Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Just attempted to book 2 F seats at T-331 online, and received a message that the inventory was not available (though is still showing as available on AS.com). Has anyone else had trouble with phantom inventory?
Old Jan 23, 2017, 8:15 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Jakarta F Service Discontinued?

Can't see any F space to Jakarta as of March 1. Looks like the route will now be operated by a 787.

Too bad - this was a great use of AS miles to SE Asia. Thankful my flight next week in F is still being operated by the 777.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by SOWK
Can't see any F space to Jakarta as of March 1. Looks like the route will now be operated by a 787.

Too bad - this was a great use of AS miles to SE Asia. Thankful my flight next week in F is still being operated by the 777.
They're removing the 77W on the CGK route and putting it on JFK-HND.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu
Just attempted to book 2 F seats at T-331 online, and received a message that the inventory was not available (though is still showing as available on AS.com). Has anyone else had trouble with phantom inventory?
Following up on this to see if anyone has any experience with booking JL right at the T-331/330 window. My experience currently trying to book at T-331 or T-330 with space available on the website is that the reservation gets "held" rather than booked. I've called the partner desk multiple times, and they say that the reservation should process when the flight is available, but in the meantime I'm seeing award inventory disappear. They mentioned that the connecting flight (which leaves the following day), could be causing the issue, so currently I'm focused on securing space on the TPAC leg.

My questions are as follows:

1) Has anyone experienced the strange "held reservation" bug when booking at T-330, or even in after that?

2) If so, are flights usually available to book at T-229 23:59 (i.e. the time of the flight), or at the midnight before?

Thanks!
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:06 pm

Following up on this to see if anyone has any experience with booking JL right at the T-331/330 window. My experience currently trying to book at T-331 or T-330 with space available on the website is that the reservation gets "held" rather than booked. I've called the partner desk multiple times, and they say that the reservation should process when the flight is available, but in the meantime I'm seeing award inventory disappear. They mentioned that the connecting flight (which leaves the following day), could be causing the issue, so currently I'm focused on securing space on the TPAC leg.

My questions are as follows:

1) Has anyone experienced the strange "held reservation" bug when booking at T-330, or even in after that?

2) If so, are flights usually available to book at T-229 23:59 (i.e. the time of the flight), or at the midnight before?

Thanks!
Update: just tried a booking on AS.com at T-329:18, and experienced the same failure. I received notification that the reservation was being held, but not confirmed.

Last edited by lax.sea.jnu; Jan 24, 2017 at 1:24 pm
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:15 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Just booked a JL J SIN-HND last week, departing this weekend. Availability appears wide open. 25k + $36.xx. Very happy with that because I'll get to ZZZ on a red-eye.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:50 pm

for NYC-TYO, i see J open mostly on M/Tu/Wed, maybe Sunday... across different months

sigh
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:02 pm

Has anyone been able to make a JAL reservation immediately through the website? I was recently told by the partner desk that reservations take a few days to get confirmed.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:07 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Has anyone been able to make a JAL reservation immediately through the website? I was recently told by the partner desk that reservations take a few days to get confirmed.
My first try failed, but my second try a few mins later ticketed almost immediately
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by solewalker
My first try failed, but my second try a few mins later ticketed almost immediately
No success for T=229-331. Just tried T=190, and got a similar result, except this time, no "held reservation" e-mail. Looks like the system may be a bit screwy, right when I'm trying to book a reservation.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by tth6133
These are the easiest J seats to get since they are not the most desirable type.
I know they aren't lie-flat but it's 9 hours so I can live with an angle, some decent food and good service for $200 for 3 people.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVPG, HHonors Gold, Hyatt GP Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Spire
Yes, my booking ticketed immediately.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by Reikon
They're removing the 77W on the CGK route and putting it on JFK-HND.
Interesting, the AS website says the flight is still operated by a 77W, but JL.com is saying 789.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 5:43 pm

Booked LAX-NRT in F T-15 and got confirmation immediately. Was able to view my reservation at JAL right away and was able to call JAL minutes after to make my seat selection.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: AS MVPG; UA Premier Gold; SPG Platinum; Marriott Gold; NEXUS/Global Entry
Awaiting Confirmation

For the folks who had to wait for their reservation to be ticketed, was it always successful? I tried to book LAX-NRT (2 seats in J) for 12/23 today and got the reservation held message. When I called in I was told to call back every day for the next three days and that the award may not actually be available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.