FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1807279-definitive-booking-japan-airlines-jl-using-miles-thread-2019-earlier.html)

skimthetrees May 1, 2019 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Sandeep1 (Post 31058407)
Is it possible to do ORD-NRT-SIN in F class as one award for 75k? I'm guessing if yes, I need to call it in? I looked online and the only thing I'm seeing is ORD-NRT.

I do not believe JAL operates F class equipment to SIN so the TYO-SIN segment would only be available in J.

You can do it as one award ORD-SIN and you can book it online but there has to be availability. The AS website is not searching well for married segment availability which is preventing a lot of awards from showing online. I suspect this has to do with the fact that some married segments for these long flights can depart two calendar days after your ORD departure and likely the website is only programmed to check married segments for +1 day. You can use the multi-city tool to book it if you can find non married segment availability for both segments. Otherwise you will need to call and my guess would be you are not going to have a lot of luck with an agent finding availability for TYO segments leaving +2 days from original departure date unless you do some leg work in advance to feed them flights with availability. If you are not looking for a free stopover in Japan use QF or CX to search for availability which will search for married segments. If they find something call AS with the flight numbers and dates for each segment and tell them specifically that they need to do a married segment availability check and they should be able to find it.

HawaiiO May 2, 2019 12:46 am

Is AS still having problems booking JL awards?
For a time, JL awards were "bookable" until the payment section, at which it will fail to go through.

Thanks!

TravelingZoomer May 2, 2019 12:53 am

Called the AS Gold line...

AS is showing JL phantom availability. Apparently it’s an issue on JL end so AS is shutting bookings down until further notice

CDKing May 2, 2019 8:07 am

Originally Posted by verbyournoun (Post 31058760)

AS is showing JL phantom availability. Apparently it’s an issue on JL end so AS is shutting bookings down until further notice

So dumb when not all space is phantom. That's AS solve for everything, just take it away. my prediction is say be bye to all JL awards permanently like they did when they couldn't get Premium Economy to work due to phantom.

rustykettel May 2, 2019 10:18 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees (Post 31058483)
I do not believe JAL operates F class equipment to SIN so the TYO-SIN segment would only be available in J.

Correct. No F cabins on intra-Asia JL.

beckoa May 3, 2019 3:05 am

Originally Posted by verbyournoun (Post 31058760)

Crazy

Just ticketed two JL F awards 2 weeks ago without an issue.

skimthetrees May 3, 2019 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 31062505)
Crazy

Just ticketed two JL F awards 2 weeks ago without an issue.

Possible misinformed agent. I still see AS selling JL on the website.

VegasGambler May 3, 2019 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by skimthetrees (Post 31063995)
Possible misinformed agent. I still see AS selling JL on the website.

Confused with IcelandAir?

tobikosan May 4, 2019 6:40 pm

Booked two F tickets JAL LAX-NRT for this week on AS couple days ago.

vudoosj May 5, 2019 5:19 am

successfully booked a SIN-NRT in J using AS website.

CDKing May 5, 2019 9:16 am

I just booked 1 F seat for January. Though the information is correct the site is cached. AS is still showing another seat available but BA site shows F is gone.

Nurse Traveler May 6, 2019 8:02 pm

I'm looking at the end of the schedule for 2 F tickets. On BA, I see that there are 4 F seats 328 days out but know that AS sometimes has issues with premium seats until 323. When I check 323, I can see seats on BA but none on AS, even if I search for 1. As an MVPG, can I book 2 different partners for the same date, then cancel one if I don't get the cabins I want (without change fee)? Basically, I think I'll need to book a CX flight instead and wait for JL to magically show up.

skimthetrees May 6, 2019 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Nurse Traveler (Post 31074390)
I'm looking at the end of the schedule for 2 F tickets. On BA, I see that there are 4 F seats 328 days out but know that AS sometimes has issues with premium seats until 323. When I check 323, I can see seats on BA but none on AS, even if I search for 1. As an MVPG, can I book 2 different partners for the same date, then cancel one if I don't get the cabins I want (without change fee)? Basically, I think I'll need to book a CX flight instead and wait for JL to magically show up.

You can book JAL to 330 days out using the calendar trick. From the AS home page select "All search options" and check the calendar search. You cannot switch to the calendar after searching a specific date or it will not work.

Even checking 330 days out is problematic now because JAL increased their window to 360 days. Having CX as a backup is good option.

Nurse Traveler May 7, 2019 1:54 pm

Is it even worth calling into AS if I find JAL space (4 seats) on BA.com but it isn't showing up on AS.com (given that AS.com seems to be having problems) or will I just be told that if it isn't online, it isn't there?

skimthetrees May 7, 2019 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Nurse Traveler (Post 31076976)
Is it even worth calling into AS if I find JAL space (4 seats) on BA.com but it isn't showing up on AS.com (given that AS.com seems to be having problems) or will I just be told that if it isn't online, it isn't there?

It never hurts to call but without it showing on AlaskaAir.com you may not have luck in booking it.

A couple of questions for you. Is this 4J? You mentioned earlier seeing 4F at 328 days out which I have never seen ex US except very close in. I only see 2F max on USA routes near schedule open. If you are seeing 4F on BA at 328 days out it makes me suspect you are looking at a connecting journey that is masking the true results. BA has a problem with mixed classes on connecting flights. Are the flights you are looking at non-stop or connections? You should check on QF or CX/Oneworld to see if you can match BA's availability. If you can match BA's results to QF and/or CX then AS should be able to book and if it is not showing on their website and it is within the window AS can see availability (possibly with the calendar trick) then I would guess it is an AS inventory caching issue and, if not taken, the inventory will show up on AS within a few hours.