FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1807279-definitive-booking-japan-airlines-jl-using-miles-thread-2019-earlier.html)

VegasGambler Mar 15, 19 2:24 pm

Oh, I didn't realize that it was the Air France lounge. I can get into that anyway (priority pass).

The JL lounge is probably more comfortable and definitely quieter (esp in the F room) but the AF lounge has better food and booze.

tobikosan Mar 15, 19 2:30 pm

On AS website I am finding one F and nothing else for the non stop LAX-TOKYO this sunday. I need two tickets. Book the 1st and hope? I have miles and status. or other ideas. Try to book from JAL website?

VegasGambler Mar 15, 19 3:39 pm


Originally Posted by tobikosan (Post 30891821)
On AS website I am finding one F and nothing else for the non stop LAX-TOKYO this sunday. I need two tickets. Book the 1st and hope? I have miles and status. or other ideas. Try to book from JAL website?

JL61? That flight is F1 according to EF. I thought that JL did not release the last F seat as award space.

Anyway, unless someone cancels, there definitely won't be a 2nd.

drunkskunk Mar 16, 19 12:39 am

Japan Domestic Stopover
 
I am trying to build a Sapporo - Tokyo (2 night stopover) - Singapore itinerary in J class on JAL using the Alaskan multi-city option but the system keep returning messages that it is unable to find flights.

However, when i try looking for 1) Sapporo - Tokyo and 2) Tokyo - Singapore separately on the dates that I want, seats in J are readily available on both flights.

Does the free stopover not apply to 2 cities in the same country (Sapporo + Tokyo) or am I doing something wrong?

Will appreciate any advice here. Thank you!

VegasGambler Mar 16, 19 1:45 am

I thought that stopovers were only allowed on itineraries that start or end in North America

Flying for Fun Mar 16, 19 2:07 am


Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30893218)
I thought that stopovers were only allowed on itineraries that start or end in North America

Stopovers are permitted in TYO if arriving into the gateway (HND/NRT) from outside of Japan and not limited to NA, however, it appears you cannot have a stopover in TYO if arriving from within Japan. SIN-TYO//TYO-CTS is a valid routing as is DEL-TYO//TYO-CTS both 25K in J but CTS-TYO//TYO-SIN is not.

James in Los Angeles.

VegasGambler Mar 16, 19 2:12 am

Related question.. do you have to arrive at and leave from the same gateway? I guess HND and NRT are co-terminals, but what about different cities? Eg can you fly LAX-KIX // NRT-BKK as a single award?

skimthetrees Mar 16, 19 2:07 pm


Originally Posted by FT-hss (Post 30888796)
Brilliant.. thanks! I tried this and then also as I was seeing the return flight I plugged in straight (non-multi) DEL-LAX and they are available to on multiple days with the J+F combo. Now my question is can I break them up and have a > 24 (longer) stop in Tokyo? When I put in individually in multi-city Feb 1 DEL-NRT and Feb 3 NRT-LAX nothing shows up. Has anyone tried feeding the AS agent a married segment flight A-B and couple days later another married segment flight B-C to make up A-B-C and still keep the J+F since they are available as married flights on day 1 and day 3 since a stopover is allowed? If not I will just take the through J+F flight and shut up and count my blessings :)

You can have a stopover but if you are only booking one-way and one of the segments is in the AS block window it will not show up. If the award space is available (check QF or BA) then you can get a stopover but if one of the flights is in the AS block window you will need to use the round-trip hack to get them to show. Using multi-city, something like, outbound LAX-TYO 1/22, return Feb 1 DEL-NRT and Feb 3 NRT-LAX. After booking call to drop LAX-TYO.

eponymous_coward Mar 16, 19 9:37 pm


Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30893252)
Related question.. do you have to arrive at and leave from the same gateway? I guess HND and NRT are co-terminals, but what about different cities? Eg can you fly LAX-KIX // NRT-BKK as a single award?

That ainít a stopover. Thatís a land segment that is unflown. Also, thatís not allowed, any more than FAI-ANC//JNU-SEA is.

Flying for Fun Mar 16, 19 10:26 pm


Originally Posted by FT-hss (Post 30887888)
Thanks. Your SFO-PHX is AS? I was not able to see any saver options when I was looking. Is there just SFO-PHX (AS) or there is also LAX-PHX (AS)? I will look too. I think I will end up paying a change fee inbound/outbound. Either that or I will need to buy the feeder flights PHX-LAX and inbound (SFO/PHX or LAX/PHX) when I book the main part DEL-NRT... NRT-HND/SFO/LAX.

Just looking back at this I can also suggest DEL-TYO-ORD-SEA/PDX-PHX. I booked two of these in J/F via PDX online in December for mid January flights. I ended up cancelling them but had no issues booking them. I can't chime in on Lounge Access in Chicago though if that is important to you.

James in Puerto Vallarta.

FT-hss Mar 16, 19 11:39 pm


Originally Posted by skimthetrees (Post 30894909)
You can have a stopover but if you are only booking one-way and one of the segments is in the AS block window it will not show up. If the award space is available (check QF or BA) then you can get a stopover but if one of the flights is in the AS block window you will need to use the round-trip hack to get them to show. Using multi-city, something like, outbound LAX-TYO 1/22, return Feb 1 DEL-NRT and Feb 3 NRT-LAX. After booking call to drop LAX-TYO.

Oops missed the reply. Will try tomorrow. Thanks!

skimthetrees Mar 17, 19 7:57 am


Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 30893252)
Related question.. do you have to arrive at and leave from the same gateway? I guess HND and NRT are co-terminals, but what about different cities? Eg can you fly LAX-KIX // NRT-BKK as a single award?

You can plug this into the multi-city search (two outbound segments) and book it online. Will AS agents allow it? Not sure. But, you can ticket it online so who cares?

FT-hss Mar 18, 19 5:36 pm

Wow... how do you find these things :) This is going to work great! About to book. Do you know how to select seats and what would be best for single traveler in JL/F TYO-LAX? I have to do LAX since I need to get to PHX and don't want to try the longer (JHK//ORD) flights even though I might get more time in F :)
Also any special seat to book in J DEL/NRT?


Originally Posted by FT-hss (Post 30895965)


Oops missed the reply. Will try tomorrow. Thanks!


rustykettel Mar 18, 19 5:47 pm


Originally Posted by FT-hss (Post 30902933)
Wow... how do you find these things :) This is going to work great! About to book. Do you know how to select seats and what would be best for single traveler in JL/F TYO-LAX? I have to do LAX since I need to get to PHX and don't want to try the longer (JHK//ORD) flights even though I might get more time in F :)
Also any special seat to book in J DEL/NRT?

Once it's ticketed, take your JAL confirmation code and select your seat on JAL's website. Some seats will be blocked until closer to departure.

The single window seats on either side have the obvious advantage of the windows, but other than that the center seats are just as good. My personal preference is 1A by a slight hair, but 2A is nice for sleeping if 2D is vacant and can be made up for your bed.

skimthetrees Mar 18, 19 7:55 pm

You will get two confirmation codes when you book a JL flight. The first is the AS confirmation code and the second is the JAL confirmation code. You need the JAL confirmation code to book seats. You can find the JAL confirmation code both in your confirmation email and your AS reservation online. Go the the JAL website to manage your booking with the JAL confirmation code and you can select seats from there. As mentioned by rustykettel some seats will be blocked until closer to departure. On the 777-300ER to SFO in F they block 1A and 1K until airport check-in. I prefer a window seat in the back of the F cabin, 2A or 2K. You might want to pre-order your meal.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:26 pm.


This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.