Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Berlin Files for Bankruptcy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2017, 4:01 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Slots for German airports are not a tradeable commodity like for LHR. If you don't use them they go back to the FluKo. More here: http://www.fhkd-speicher.org/
Old Aug 19, 2017, 4:23 am

Originally Posted by frogster
The proceeds from those sales will then be used to satisfy all new debt created after declaring insolvency (especially the government loan)- anything remaining would be used to satisfy old debts (Ethiad, EU261,...)
Yes, the gouvernement credit of EUR 150M is a first lien debt. Then comes gouvernement tax, social security contributions etc.

I'm not sure, if there will be anything left for old debts.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Slots for German airports are not a tradeable commodity like for LHR. If you don't use them they go back to the FluKo. More here: http://www.fhkd-speicher.org/
Do you know if TXL is slot constrained at the moment? It is maybe a Google question I should search, but you always seems to have the facts at your finger tips.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:07 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

I doubt TXL is so constrained that people are offering money to get 'slots'. EW has been able to start new routes at will in the past 4 years.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I doubt TXL is so constrained that people are offering money to get 'slots'. EW has been able to start new routes at will in the past 4 years.
Not to the level of offering money, but just to the level of being hard to get. But seems not.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:34 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by opalfruit
Hmm. Does anyone know which parts of AB Lufthansa are interested in?
LH already has a wetlease for 30+ single-aisle AB planes & crews for use with Eurowings. According to German media, they are angling for more planes, crews and slots to quickly grow their LCC-subsidiary.
I'd speculate they'd put those planes/crews on low-cost leisure destinations, similar to what EW is serving now, Southern Europe, Caribbean, SE Asia, ...
Old Aug 21, 2017, 1:46 am

There is a considerable tour op market in Germany that a number of leisure oriented carriers like tui, condor, AB/LTU and recently EW bid for. Besides its own dysfunctional structure, the fact that EW started longhaul with 7 leased A332 drove yet another nail in AB's coffin. EW got 7 ex-QR A332 from GECAS on lease , I'm sure GECAS and Aercap are happy to give EW the other AB A332 on lease. But AB will hardly benefit from that, the only advantage is their staff. LH/EW struggled to find decent flight crew for the EW A332 ops.
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:04 am

Good prices

Originally Posted by frogster
Apperently the german goverment is offering emergency loans - flights are supposed to continue for now (http://www.spiegel.de/ German only

Will be interesting to see what happens to TopBonus since ist owned by Ethiad...
Yes, they received a credit from the government. So we will see how long they can proceed flying. however I don't think that they will have to shut down comepletely. Actually they are offering quite cheap deals at the moment, risky though. But quite reasonable for shortterm flights and not too risky in my opinion. Will take the opportunity to purchase a few cheap tickets!
Old Aug 23, 2017, 6:52 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
There is a considerable tour op market in Germany that a number of leisure oriented carriers like tui, condor, AB/LTU and recently EW bid for. Besides its own dysfunctional structure, the fact that EW started longhaul with 7 leased A332 drove yet another nail in AB's coffin. EW got 7 ex-QR A332 from GECAS on lease , I'm sure GECAS and Aercap are happy to give EW the other AB A332 on lease. But AB will hardly benefit from that, the only advantage is their staff. LH/EW struggled to find decent flight crew for the EW A332 ops.
Didn't AB already have enough nails for its coffins to be secured tightly even before EW got all 7 leased A332s in to place? This had seemed to be a carrier that had a coffin with enough nails on hand even 4 years ago.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:03 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
I just visited the EY website: they deleted any reference to AB on the homepage. At least on the german webpage the partnership was featured prominently in the past.

Only reference I could find was under airline partners. This seems unchanged for the moment.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:05 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Ha! Just saw that airberlin has deleted Etihad also from their webpage. At the bottom under airline partners it just lists Nikki and Oneworld now.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Interesting, very interesting. I see this as a sign of some negotiations, or otherwise attempts to save the thing still lasting. I wish them good luck
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:12 pm

After AirBerlin's scheduling mishaps, they sent me an email in July offering my choice of a cash refund, or a voucher for future use (they included the voucher code in that email). I opted for cash. Unfortunately, they didn't send the cash refund before the announcement of bankruptcy last week. If I use the voucher, I'm no longer eligible for the cash refund.

My options are as follows:
1) File a claim at the appropriate time as the insolvency proceedings unfold.
2) Book a dummy ticket using the voucher for a far-off future date, and hope that I can get a cash refund when they go under, or the opportunity to transfer the ticket to a date that will actually work for me.

Which do you think is more likely to yield something of value?

Thank you.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, AF Silver, IHG Gold, Sixt Plat,
Originally Posted by sambojohn
After AirBerlin's scheduling mishaps, they sent me an email in July offering my choice of a cash refund, or a voucher for future use (they included the voucher code in that email). I opted for cash. Unfortunately, they didn't send the cash refund before the announcement of bankruptcy last week. If I use the voucher, I'm no longer eligible for the cash refund.

My options are as follows:
1) File a claim at the appropriate time as the insolvency proceedings unfold.
2) Book a dummy ticket using the voucher for a far-off future date, and hope that I can get a cash refund when they go under, or the opportunity to transfer the ticket to a date that will actually work for me.

Which do you think is more likely to yield something of value?

Thank you.
It is my understanding that any vouchers issued before the official insolvency date are no longer being honored. You can check to see if it is still valid here
Old Aug 24, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
What was the recent deal AB had to metal some of EW's flights, and what happens to that arrangement in the near future?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.