Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 6, 2016, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DoubleWidesFly
Wiki for using AS (Alaska) miles on JL (Japan Airlines)

All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments)
However, these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport

Award Chart If not listed it's not available - EXCEPTION: Hawaii-Asia awards are bookable, not yet on the chart, at the same prices as Continental U.S.-Asia
(as of March 2017, Premium Economy is no longer available)
(As of October 2019, stopovers are no longer allowed on intra Asia awards)
Class of Service One-way Round-trip

U.S./Canada to Asia
Coach 35,000 70,000
Premium 40,000 80,000
Business 60,000 120,000
First 70,000 140,000

U.S./Canada to Southeast Asia
Coach 40,000 80,000
Premium 45,000 90,000
Business 65,000 130,000
First 75,000 150,000

Intra Asia
Coach 15,000 30,000
Premium 17,500 35,000
Business 25,000 50,000
First 30,000 60,000

International gateways
All AS valid destinations from Tokyo (HND/NRT), Osaka (KIX) or Nagoya (NGO).
PUS, GMP, ICN, DLC, PVG, SHA, PEK, TSA, TPE, KHH, CAN, HKG, MNL, HAN, SGN, BKK, SIN, KUL, CGK, DEL, HNL, KOA, YVR, SEA, SFO, LAX, SAN, ORD, DFW, BOS, JFK

USA

Boston - BOS
Chicago - ORD
Dallas - DFW
Honolulu - HNL
Kona -KOA
Los Angeles - LAX
New York - JFK
San Diego - SAN
San Francisco - SFO
Seattle - SEA

Canada
Vancouver - YVR

Asia

Delhi - DEL
Tokyo - HND & NRT
Osaka - KIX
Nagoya - NGO
Busan - PUS
Seoul - Gimpo GMP
Seoul - Incheon ICN

Southeast Asia or listed as SE based on how awards are pricing
Bangkok - BKK
Beijing - PEK
Dalian - DLC
Guangzhou - CAN
Hanoi - HAN
Ho Chi Minh City - SGN
Hong Kong - HKG
Jakarta - CGK
Kaohsiung - KHH
Kuala Lumpur - KUL
Manila - MNL
Shanghai - Hongqiao - SHA
Shanghai - Pudong - PVG
Singapore - SIN
Taipei - TPE
Taipei - Songshan - TSA
Tianjin - TSN (only from Nagoya, not very useful....)
Print Wikipost

Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:11 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Deemus7
Is there a workaround for getting an agent to successfully book an award on JAL that appears on QF/AA/BA and shows as part of a round-trip on Alaska's website but won't appear as a one-way? For example, searching BKK-SEA on 6/7 shows no availability, but when you search SEA-BKK round-trip departing on 5/24 and returning on 6/7, it suddenly shows up. Phone agent checked with her supervisor and was given some line about JAL making schedule changes or a delay in updating system inventory, but why then would it also appear on QF/AA/BA?
Book the roundtrip and then cancel the return?
Old Jul 17, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Deemus7
Is there a workaround for getting an agent to successfully book an award on JAL that appears on QF/AA/BA and shows as part of a round-trip on Alaska's website but won't appear as a one-way? For example, searching BKK-SEA on 6/7 shows no availability, but when you search SEA-BKK round-trip departing on 5/24 and returning on 6/7, it suddenly shows up. Phone agent checked with her supervisor and was given some line about JAL making schedule changes or a delay in updating system inventory, but why then would it also appear on QF/AA/BA?
Yes, there is a workaround.

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
Book the roundtrip and then cancel the return?
Book a round-trip and cancel the outbound. The easiest way is to book a round trip on the website and call in to remove the outbound if you do not want it.

ETA:
*Sometimes* you can use some version of the "calendar trick" to get flights to show. I was able to get J flights to show 6/8-6/10 by starting from the homepage, selecting "all search options", doing a calendar search, one-way, miles, date of End of schedule minus 1 day (6/10 right now), then select 6/8, 9, or 10 from the calendar view. You must start the calendar search from the homepage. Switching to the calendar view after doing a simple, non-calendar, search probably will not work.

Last edited by skimthetrees; Jul 17, 2019 at 1:16 am
Old Jul 17, 2019, 1:22 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Just booked the following for this weekend:

CGK-NRT (J)
NRT-JFK (F)
-stopover-
EWR-SFO (F)

All for 75k miles. I still find this to be an exceptional value.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Yes, there is a workaround.

Book a round-trip and cancel the outbound. The easiest way is to book a round trip on the website and call in to remove the outbound if you do not want it.

ETA:
*Sometimes* you can use some version of the "calendar trick" to get flights to show. I was able to get J flights to show 6/8-6/10 by starting from the homepage, selecting "all search options", doing a calendar search, one-way, miles, date of End of schedule minus 1 day (6/10 right now), then select 6/8, 9, or 10 from the calendar view. You must start the calendar search from the homepage. Switching to the calendar view after doing a simple, non-calendar, search probably will not work.
Sadly I don't have enough miles to book the round-trip and then cancel the outbound. Tried the calendar trick with no success, so I think I'll try to call again today. It's frustrating that such a seemingly simple task is so complicated...

*EDITED 9:13am ET*
I randomly checked again this morning and the one-way flight magically appeared in the search results! Ticketed and confirmed. ^

Last edited by Deemus7; Jul 17, 2019 at 7:13 am
Old Jul 17, 2019, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
Just booked the following for this weekend:

CGK-NRT (J)
NRT-JFK (F)
-stopover-
EWR-SFO (F)

All for 75k miles. I still find this to be an exceptional value.
curious how this worked out? How long is allowed for your stopover? We’re looking at MNL(J)-Tokyo-JFK (F). How do you work in the stopover from EWR-West Cost in F?

I’ve got no status.
Old Jul 18, 2019, 12:07 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by lovefly88

curious how this worked out? How long is allowed for your stopover? We’re looking at MNL(J)-Tokyo-JFK (F). How do you work in the stopover from EWR-West Cost in F?

I’ve got no status.
My stopover is 2 days. The online booking engine will price it correctly if you do multi-city:

MNL-JFK
JFK-West Coast

Sometimes I find the options that are presented initially aren't ideal (showing only coach when I know F is available), but once booked, I go to change the flights, and then I can edit each individual leg and it puts it in the correct class. Not sure how that would work with no status, but if the availability is good, you should have no problem booking it straight up.
Old Jul 19, 2019, 1:14 am

Programs: AS MVP; UA Gold; DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Booked the following JAL flights:

For late Dec 2019
TPE to NRT (J)
--two night stopover--
NRT to ORD (F)
75K AS miles

For Jan 2020
TSA (Taipei Songshan) to HND (J)
--three night stopover--
NRT to JFK (F)
75K AS miles

Looks like JAL from TSA uses reverse herringbone, while angled-flat from TPE.
Still, looking forward to sampling JAL First!

AS is simply the best!
Old Jul 19, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Damn... yesterday it was showing LAX or SFO to NRT in first class in Dec 2019, today it's all gone
Should've acted faster. 10k more for FC over Business is such a good value.

I've never really booked international partner redemption with AS before... been hoarding miles for awhile.

If I book SEA-NRT round trip in J... then those F seats pop up again from LAX-NRT, can I change my flight/route to go SEA-LAX-NRT and just pay the 10k point different (and maybe whatever $12 taxes rebooking fee) as an MVPG?

Last edited by nearlysober; Jul 19, 2019 at 1:10 pm
Old Jul 19, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by nearlysober
If I book SEA-NRT round trip in J... then those F seats pop up again from LAX-NRT, can I change my flight/route to go SEA-LAX-NRT and just pay the 10k point different (and maybe whatever $12 taxes rebooking fee) as an MVPG?
Yes!^

(provided SEA-LAX is available at saver coach/first)
Old Jul 20, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, BA Silver, AC, AF/KL, AV, VS | Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Well here's a weird one: are window seats being blocked for award tickets? I had a ticket from SAN but changed it to SEA when seats became available a few days ago for my trip in November. My SAN flight had no window seats available, which I thought was odd, but I didn't mind because I was hoping to change anyway. My flight from SEA also has no window seats available, which also seems odd, so I checked EF for a seat map...

Seat map from my JL booking:

And here's what Expert Flyer's seat map shows:

So the window seat next to me should be available, as well as four others!

Just for the heck of it, I checked what the map looks like on the SAN flight I changed from and that has six window seats open. Seems odd.
Old Jul 20, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Yes, blocked for elite status and ticket type. If still available, they should open at OLCI unless held back for airport control.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel
Yes, blocked for elite status and ticket type. If still available, they should open at OLCI unless held back for airport control.
Ugh. Well, that explains it then. I'm still hoping F seats open up from either SFO or LAX but my current seat isn't the worst thing in the world and I'll certainly check if any windows are open when it's time to check in. Thanks!
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan MVPG, HHonors Gold, Hyatt GP Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by TEDisgone
Ugh. Well, that explains it then. I'm still hoping F seats open up from either SFO or LAX but my current seat isn't the worst thing in the world and I'll certainly check if any windows are open when it's time to check in. Thanks!
If you have ExpertFlyer, set a seat alert for the seat(s) you want. I received an alert three days before my flight, so was able to change to a window before OLCI.
rustykettel and DrAlex like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Mr_Tudball

If you have ExpertFlyer, set a seat alert for the seat(s) you want. I received an alert three days before my flight, so was able to change to a window before OLCI.
True, I can set alerts for the ones that are confirmed blocked (rows 1 and 2) but unfortunately there's nothing I can do about seats that are open but unavailable to me, except wait until check in time.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
I booked NRT-SEA on awards and also noticed all the seats were blocked. I just thought maybe they were that popular. But then yesterday I noticed the same thing you mentioned, they aren't showing blocked or reserved on EF... they're showing open! Thought it was just some quirk. Will hold out hope that they release them before the trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.