Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2017, 7:34 pm

just booked 2 F sfo-hnd for about 110 days from now, ticketed in about 15 mins.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
I just did a interasia award for April in J and initially click, it sat forever and then gave the no space found error and clicked again and it sat for another minute and got confirmation number and AS ticket number, went to JL site and selected my seats

Last edited by CDKing; Jan 28, 2017 at 8:49 pm
Old Jan 29, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by oDiabo
For the folks who had to wait for their reservation to be ticketed, was it always successful? I tried to book LAX-NRT (2 seats in J) for 12/23 today and got the reservation held message. When I called in I was told to call back every day for the next three days and that the award may not actually be available.
Yes, mine thankfully went through. Did yours? Unfortunately, you may be at the mercy of others that can book instantly.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 6:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
JL-AS System down?

So I've been consistently checking flights waiting for dates to open up and there was always tons available. Each day of the week for almost the entire month, this morning I looked and still available, but I'm looking to book 12/28. Now I look and all availability for all the days that was available this morning is gone. The calendar shows available in Coach, but then when you click not he actual day it errors out.

So hoping this is some sort of AS-JL system issue and not a complete dry-up of JL award space using AS miles.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by SF1K
So I've been consistently checking flights waiting for dates to open up and there was always tons available. Each day of the week for almost the entire month, this morning I looked and still available, but I'm looking to book 12/28. Now I look and all availability for all the days that was available this morning is gone. The calendar shows available in Coach, but then when you click not he actual day it errors out.

So hoping this is some sort of AS-JL system issue and not a complete dry-up of JL award space using AS miles.
That is strange, hopefully a temporary glitch. Note: the AS site will show you one day past what you're actually able to book (you won't be able to book 12/18 until Wednesday).
Old Jan 31, 2017, 11:21 am

I looked into this more closely, it looks as though they've taken availability back from T-330 to T-325. My guess is that this change could be related to the issue with reservations going into "held" status if booked at the end of the booking window.

Last edited by lax.sea.jnu; Jan 31, 2017 at 4:41 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 31, 2017, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu
I looked into this more closely, it looks as though they've taken availability back from T-330 to T-225. My guess is that this change could be related to the issue with reservations going into "held" status if booked at the end of the booking window.
Did you really mean T-225 or T-325?? What makes you think this?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 4:42 pm

Did you really mean T-225 or T-325?? What makes you think this?
Sorry, it was a typo. I edited my above post. I can see availability starting at T-325. It was T-331 a few days ago, but you could only book starting at T-330.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 6:54 pm

Sorry, it was a typo. I edited my above post. I can see availability starting at T-325. It was T-331 a few days ago, but you could only book starting at T-330.
Thanks. Looks like they are getting a bit stingier with award space on the route I was looking at too. At 325 it's only showing premium economy. Before it was wide open on different routings in Business. I have some date flexibility so hopefully will get something.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:11 am

I was able to secure 2 F Class Awards (seats 2A/D) and 1 J class award (seat 5D) for JL 3 for 12/21/17 for my wife, myself and my mom (sorry mom! - business class for now) via Alaska Air miles.

Hoping that an F opens up per previous posts.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by oDiabo
For the folks who had to wait for their reservation to be ticketed, was it always successful? I tried to book LAX-NRT (2 seats in J) for 12/23 today and got the reservation held message. When I called in I was told to call back every day for the next three days and that the award may not actually be available.
I had the same issue. I booked 2 F/1J seat JFK-NRT-MNL for 12/21. The site hung and hung and then finally errored out. I then received an email from Alaska Air that the reservation was being held for 3 days. I called immediately and they told me that they had to get confirmation that JAL would ticket the reservation and that I would receive an email. 2 days went by and no email. I called again and they said they have received the confirmation, took payment and informed me of mileage being debited from account. Received confirmation email with JAL booking reference included.
Old Feb 2, 2017, 6:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; UA Premier Gold; SPG Platinum; Marriott Gold; NEXUS/Global Entry
Thumbs up

Yes, mine thankfully went through. Did yours? Unfortunately, you may be at the mercy of others that can book instantly.
It did, thanks
Old Feb 10, 2017, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA, AS
I've been doing some speculative searching and today I noticed a problem with the Premium Economy inventory display for JL. Earlier today PE inventory was reported in the Business column with a mixed class itin icon even on a non-stop flight. Currently I am not seeing PE inventory reported at all (using BA site to check).

For example, currently on 2/19 TYO-SFO BA is showing 4 PE seats available but when I do a search for 2 seats on the AS site no PE seats are showing. Has anyone else noticed this?
Old Feb 11, 2017, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees
I've been doing some speculative searching and today I noticed a problem with the Premium Economy inventory display for JL. Earlier today PE inventory was reported in the Business column with a mixed class itin icon even on a non-stop flight. Currently I am not seeing PE inventory reported at all (using BA site to check).

For example, currently on 2/19 TYO-SFO BA is showing 4 PE seats available but when I do a search for 2 seats on the AS site no PE seats are showing. Has anyone else noticed this?
same here

looks like a glitch... or alaska deval

i'm going to wait and see
Old Feb 11, 2017, 9:49 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by benjahman
I had the same issue. I booked 2 F/1J seat JFK-NRT-MNL for 12/21. The site hung and hung and then finally errored out. I then received an email from Alaska Air that the reservation was being held for 3 days. I called immediately and they told me that they had to get confirmation that JAL would ticket the reservation and that I would receive an email. 2 days went by and no email. I called again and they said they have received the confirmation, took payment and informed me of mileage being debited from account. Received confirmation email with JAL booking reference included.
A similar experience here. I booked an F seat the other day. Twice after payment, it hung and hung and finally errored out, saying partner space could not be confirmed. I was just about to call, as BA was showing the seat available, when I tried it one more time. Third time lucky, I guess, as it went through and ticketed immediately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.