Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Canadian MasterCard

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2014, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by todd-r
Before MBNA declines you they would call to discuss moving credit from one of your other cards and/or closing a card to 'free up' available credit. Since you haven't heard anything yet, you should call them and ask about the status of your recent application.
+1
I had to do that too to shift credit limits around, especially if one has a large limit on other MBNA cards (like me, Platinum for 0% Balance Transfer)
Old Jan 20, 2014, 12:33 pm

I called and they told me I was conditionally approved, but that my application was being reviewed by the security department (they said this means they just need to review something before issuing the card to me - could be something as simple as double checking my address or DOB, or more in-depth), so it will take more time. It's been almost 5 weeks now. Anyone have their application go to this stage and take longer than a month? Wonder if they're checking my churning activity. My MBNA BW MC has seen a lot of that action...LOL
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:23 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by pokee
I called and they told me I was conditionally approved, but that my application was being reviewed by the security department (they said this means they just need to review something before issuing the card to me - could be something as simple as double checking my address or DOB, or more in-depth), so it will take more time. It's been almost 5 weeks now. Anyone have their application go to this stage and take longer than a month? Wonder if they're checking my churning activity. My MBNA BW MC has seen a lot of that action...LOL
I've churned the MBNA BW MC 3 times, twice for the Smartcash, once for the Choice Privs and Sony cards. So, they certainly have enough history on me. When I applied for the Alaska card, I also had to call them up to check my status, and they said I was approved, and that I would get it in the mail in whatever the standard reply is, 7-10 biz days. After that time had passed, and still no card in the mail, I called again and the rep put me on hold, spoke to some other staff, came back and said it was still 'in the queue'. But, it sounded like since I had called again and was sounding a bit miffed, they pulled it out (perhaps it was also in a security or churn review stack) and put it in the ready-to-stamp-and-mail-out pile. I got the card within a week after that.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 5:11 pm

Jeez, sounds like you have to hound them to get your Alaska card. Maybe they're backlogged? That would be a first, at least as far as my experience goes!
Old Feb 18, 2014, 2:59 pm

World Elite MBNA Question

I received the offer for a bonus 10k miles to upgrade to the Alaska World Elite Mastercard.

1. This seems too good to be true. The only difference I can see is that I get 10,000 bonus miles. No additional annual fee? What's the difference between the 2 cards? Why do they offer this?

2. Will I get 10,000 bonus miles? The fine print in the mail says I will "receive a onet-time 10,000 Bonus Miles offer per upgrade account". However, the online version says, "Your existing Alaska Airlines miles will be converted to Alaska Airlines World Elite miles at the rate of 100%, meaning you will receive 1 Alaska Airlines World Elite mile for each mile, upon account conversion." Aren't these saying different things? I think I'd better call them to find out.

So, yeah, still seems too good to be true and I'm thinking there's gotta be a catch.
Old Feb 18, 2014, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by ranman1973
I received the offer for a bonus 10k miles to upgrade to the Alaska World Elite Mastercard.

1. This seems too good to be true. The only difference I can see is that I get 10,000 bonus miles. No additional annual fee? What's the difference between the 2 cards? Why do they offer this?

2. Will I get 10,000 bonus miles? The fine print in the mail says I will "receive a onet-time 10,000 Bonus Miles offer per upgrade account". However, the online version says, "Your existing Alaska Airlines miles will be converted to Alaska Airlines World Elite miles at the rate of 100%, meaning you will receive 1 Alaska Airlines World Elite mile for each mile, upon account conversion." Aren't these saying different things? I think I'd better call them to find out.

So, yeah, still seems too good to be true and I'm thinking there's gotta be a catch.
I believe MasterCard gets higher % on the World Elite card instead of non-World Elite card, and that's why they auto-upgrade people meeting the income requirement (i.e. I should've put down lower income when I applied, I think $60K will do, as I missed out the 10K extra bonus offer, sigh)

Go for it, it's legit
Old Feb 18, 2014, 4:01 pm

It allows them to charge higher merchant fees. No downsides for you as an individual (although higher operating costs eventually means higher costs for consumers long run although that alone is hard to pin down).

http://www.mastercard.com/ca/wce/PDF...e_Overview.pdf

Plat Plus is 2% for small businesses, World Elite is 2.65%.

The black card looks way nicer to boot
Old Feb 18, 2014, 9:46 pm

I got my invite today too. Done and Done.
Old Feb 21, 2014, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by crimsona

The black card looks way nicer to boot
Yes, it looks nicer. But so few people can actually tell it's a MasterCard!
Old Feb 21, 2014, 9:52 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
How do you get/see the invite for the World Elite?

Is it just logging in to MBNA rewards as seeing if it's there?
Old Feb 25, 2014, 1:07 pm

The only thing I see on my account for the World Elite is a 3000 mile bonus to upgrade... Although there is nothing for me to click to upgrade.

I guess I will have to call and ask what the deal is and if its targeted with specific promos
Old Feb 25, 2014, 1:22 pm

3k to upgrade from the Platinum to the World Elite? Did they just nerf the promo?

Yes just log into the Rewards tab of the MBNA website and it's there under Special Offers
Old Mar 2, 2014, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by crimsona
3k to upgrade from the Platinum to the World Elite? Did they just nerf the promo?

Yes just log into the Rewards tab of the MBNA website and it's there under Special Offers
Shoot, after looking I realized I already had the World Elite Card from the beginning..

Unless I apply for a 2nd account, no more free points for me, oh well
Old Mar 3, 2014, 5:27 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, UA Silver
Got my card and points posted today.

Got my rebate as well for the annual fee from GCR.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 5:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Applied for the card... Now to see if they approve it. Would love to be able to use it to upgrade my award tickets.

Last edited by roastpuff; Mar 3, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.