Capital One Lounge at IAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Capital One Lounge at IAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2023, 7:36 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Just when I think I know all about my home airports, I get more info from FT! Thanks for this titbit.
Originally Posted by lamphs
Not much of a view, except of the moon buggies. It was only today that I noticed each is labeled with the abbreviation of a state.

lamphs likes this.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Wow that food looks 10x better than Amex or DL. Wonder how long it will last, LOL!

According to Bloomberg, Cap1 Venture and Cap1 Spark Miles cardholders are limited to 2 visits per year. Is that accurate?? I thought the limits only applied to the Plaza Premium lounges. Also can I bring the family or is it 1 person per card? What about AUs?

Bloomberg story (paywall)
Old Sep 20, 2023, 7:28 pm
mia
Flyertalk Posting Legend Moderator: Credit Card Programs, American Express, Capital One, Chase, Citi, Diners Club, Signatures.

Programs: HH & IHG Gold; Marriott & AA Perpetual Platinum
Originally Posted by Boraxo
According to Bloomberg, Cap1 Venture and Cap1 Spark Miles cardholders are limited to 2 visits per year. Is that accurate??
https://capitalonetravel.com/lounges...al-one-lounges

Venture X and Venture X Business primary cardholders can enjoy unlimited complimentary access, plus complimentary entry for two guests per visit—and special pricing of $45 per visit for additional guests.

Venture & Spark Miles cardholders receive 2 complimentary visits towards their account per calendar year. These complimentary visits may be used for themselves, their authorized users or account managers, or guests who are traveling with them. Additional visits can be purchased for a discounted rate of $45.

All other cardholders & non-customers can enter at the standard rate of $65.

Children under 2 can enter for free with a supervising parent or guardian. Access to all amenities is included with Lounge entry.

To qualify for complimentary or discounted Lounge access, card accounts must be in good standing and cardholders must present their eligible Capital One card. Additionally, cardholders and guests must present a boarding pass for a departing or connecting same-day flight. We will not admit cardholders or guests with boarding passes for arriving flights with no connection. Guests may enter up to 3 hours before their departure time. Failure to present this documentation may result in access being denied.

Lounge entry is subject to availability and access can be redeemed or purchased at the check-in desk. Advance reservations are not available at this time. We ask that all visiting the Lounge follow our Code of Conduct.
SPN Lifer and Boraxo like this.
Old Sep 20, 2023, 9:20 pm

A yelp review said the lounge is very crowded. I'm skeptical since it just opened. Any truth to that review?
Old Sep 21, 2023, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by iluvdoco
A yelp review said the lounge is very crowded. I'm skeptical since it just opened. Any truth to that review?
This has been my experience with C1 DFW. Depends on the time of the day and day of the week. It has been crowded and my next trip the lounge seemed empty.

Last edited by TGarza; Sep 22, 2023 at 4:38 pm
Old Sep 21, 2023, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AwardTravel101 reporting waitlists at both Cap1 lounges - up to 30min wait. That didn't take long.

How long before Cap1 further limits access like Amex and DL?
Old Sep 22, 2023, 2:50 pm

Between the 3 hour limit and the potential waiting period, and this is a first world problem, I may rethink this whole thing. For example, I just flew IAD-ZRH, with a boarding time of 5 PM for a 5:50 PM flight. (There used to be a time when I didn't mind boarding last (even though I am group 1), but now with all of the carry-ons, I don't want to end up with my bag behind me.)

With the 3 hour rule, if it is based on departure time, I wouldn't be allowed in until 2:50 PM, and maybe as late as 3:20-3:30 PM. Getting to the C/D gates takes 20 minutes from the C1 lounge, so I'd have to leave the lounge at 4:40 PM. This makes the lounge visit less than two hours, or maybe less if there is a line. I am using the lounge to accomplish some last minute work and not to pig out on the free food and gulp down the free drinks.

Not sure it is worth it to get to IAD early just to use the C1 lounge.

Last edited by lamphs; Sep 22, 2023 at 11:53 pm
Old Sep 22, 2023, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

. Not sure it is worth it.
Worth what?
  • Signing up for a credit card that you don't need but that comes with a fat SUB?
  • Using one of your 2 day passes (if you get the cheaper Venture or Spark card)?
  • Arriving at the airport early so you can work in the lounge?
  • Risk waiting in a 30min line with nothing much to do except ride the trains to the terminals?
Old Sep 22, 2023, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Worth what?
  • Signing up for a credit card that you don't need but that comes with a fat SUB?
  • Using one of your 2 day passes (if you get the cheaper Venture or Spark card)?
  • Arriving at the airport early so you can work in the lounge?
  • Risk waiting in a 30min line with nothing much to do except ride the trains to the terminals?
I clarified my post a bit. Already have the C1X card and will keep it (and when I applied for it, the IAD C1 lounge was not a consideration for me). It has already paid for itself.

My point is that the 3 hour limit in actuality maybe be 1.5-1.75 hours of usable lounge time for an international flight and a bit more for domestic flights. If work calls, another 20 minutes to grab a drink and a light meal, get setup and repack (all in the lounge). Now we're getting into 1-1.5 hours of usable time.

I have other lounge choices at IAD at my disposable. I'm just stating that the time limit and the potential wait time are data points for me to consider when choosing which IAD lounge to use. This was not meant to be a criticism of the very nice lounge (you saw the pics).

Last edited by lamphs; Sep 23, 2023 at 12:05 am
Old Sep 25, 2023, 11:44 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Delta Gold, AA Platinum, United Silver
I visited about a week after opening and there was no wait. There were people in the lounge, but plenty of open seating. The area closer to the front of the lounge was completely open except for one person.
Boraxo and iluvdoco like this.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 4:13 pm

What time does the menu change over from breakfast to "all day"?
Old Sep 27, 2023, 2:18 pm

Programs: None
Pretty excited to check out this lounge. Looks a lot like the AMEX lounges which are great...when they're not crowded.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 1:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
...With the 3 hour rule, if it is based on departure time,
This is kind of annoying - the app says "boarding time" while the website references "departure time."

Old Oct 4, 2023, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by chrisny2
This is kind of annoying - the app says "boarding time" while the website references "departure time."

Interesting. If it is actually 3 hours prior to boarding time, that would be great! Maybe someone going through there soon can get a clearer answer. If not, I'll be through there again in the next couple of weeks and I'll ask and report back.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2023, 10:03 pm

Recent yelp report from 10/1 said the lounge is overcrowded and drink orders took forever. I'm expecting an Amex inspired downgrading of guest privileges soon.

I'll be visiting next week- will report back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.