Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Emirates award guide using Alaska Airlines miles

Routing Rules:

All trips must start or end in North America.
One open jaw and one stopover allowed on each one-way award.
No fees for changes/cancellations prior to 60 days from departure.

North American Gateway Cities:

West Coast
Seattle
San Francisco
Los Angeles

Central
Chicago
Dallas
Houston

East Coast
Boston
New York (JFK)
Orlando (Effective September 1, 2015)
Washington DC (IAD)

Canada
Toronto

Award Chart Links*:

Middle East & Africa

Asia

Europe

*If region is not listed on chart its not available.

Perks

Chauffeur Drive NOT Available
Car service is not available for all Business Class and First Class passengers on Alaska Airlines ticketed award tickets on Emirates flights (as of Jan 2015). The chauffeur will not confirm if you use the EK website for this, though the website makes it look you can make a reservation.

Lounges
Access is available for all passengers traveling in Business and First Class. Not all cities have lounges and many may be operated by a Partner. There have been some reports of people having an issue accessing the Dubai lounges as the tickets may appear in their system as non-revenue employee travel. This is not as much of a problem as it used to be but in case it comes up please advise the lounge attendant that you are on an Alaska Airlines award.

Dubai Connect

AS Awards on EK do not qualify for Dubai Connect, which is the service that offers the free hotel.

Tricks to find Transoceanic availability

Instead of performing a blanket, i.e. SEA-DXB search, perform: SEA-MED.
Madinah is a destination that is only served by EK. Consequently, if there is availability, only EK will show up in the calendar results.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Emirates (EK) awards availability/booking/routing thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2014, 5:13 pm

So there's no chance of getting the seats that show up on EF when as doesn't show it?
Old Apr 30, 2014, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by yerffej201
So there's no chance of getting the seats that show up on EF when as doesn't show it?
Pretty much
Old Apr 30, 2014, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by CDKing
Pretty much
so basically we can only get 2 f when ef says f3. which is next to impossible. great.
Old May 2, 2014, 11:34 pm

Programs: General Awesome Guy
so basically we can only get 2 f when ef says f3. which is next to impossible. great.
Just booked 2 F tickets for September LAX=> DXB where EF showed Z2 AND QF showed 2. Second time in EK F this year ex LAX. Had terrible problems with AS website and phantom EK availability. That said, some of the dates that showed phantom a week before, eventually became real....
Old May 3, 2014, 11:56 pm

Nope. When I booked two JFK-DXB-SIN, EF was showing Z2.
Old May 4, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
No, you can. It appears possible to book either 1 or 2 seats if Z=2, but no seats if Z=1.
Old May 4, 2014, 5:18 pm

It seems they are getting a bit better with giving lounge access when booking with Alaska miles. Yesterday I checked in at DXB and then preceded to the first class lounge. They scanned my ticket and asked if I was on some sort of crew or staff ticket... I said no, that I booked using Alaska miles and they just said ok and waived me in. It seems they are more aware of the issue now.
Old May 5, 2014, 4:37 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
It seems they are getting a bit better with giving lounge access when booking with Alaska miles. Yesterday I checked in at DXB and then preceded to the first class lounge. They scanned my ticket and asked if I was on some sort of crew or staff ticket... I said no, that I booked using Alaska miles and they just said ok and waived me in. It seems they are more aware of the issue now.
Was this a problem at any point? If you have a J ticket you have J lounge access, F ticket has F lounge access. I have never seen anything contrary to this, whether using miles or not.
Old May 5, 2014, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
We got the same question from the FCL staff last October, before we were waived in.
Old May 5, 2014, 6:25 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by whimike
Was this a problem at any point? If you have a J ticket you have J lounge access, F ticket has F lounge access. I have never seen anything contrary to this, whether using miles or not.
Apparently not if you are flying F/J using the employee fare [ZED fare or the like].

The first lounge I went, I was with a Platinum member, so it seems like they just let me in as his guest, but when I moved to one of the lounge over in concourse B I ran into the same issue. Took them about five minutes of typing and discussing before letting me through. I am not sure what is causing AS tickets to show up as an employee ticket in their system, but it sounds like after quite few encounters the front line employees are aware of this issue.
Old May 5, 2014, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
More phantom F space for my latest search. JFK-DXB-HKG on 11/5/14 shows available on AS site. I was naturally suspicious so I checked on expert flyer before hitting purchase and no Z space on either flight. As expected it came back with a message stating there was no space.

Originally Posted by SFO777
We got the same question from the FCL staff last October, before we were waived in.
I was anticipated being questioned on my trip but no comments.
Old May 8, 2014, 5:46 pm

Programs: MVPG75k-Boardroom, Hilton Gold
Just booked 2 F class tickets to MALE but one of the return legs is in J. I redeemed the full 90,000 miles though, will they automatically upgrade me to F if space comes available?
Old May 8, 2014, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by PDX973
Just booked 2 F class tickets to MALE but one of the return legs is in J. I redeemed the full 90,000 miles though, will they automatically upgrade me to F if space comes available?
Nope.
Old May 8, 2014, 7:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
You'd need to be proactive and call AS. Note- EK can be a bit of a bear with married segments- so even if F opens up, it still may not be bookable based on your flight combination.
Old May 8, 2014, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
How far out is your booking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.