FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1807279-definitive-booking-japan-airlines-jl-using-miles-thread-2019-earlier.html)

eponymous_coward Mar 31, 2019 2:20 pm

Discussed in the JAL thread. Lots of known issues, probably need to be more specific, like if you are booking at end of schedule, or what routes.

skimthetrees Mar 31, 2019 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by slidey (Post 30949874)
Does anyone know if there is a way around the error (or what the cause of the error is)
We're sorry, we aren't able to confirm space on these partner flights. Please try again and choose different flights, dates or cities.
when trying to book an award flight on JAL via Mileage Plan?

The flight is showing availability on AS search (and also on BA Avios search for reference) but Ive not been able to book it via AS for the last 3 days.

This is a new booking with only one flight?

If you have confirmed space with multiple other partners try calling in and having an agent book it for you. In the past there were communications issues with JAL and this sounds like that type of issue. The agents can retry the request to confirm space multiple times which may help. Re-requesting online can't hurt either. Try putting the booking through multiple times one after the other.

minz56 Apr 1, 2019 12:26 am

Today is an auspicious day in Japan with the name for the new era being announced: Reiwa.

It is also today that JL moves to a 360 day booking window (from 330 days). I can already see award availability on QF within the extra 30 days. However AS continues to only offer availability from T-330, so now other JL partners have a 30 day advance booking window. Time will tell what impact this has.

estnet Apr 1, 2019 1:38 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees (Post 30950713)

If you have confirmed space with multiple other partners try calling in and having an agent book it for you. In the past there were communications issues with JAL and this sounds like that type of issue. The agents can retry the request to confirm space multiple times which may help. Re-requesting online can't hurt either. Try putting the booking through multiple times one after the other.

I've had the same problem - have tried multiple times online over three days - talking to my 3rd agent - wish me luck!
Mine is a three segment se asia - tyo -lax-sfo

Flying for Fun Apr 1, 2019 1:49 am

Of all the JL flights I have booked I have only encountered the error once on a DEL-TYO-ORD-PDX-PHX itinerary for 2 with JL TPAC in F. I waited a few minutes and resubmitted the request that then went through.

I booked another JL F today for mid-May. No issues. with this 4 segment, 2 JL, 2 AS, itinerary in J, F, F, F via NYC. Itinerary starts in South Korea and ends in another country not USA.

James in Kelowna.

estnet Apr 1, 2019 1:59 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 30949939)
Discussed in the JAL thread. Lots of known issues, probably need to be more specific, like if you are booking at end of schedule, or what routes.

Mine is not end of schedule and the problem per agent is that first class is showing available tyo-lax but comes back as not bookable.
Latest - found a very helpful agent who said the international desk is aware (but apparently not all of them, the one I just spoke to said she wasn't aware) they are not getting timely updates on availability from JL (she can see avail on one system but when going to another to book manually it shows not available) I'm pushing to talk to someone who may be able to report to ?get IT or their partner desk to try to get it fixed :(

skimthetrees Apr 1, 2019 2:44 am

Originally Posted by estnet (Post 30951411)
I've had the same problem - have tried multiple times online over three days - talking to my 3rd agent - wish me luck!
Mine is a three segment se asia - tyo -lax-sfo

New booking? Try booking the JL flights only online first, then call in to add the lax-sfo segment within 24 hours.

estnet Apr 1, 2019 2:53 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees (Post 30951530)
New booking? Try booking the JL flights only online first, then call in to add the lax-sfo segment within 24 hours.

Agent says tyo-lax comes back unavailable in F :( Tried multiple days and she saw F availablity but could NOT confirm in F only J :(

skimthetrees Apr 1, 2019 10:20 am

Originally Posted by estnet (Post 30951549)
Agent says tyo-lax comes back unavailable in F :( Tried multiple days and she saw F availablity but could NOT confirm in F only J :(

I do not doubt that the agent is telling you that. What I am suggesting, based on my interpretation of your comments that space has been showing on the website for 3 days, is to book the JAL flights together online via the website (BKK-LAX or whatever), then call to add the domestic segment. It is just an idea but this may improve the odds of the website actually booking the JAL flights without going through an agent initially since agents sometimes have trouble booking even what is available on the website (or vice versa). If space is not showing on the AS website then ignore this suggestion.

QT31415 Apr 1, 2019 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by lax.sea.jnu (Post 27811041)
Following up on this to see if anyone has any experience with booking JL right at the T-331/330 window. My experience currently trying to book at T-331 or T-330 with space available on the website is that the reservation gets "held" rather than booked. I've called the partner desk multiple times, and they say that the reservation should process when the flight is available, but in the meantime I'm seeing award inventory disappear. They mentioned that the connecting flight (which leaves the following day), could be causing the issue, so currently I'm focused on securing space on the TPAC leg.

My questions are as follows:

1) Has anyone experienced the strange "held reservation" bug when booking at T-330, or even in after that?

2) If so, are flights usually available to book at T-229 23:59 (i.e. the time of the flight), or at the midnight before?

Thanks!

Having the same problem booking SEA-HAN for Feb 2020. Seats are available, but can't be booked. Seems to just be Asia side?

skimthetrees Apr 2, 2019 12:28 am

Originally Posted by QT31415 (Post 30954803)
Having the same problem booking SEA-HAN for Feb 2020. Seats are available, but can't be booked. Seems to just be Asia side?

What dates are you looking at and how are you confirming seats are available? AlaskaAir.com search results should be bookable. JAL just expanded their booking window so many dates available through JAL are not available to AS until 330 days out.

ETA: Are you stopping over in Japan before going to HAN? This could create a married segment issue for the TYO-HAN flight. There are a couple of potential ways to book it. If you could give specific dates or date ranges you are looking for we might be able to give more specific advice.

estnet Apr 2, 2019 1:25 am

So I gave up yesterday and booked on Cathay (after an another hour on the phone) - the agent mentioned that I could change within 24 hours without a fee so this morning (20ish hours in) I decided to give it one more try - lo and behold it worked!!! This time it took a bit longer to go from the select to confirm page (leading me to think since the error popped up immediately that this was definitely some kind of IT issue). So I don't know if it's fixed permanently or I was just lucky after a week of the same error.
Anyway a data point.

skimthetrees Apr 2, 2019 1:32 am

Originally Posted by estnet (Post 30955381)
So I gave up yesterday and booked on Cathay (after an another hour on the phone) - the agent mentioned that I could change within 24 hours without a fee so this morning (20ish hours in) I decided to give it one more try - lo and behold it worked!!! This time it took a bit longer to go from the select to confirm page (leading me to think since the error popped up immediately that this was definitely some kind of IT issue). So I don't know if it's fixed permanently or I was just lucky after a week of the same error.
Anyway a data point.

Thanks for the update. AS IT has had many problems over the last couple of years. Sounds like another IT glitch which hopefully now is resolved.

slidey Apr 2, 2019 11:17 am

It's two flights, Singapore to Tokyo and then a domestic. On BA both of the flights show as available (albeit only when searched as individual segments, not sure if thats relevant) but it does seem like an IT issue as I have been trying daily. Trying 4 or 5 times in a row gives the same error each time.

skimthetrees Apr 2, 2019 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by slidey (Post 30956889)
It's two flights, Singapore to Tokyo and then a domestic. On BA both of the flights show as available (albeit only when searched as individual segments, not sure if thats relevant) but it does seem like an IT issue as I have been trying daily. Trying 4 or 5 times in a row gives the same error each time.

estnet had a similar issue and was able to book today so you might try again. If there is still trouble call AS and ask an agent to book it for you. Tell them the website errors out and ask them to waive the phone booking fee (still will get the partner booking fee just like the website).