Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Airport Lounges
Reload this Page >

Capital One Lounge at IAD

Capital One Lounge at IAD

Old Sep 11, 2023, 1:59 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by m907
I thought the Turkish Airlines lounge was well-regarded.
Not by me. If it isn't crowded, it is ok...I guess.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by mcgahat
Not by me. If it isn't crowded, it is ok...I guess.
Turkish is by far the best lounge at IAD. It is small, but that's a given - and CapOne will be bigger.

However in terms of f&b Turkish is the best (perhaps a testament to the low expectations of US lounges, but still)

Meanwhile, the CapOne lounge at IAD seems to be open now. There are a few glowing reviews on Google. Not many photos, but from the ones there it looks large and pretty. However, the food options I saw looked quite unexciting. Hope it's actually better than that (but if not - I'll just schlep over to TK, as usual)

Last edited by tr3k; Sep 12, 2023 at 3:09 pm
Old Sep 12, 2023, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by tr3k
Turkish is by far the best lounge at IAD.
I will take the BA lounge over TK any day at IAD. Just to name one.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 9:18 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL PM, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by mcgahat
I will take the BA lounge over TK any day at IAD. Just to name one.
We are partial to LH not BA and cannot believe they are now PPass. Last time I flew DL from IAD I went to the LH lounge
EY and LH lounges allow boarding the plane from lounge when flying their plane.
EY has a great lounge too and that is not PPass.

The new Polaris lounge is OK but far from many gates (and not open to PPass)
BA is good; AF & VS are so so but better than UA Clubs. I feel TK is about the same as AF/VS

The new Cap 1 lounge will allow many more UA flyers to access a lounge after security at IAD.
I do not think there are as many UA club members as Capital One card holders and I expect the lounge to get very very crowded soon.
I am surprised Amex has no presence at IAD (I guess at DCA at least DL lounges exist for those flying DL)
iluvdoco likes this.

Last edited by ffI; Sep 12, 2023 at 9:23 pm
Old Sep 13, 2023, 5:23 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz #1 Club Gold
I am flying out of Dulles on Friday and didn't expect this lounge to be open yet. If I apply for the Venture X card today and am approved, will I be able to get into the lounge if I don't have the physical card yet?
Old Sep 13, 2023, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA 1K>Plat>moving to Silver
AF and Virgin lounges allowed PP holders at practically any time during COVID. Which was great, but I knew would not last. They are back to time restrictions making them mostly unusable for PP (with the exception that Virgin is great in the morning if flying UA out of the lower A gates).

BA takes PP in the morning, but they dont set out any good food or drink until the afternoon, when it is restricted to BA flyers (and then is a great lounge - up there with Polaris, maybe better if you are in F and get the Concorde Room).

LH has the Senator and the reopened Business lounges. UA gold get Sen, while PP gets business downstairs. I think these are less crowded now that Polaris opened. I go to Polaris even when flying LH or Austrian.

I will sometimes go to TK using PP if I have time. It has good middle eastern food and a good bar. But frankly, if I have access to any of the other A/B lounges (except BA in the morning). I prefer those.

As mentioned above, I hope the Cap One lounge takes pressure off all the other lounges, especially TK.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 10:36 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by Mr. Mastodon Flyer
I am flying out of Dulles on Friday and didn't expect this lounge to be open yet. If I apply for the Venture X card today and am approved, will I be able to get into the lounge if I don't have the physical card yet?
I recall from previous posts about the DFW that it is permitted. Not sure from experience how exactly it works.
Mr. Mastodon Flyer likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by ffI
We are partial to LH not BA and cannot believe they are now PPass. Last time I flew DL from IAD I went to the LH lounge
EY and LH lounges allow boarding the plane from lounge when flying their plane.
EY has a great lounge too and that is not PPass.

The new Polaris lounge is OK but far from many gates (and not open to PPass)
BA is good; AF & VS are so so but better than UA Clubs. I feel TK is about the same as AF/VS

The new Cap 1 lounge will allow many more UA flyers to access a lounge after security at IAD.
I do not think there are as many UA club members as Capital One card holders and I expect the lounge to get very very crowded soon.
I am surprised Amex has no presence at IAD (I guess at DCA at least DL lounges exist for those flying DL)
I think this is a good summary of the lounge situation at IAD. I do hope that the new Capital One lounge will give relief to other lounges. My comment about the BA lounge is flying on QR as a Oneworld Emerald which I think is a really good experience. You arrive just after evening BA flight but well before the late night flight and leave just as it is getting busy. Food, beverage and service has always been excellent. QR gives access to TK lounge which simply doesnt stack up against the BA offering.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 1:52 pm

I must say that I’m impressed. Entered around 1 PM on Saturday (9/16). Just a handful of guests here at the time, but it is starting to pickup now (about 2:30). Very friendly – from the front desk to the barista to the bartenders to the person bussing the tables to the person(s) setting out food.

I’ll include some food pics below. There are plenty of professional pics of the facility itself out there on the travel blogger sites.

I think my only nitpicking criticism is that the wastebasket for the toilet rooms is on the opposite side of the door (I like to open the door with a paper towel after washing my hands).

The fresh food selection is excellent. Many of the recipes and food ingredients are sourced locally (I know of many of the places referenced). This includes at least one local draft and at least one specialty cocktail. I did mention to one of the servers when placing the tortilla chips in the excellent asparagus guacamole, the chips become a bit soft and break easily when scooping the guacamole.

The barista bar also has fresh baked goods, including some locally sourced. There is a refrigerator case near the front desk that has many ‘to go’ selections. Staff was encouraging me to help myself (including the fresh baked goods). I am on UA tonight in Y so I might just help myself to a couple of things (although I wonder how ‘help yourself’ will be sustainable over time).

The bar seems well stocked. Unfortunately I could not get a pic of the liquor selection, but I’ve included a pic of the alcohol menu. I did have a ‘Bee’s Knees’ in a very unique glass and then a gin (Botanist) & tonic.

Not much of a view, except of the moon buggies. It was only today that I noticed each is labeled with the abbreviation of a state.

This may be enough for me to give up my United Club membership as I am *G and can access the TK or LH Senator lounge at IAD as necessary.

Let me know if you have any questions; I’ll try to answer. Off to the LH Senator lounge for a pretzel!

Last edited by lamphs; Sep 16, 2023 at 2:03 pm
Old Sep 16, 2023, 2:40 pm

I also entered today 9/16 (a Saturday) at 3pm. Really happy with the experience so far. Is not too crowded and the food selection is good. They are doing a great job keeping everything restocked. I do wish there was more of a buffet style food option instead of just small plates as I came hungry but I did find them filling enough. The atmosphere is quite laid back and quiet. Ill be happily taking some of the grab and go food with me on my flight soon.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by lamphs (Post # 40)
This may be enough for me to give up my United Club membership as I am *G and can access the TK or LH Senator lounge at IAD as necessary.

Let me know if you have any questions; Ill try to answer. Off to the LH Senator lounge for a pretzel!
Thank you for the extensive photographs. Well done!

I think frequent IAD flyers would still want to keep a United Club membership for gate propinquity.

Does the IAD Capital One Lounge serve wine?
lamphs likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
Thank you for the extensive photographs. Well done!

I think frequent IAD flyers would still want to keep a United Club membership for gate propinquity.

Does the IAD Capital One Lounge serve wine?
You're welcome.

Yes, on wine, but I didn't catch the details unless there is something in the bar menu pic.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2023, 12:48 pm

I failed to note that I arrived about 4 hours prior to scheduled boarding time. The agent advised that there was normally a 3 hour limit, but due to the low usage, it wouldn't be enforced for me, but that should not be a future expectation.

I wonder how it is enforced?
Old Sep 17, 2023, 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by lamphs
I failed to note that I arrived about 4 hours prior to scheduled boarding time. The agent advised that there was normally a 3 hour limit, but due to the low usage, it wouldn't be enforced for me, but that should not be a future expectation.

Only speculation in this case but typically the lounge wouldnt allow entry until 3 hours before your flight.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2023, 11:35 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
Originally Posted by lamphs

You didn't need to show a boarding pass?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.