FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   Definitive "Booking Japan Airlines (JL) Using AS Miles" Thread - 2019 and Earlier (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1807279-definitive-booking-japan-airlines-jl-using-miles-thread-2019-earlier.html)

skimthetrees Feb 22, 2019 9:43 am

Originally Posted by aktchi (Post 30807504)
General time period Jan 8-18. We are flexible on exact dates. AS does show availability on some of those days. However, they don't see the same availability on same days as AA/BA/QF.

You mean leaving around the 8th and returning around the 18th with some flexibility? Should be doable. The you must search for both the outbound and return at the same time using the multi-city search.

Here is a multi-city search:
Outbound
ORD-SIN 1/8
Return
SIN-TYO 1/13
TYO-ORT 1/17

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...e31e2011d1.jpg

shosana Feb 22, 2019 11:16 am

Originally Posted by CDKing (Post 30805127)
After sitting on an incomplete award for nearly a year, finally I was able to add domestic leg on JFK-NRT-CTS in April

When you add the NRT - CTS leg a little later is there any fee associated with changing it?

TIA!

CDKing Feb 22, 2019 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by shosana (Post 30810136)
When you add the NRT - CTS leg a little later is there any fee associated with changing it?

TIA!

It would require the $125 change fee if not a MVPG. It doesn't hurt to ask if they will waive it but be prepared for a now.

tpsmith82 Feb 22, 2019 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by rustykettel (Post 30807391)
Good news! JL is now participating in PreCheck.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/japa...e-finally.html

This is great news!! I've got an award booking(SEA > SFO > HND > CAN) coming up. Any idea if I need to add my know travler number to my JL ticket. And if so, how I might do that. Tried last night online, but didn't see anywhere to do that.

rustykettel Feb 22, 2019 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by tpsmith82 (Post 30811126)
This is great news!! I've got an award booking(SEA > SFO > HND > CAN) coming up. Any idea if I need to add my know travler number to my JL ticket. And if so, how I might do that. Tried last night online, but didn't see anywhere to do that.

Try calling in to JL with your partner PNR from the reservation. JL hasn't updated their web forms yet. Worse case, you *should* be able have the check in agent add it.

Mauibaby2008 Feb 22, 2019 5:30 pm

I cancelled a JFK NRT F award on March 12. Not sure if it went back or not

Deltahater Feb 23, 2019 5:50 am

The only day in March with JFK-NRT F availability is March 4 (both flights), so unless it got snagged in the last few hours, it did not go back into inventory

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Feb 23, 2019 6:00 am

Originally Posted by enzian (Post 30786296)
I was so happy when I was able to book our flight to Japan and back in November with our AS miles, in business class going over and First coming back (via SFO). A week ago we discovered I had entered my husband’s first name as Wlliam, not the correct spelling. (I am curious how many caught that mistake on first reading). Totally my fault (poor eyesight for fine details). JL absolutely will not allow a name change on the tickets. The Partner Desk said they would try to work with JL to cancel and be-book, but that was not possible. So this morning I canceled the tickets and got our miles refunded.

Does JL return those award seats to inventory? And if so, any idea when? I can keep checking every hour if necessary, but not if it is futile. I have entered a search and alert request on Expert Flyer but do not know if that every works.

Thanks for your help and any suggestions. We cannot fly in Economy and cannot afford to purchase the business class seats. I am reluctant to wait too long for new JL award seats to show up, so after a few days I may just go and book ANA in Premium Economy, the direct flight from Seattle to NRT and back.

Coming to this late but personally I wouldn't have even contacted the airline for Wlliam vs William. I doubt it would have even been picked up. IATA guidelines used to provide for up to three character errors in names.

MonThruThurs Feb 23, 2019 8:09 am

I’m flying SEA-BOS-NRT-PVG in April. Currently planning on using the 144 hour visa as my flight out of China is PVG-HEL-ARN. Any experiences with AS/JAL on the visaless entry at check in?

rustykettel Feb 23, 2019 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by MonThruThurs (Post 30812899)
I’m flying SEA-BOS-NRT-PVG in April. Currently planning on using the 144 hour visa as my flight out of China is PVG-HEL-ARN. Any experiences with AS/JAL on the visaless entry at check in?

SEA-BOS is normal domestic AS check-in, they probably won't even ask for a passport as they won't check you into JL.

I think I saw your post over in the JAL forum where it was answered as a not a problem for the JL leg as long as you have your onward ticket printed and don't check in at the very last moment.

pichalite Feb 27, 2019 6:55 pm

After 2 months of tracking, today I was able to snag a J seat for Mar last week on SFO - HND. Super excited.

beyounged Feb 28, 2019 1:23 am

I think most seats for last week of Mar opened yesterday. But I saw QF has TYO-YVR for Mar 31 but not for AS, anyone knows if it is also 2 fewer J seats than whatever QF sees, just like CX availability?

skimthetrees Feb 28, 2019 5:08 am

Originally Posted by beyounged (Post 30830436)
I think most seats for last week of Mar opened yesterday. But I saw QF has TYO-YVR for Mar 31 but not for AS, anyone knows if it is also 2 fewer J seats than whatever QF sees, just like CX availability?

No, there is not a 2 seat difference in availability. I have booked last seat J availability on JL. It was more likely a POS or inventory caching issue.

beyounged Feb 28, 2019 8:10 am

Originally Posted by skimthetrees (Post 30830814)
No, there is not a 2 seat difference in availability. I have booked last seat J availability on JL. It was more likely a POS or inventory caching issue.

yeah I guess that is probably the culprit. All kinds of wonky things going on, seems like some kind of married segment logic too, TPE-TYO-YVR has J seats and no Y seats, but if you search TYO-YVR there is just economy.

skimthetrees Feb 28, 2019 8:35 am

Originally Posted by beyounged (Post 30831341)
yeah I guess that is probably the culprit. All kinds of wonky things going on, seems like some kind of married segment logic too, TPE-TYO-YVR has J seats and no Y seats, but if you search TYO-YVR there is just economy.

Yes indeed. JL has a lot of married segment availability these days which restrict availability. You have to search for the end-to-end route you want, not just individual segments. You *should* be able to combine individual segments into a larger trip but finding availability on a multi-segment trip does not guarantee availability is available separately for the individual legs since the airline can restrict the sale to only married segments together.