Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Complimentary Upgrades Work

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2019, 1:25 pm

Programs: AS 1MM/MVPG, AS Lounge, DL SkyClub (Life), Hertz 5* -- AA, DL, UA
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
One it's under gate control anything can happen. The gate agents can do whatever they want. There is a procedure that they are supposed to follow -- whether they do or not is another story. This is why I always go say hi to the GA when my number on the list is smaller than the number of F seats available. (ETA: The procedure that I'm talking about here is asking before they split you)

I wish I'd had this advice a while back, flying MKE-SEA. There were 3 empty F seats - my wife & I (both MVPG) were top of the upgrade list. We took our assigned seats in PC, and waited for the GA to move us up before departure. Never happened, so I asked FA about it. "Up to GA" - but by then she'd left the plane and the door was shut. We took off with those 3 empty seats in F still empty. Very unhappy about AS since then.
UAPremierExec likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Originally Posted by akdancer
I wish I'd had this advice a while back, flying MKE-SEA. There were 3 empty F seats - my wife & I (both MVPG) were top of the upgrade list. We took our assigned seats in PC, and waited for the GA to move us up before departure. Never happened, so I asked FA about it. "Up to GA" - but by then she'd left the plane and the door was shut. We took off with those 3 empty seats in F still empty. Very unhappy about AS since then.
fire a note off via Alaska Listens. You'll get at least a $75 cert in your email.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:19 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Moderator Note: Some off-topic and borderline personal posts have been deleted.

This thread is a discussion of the process of complimentary upgrades, not the theory, evaluation, comparison or improvement of same. Those aspects may be discussed by starting a relevant thread.

dayone, AS Moderator
be_rettSEA and simonsuo like this.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: AS MVP Gld
MVPG - FC Upgrade 2 weeks out

Hi - I was upgraded 2 weeks prior to my flight date, T fare, no GGU cert used. My traveling companion, also an MVPG, same fare class different PNR, was not upgraded. Anyone know as to why I was upgraded 2 weeks out when the window is 72 hours prior? Is this common for Alaska? Thanks!
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Your companion must be on the same PNR. There is a "linking" process between PNRs but it is for reference only and does not do anything for upgrades.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: AS MVP Gld
Hi - thanks for the reply. I am aware on linking etc. but I guess my question was more specifically about the upgrade two weeks prior to the flight and if this is common?
Old Jun 10, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by k2sboardr
Hi - I was upgraded 2 weeks prior to my flight date, T fare, no GGU cert used. My traveling companion, also an MVPG, same fare class different PNR, was not upgraded. Anyone know as to why I was upgraded 2 weeks out when the window is 72 hours prior? Is this common for Alaska? Thanks!
Upgrades that far out are, in my experience, uncommon even on the instant upgrade eligible fares. T fares aren't even eligible for GGU use, so an upgrade before your window is lucky/technically should not have happened. I wouldn't go asking AS why it did unless you want to lose it though.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Extra follow-up questions: did you book your ticket before your companion? Is this a very elite-light route (like SAN-MSP or something similar)? How full is economy on that flight you were upgraded on? These all may have bearing on why you've been upgraded.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dmodemd
Your companion must be on the same PNR. There is a "linking" process between PNRs but it is for reference only and does not do anything for upgrades.
Companion is also MVPG so would be in the same queue. Most likely behind poster if booked shortly afterwards on the separate PNR.

It is unusual (shouldn't happen) that a non eligible fare would be upgraded before the 72hr MVPG upgrade window since they are in the MVPG complimentary upgrade request queue, not on the waitlist. If 1U had opened up two weeks prior to departure it should have gone to an eligible fare already waitlisted. If the waitlist was empty, the U should have stayed available for anyone purchasing an eligible fare for their Elite Staus or applying a GGU to a K or higher fare.

For a current reservation on a non-eligible fare the pax has the option to upfare (no change fee if you don't have a waiver) to an eligible fare for their status or to a K or higher fare for GGU application.

I wouldn't complain about a non-eligible fare being upgraded two weeks out. I certainly wouldn't bring it attention either.

For reference, GGUs can be applied to fares starting at K. They can be applied to higher classes as well but at some point the higher fare may already be an eligible fare and the GGU would no longer be reqired.

I was looking at a ANC-ORD itinerary with a companion certificate with 2U open. The lowest fare available was H, which is an eligible fare for instant upgrade for a 75K. If I purchased that flight, I would be upgraded on the Eligible fare and not need GGUs.

James
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Hi - thanks for the reply. I am aware on linking etc. but I guess my question was more specifically about the upgrade two weeks prior to the flight and if this is common?
Ok, I had interpreted your question to be about "companion upgrades" because you referred to your companion.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: Continental
Complimentary upgrades

How are they prioritized?
I'm familiar with UA.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ntary-upgrades
safari ari and williwaw like this.

Last edited by dayone; Jun 18, 2019 at 5:36 pm Reason: Delete circular link after merge.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 2:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Just remember that theory and practise don't necessarily always coincide.

James
Old Jun 18, 2019, 4:25 pm

Programs: AS 75k, Hyatt EXPL, *all* the CC statuses
Obviously reading the given links will provide you with most of the necessary knowledge.

Coming from UA, the major differences are:
  • Award ticket fare classes are scattered throughout the standard upgrade order; having a co-brand credit card is not necessary and only the lowest award class comes last.
  • MVP (Silver) does not get a companion for upgrades
  • You can't waitlist instrument upgrades. Therefore the only hierarchy within the 120-, 72-, or 48-hour upgrade window is status > fare class > time of request (not time of ticketing).
  • All upgrades clear into the U fare bucket, and U class is never eligible for lounge access.
  • All flights operated by AS (or OO or QX) are eligible for upgrades.
jjmadison likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sudobuntu
[*]You can't waitlist instrument upgrades. Therefore the only hierarchy within the 120-, 72-, or 48-hour upgrade window is status > fare class > time of request (not time of ticketing).
I think that instant-upgrade fares throw a wrench into this a bit.

If, at T-70, a U seat opens, I'm not sure if an MVP who bought a Y fare before the window opened would be ahead of or behind a MVPG on an R fare. I think that the MVP on the Y fare would be ahead, but given recent data I'm less sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.