage of loopholes--if someone posts something that exposes information you'd rather not be public, please remember this is a Flame-Free thread, and harsh or snarky posts are not permitted. Although FlyerTalk itself does not censor posts that share information, members are free to edit their own posts to remove information. If you wish to request any poster to remove information they have shared publicly, please do so politely and respectfully.

Welcome, and we look forward to providing any assistance we can!

~the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan forum team~

For the 2016 version of this thread, please click here
Print Wikipost

2017 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A thread: all welcome, new and old!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT 2MM, DL Lifetime GM 2MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, HH Diamond, IHG Amb Diamond
Originally Posted by CDKing
Stop-overs are only allowed domestically on AS metal awards, No partner awards (which includes VX as well). Its actually the same on all intra-regional awards except JL Asia to Asia which allows stopover in NRT (no Japan domestic JL stop-overs)
Thanks for the info. I saw some AS-AA awards with stop-overs. For example this quotes out, even with a rather odd routing: BUR-SEA (stop) -CHS-CLT-TOL. Now in this case the flights into and out of the stopover are AS metal, if that is significant.

Flight summary
Flights
Flight Departs Arrives
Flight 1 of 4Alaska Alaska 165
Main | Nonstop | Details
Burbank (BUR)
7:00 am Mon, Jan 29 Seattle (SEA)
9:35 am Mon, Jan 29
Alaska 165 Distance: 937 mi | Duration: 2hours 35minutes
Flight 2 of 4Alaska Alaska 728
Main | Nonstop | Details
Seattle (SEA)
7:55 am Wed, Jan 31 Charleston, SC (CHS)
4:15 pm Wed, Jan 31
Flight 3 of 4American American 5289
Operated by PSA Airlines as American Eagle
Coach | Nonstop | Details
Charleston, SC (CHS)
7:50 pm Wed, Jan 31 Charlotte (CLT)
8:52 pm Wed, Jan 31
Flight 4 of 4American American 5535
Charlotte (CLT)
10:09 pm Wed, Jan 31 Toledo (TOL)
11:47 pm Wed, Jan 31
Alaska 728, American 5289, American 5535 Distance: 3,043 mi | Duration: 12hours 52minutes
Total price for 1 passenger
12,500 miles + $23.70
Taxes, fees and charges
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by CDKing
Stop-overs are only allowed domestically on AS metal awards, No partner awards (which includes VX as well). Its actually the same on all intra-regional awards except JL Asia to Asia which allows stopover in NRT (no Japan domestic JL stop-overs)
Just to clarify the last point: IME, the stopover is allowed for TYO (NRT+HND). And can do Asia-TYO(stopover)-domestic Japan destination as well but not vv.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:12 pm

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
Originally Posted by AKCuisine
Has the time frame for pre-order been extended recently? For a long, long time it's been possible to use the app to pre-order coach meals up to 7 days in advance - I've never seen it work more than a week ahead of a flight.

Unless there has been a recent change, the app's pre-order feature in coach is only applicable if the flight is one that offers the cheese plate and/or a hot meal option. It doesn't work for the deli or picnic packs that are only available as onboard options.
I guess since I was able to pre-order

Trying to find where to drop this: (AS ranked best FF rewards program by a new report by U.S. News & World Report)

https://www.bizjournals.com/bizjourn...-programs.html
Old Aug 10, 2017, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Governator
Thanks for the info. I saw some AS-AA awards with stop-overs. For example this quotes out, even with a rather odd routing: BUR-SEA (stop) -CHS-CLT-TOL. Now in this case the flights into and out of the stopover are AS metal, if that is significant.

Flight summary
Flights
Flight Departs Arrives
Flight 1 of 4Alaska Alaska 165
Main | Nonstop | Details
Burbank (BUR)
7:00 am Mon, Jan 29 Seattle (SEA)
9:35 am Mon, Jan 29
Alaska 165 Distance: 937 mi | Duration: 2hours 35minutes
Flight 2 of 4Alaska Alaska 728
Main | Nonstop | Details
Seattle (SEA)
7:55 am Wed, Jan 31 Charleston, SC (CHS)
4:15 pm Wed, Jan 31
Flight 3 of 4American American 5289
Charleston, SC (CHS)
7:50 pm Wed, Jan 31 Charlotte (CLT)
8:52 pm Wed, Jan 31
Flight 4 of 4American American 5535
Charlotte (CLT)
10:09 pm Wed, Jan 31 Toledo (TOL)
11:47 pm Wed, Jan 31
Alaska 728, American 5289, American 5535 Distance: 3,043 mi | Duration: 12hours 52minutes
Total price for 1 passenger
12,500 miles + $23.70
Taxes, fees and charges
Unless there is some special AS hub stop-over benefit, then its an error. Someone was asking about MIA-PHX then to ANC. found dates AA to AS as one ways but failed on multi city booking. Always failed when i attempted in the past as well. Another sample I just looked up. MIA-DTW(stopover)-SEA.

*EDIT* (just looked up BUR-SEA 12/13 & SEA-MIA 1/15 no go on multi city only worked as separate one way tickets)
Attached Images    

Last edited by CDKing; Aug 10, 2017 at 8:47 am
Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:00 pm

Is there an Alaska-American award liaison process to help with schedule changes causing my original reservation to screw up? Will asking for supervisor help?

Was on 7am SEA-DFW-EZE, with a comfortable 5 hour layover, all on American metal bought using alaska miles.

Schedule change, and now my layover is 46 minutes (1 minute more than minimum connection time), for a noon SEA-DFW-EZE.

A 9am SEA-DFW flight exists, but withou AA saver to Alaska cannot see it, and isn't putting me on it.

I understand that, but this is a schedule change situation - can't alaska contact american and nicely ask them to put me on that flight despite no saver space so my international connection isn't a risky 46 minute one? There is space on the flight for cash, since this is many months out.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Is there an Alaska-American award liaison process to help with schedule changes causing my original reservation to screw up? Will asking for supervisor help?

Was on 7am SEA-DFW-EZE, with a comfortable 5 hour layover, all on American metal bought using alaska miles.

Schedule change, and now my layover is 46 minutes (1 minute more than minimum connection time), for a noon SEA-DFW-EZE.

A 9am SEA-DFW flight exists, but withou AA saver to Alaska cannot see it, and isn't putting me on it.

I understand that, but this is a schedule change situation - can't alaska contact american and nicely ask them to put me on that flight despite no saver space so my international connection isn't a risky 46 minute one? There is space on the flight for cash, since this is many months out.
I did find AS pretty helpful when I had a schedule change on an upcoming AA award, even opening up some space on an AS flight, but that was on their own metal and to avoid an unnecessarily long connection. That's a legal connection because AA is pretty confident they can get you from gate to gate quickly enough. I wouldn't fret over it unless that SEA-DFW flight is frequently delayed.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:37 pm

Programs: AS, WN
Originally Posted by pcoll
Annual fee is never waived for Alaska Visa Card.
Really??? I thought I read on the Visa thread some people mentioning it. Maybe I misread. I will go back and check. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Straitlover
Really??? I thought I read on the Visa thread some people mentioning it. Maybe I misread. I will go back and check. Thanks for pointing that out.
There are periodically offers with a $100 statement credit for new cards (I think with a fairly easy spend requirement). That (more than) offsets the annual fee, but it's not technically waiving the fee.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 10:42 pm

Do you think Alaksa will offer 10K bonus to link VA again?

I missed the opportunity in Jan to link my Alaska and Virgin America accounts for the 10K mile bonus. Do you think Alaska will offer the opportunity again? Thank you.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1stAces
I missed the opportunity in Jan to link my Alaska and Virgin America accounts for the 10K mile bonus. Do you think Alaska will offer the opportunity again? Thank you.
Emails went out again in the last few days. You can always try manually

https://www.alaskaair.com/elevatemember/activate
Old Aug 12, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
From CDKing's link:

Terms and conditions: The 10,000 bonus miles offer is valid for active Virgin America Elevate members as of December 5, 2016 or later who received an invitation to activate a new Mileage Plan account from Alaska Airlines, and are not active Alaska Mileage Plan members. Qualifying members have through December 31, 2017 to activate their Mileage Plan account and receive their bonus miles. Any individual may receive the bonus a maximum of one time, even if they hold multiple separate Elevate accounts. Offer is not combinable with any other Mileage Plan enrollment or account activation bonus offers. Mileage Plan conditions of membership apply; visit Alaskaair.com/MemberTerms.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:08 pm

Any idea why a purchased trip would no longer appear under My Trips > Purchased?
Booked it a month or so ago, flew last week. It was there up until 4d ago.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 11:15 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by randomdude
Any idea why a purchased trip would no longer appear under My Trips > Purchased?
Booked it a month or so ago, flew last week. It was there up until 4d ago.
They're supposed to disappear once completed.
Old Aug 13, 2017, 8:42 am

Is there some place where domestic stopover rules are compiled? I haven't been able to figure out what makes a route eligible.

I can fly out of BOI, SUN, or SLC, though we'd much prefer avoiding the much longer drive to SLC. I can find scads of 5k flights for XXX-SLC-YYY, but I'm coming up blank (literally, no awards at any cost) if I try to do the same with BOI or SUN. They price fine in cash, of course. Am I just out of luck?
Old Aug 13, 2017, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by synergistic
Is there some place where domestic stopover rules are compiled? I haven't been able to figure out what makes a route eligible.

I can fly out of BOI, SUN, or SLC, though we'd much prefer avoiding the much longer drive to SLC. I can find scads of 5k flights for XXX-SLC-YYY, but I'm coming up blank (literally, no awards at any cost) if I try to do the same with BOI or SUN. They price fine in cash, of course. Am I just out of luck?

YYY might be the problem but without knowing what city its hard to tell.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.