Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Berlin Files for Bankruptcy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: *G, OWS
Originally Posted by irishguy28
No I don't - and the same thing is possible for airlines using hub airports in Germany, France, The Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria....

Remember that the orginal statement went "UK is 10 times smaller market than the continental Europe".

Whether or not you want to discount Heathrow (for no good reason!), the statement is clearly and completely inaccurate!
I never once stated the 10% (although I think it could be accurate once you count markets in continental Europe but not EU 28 like Switzerland, Russia, Turkey etc. as well) or that Heathrow has to be discounted (London definitely is the biggest market in the EU).
My point was simply that the market size couldn’t be determined with the figures presented in that table

Last edited by frogster; Aug 16, 2017 at 9:45 am Reason: typo
Old Aug 16, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Always a pleasure!

I was fascinated to discover that BA takes more passengers to/from AMS than does AF!!! [That implies that London is a bigger destination than all of France. Yes, AF/France will receive some of KLM's much larger passenger numbers, but so too does KLM carry far more pax to the UK than does BA, given KL's greater geographical spread] But Vueling is the top IAG airline at AMS!!!
https://www.thalys.com
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
There's more to France than Lille and Paris....but on the other hand, the Eurostar may finally fetch up in Rotterdam and Amsterdam next year...
Old Aug 16, 2017, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by frogster
I never once stated the 10% (although I think it could be accurate once you count markets in continental Europe but not EU 28 like Switzerland, Russia, Turkey etc. as well)
I never said that you were the person that made that claim - but that was the claim I was refuting when you joined in:

Originally Posted by wazow
UK is 10 times smaller market than the continental Europe. I am frankly surprised with investment decisions of IAG.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Note that AB doesn't serve the Benelux at all, and only has patchy coverage in several of those other places mentioned.

Nevertheless, the "shorthaul" traffic from these regions that doesn't want to connect to the oneworld hubs doesn't seem to make a compelling business case for oneworld or any oneworld airline to move to secure such routes. Such traffic wasn't sufficient to keep AB afloat, and probably appeals more to the likes of easyjet who are in discussions with AB, LH and the German government.
It does seem to make sense for the LH group - LH, LX, SN, LO, OS are not just feeder airlines for longhaul ...

With the demise of AB, OW (and OW pax!) will have the same problems (again) in Europe as it has in Greater China. There it's only CX on the periphery
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
I never said that you were the person that made that claim - but that was the claim I was refuting when you joined in:
And I have agreed that you are right a long time ago, clarifying that I am less concerned with IAG business decisions, and more with the future of flying market in the continental Europe. Watching from the side, and enjoying how you fiercely discuss something I don't care much for
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
There's more to France than Lille and Paris....but on the other hand, the Eurostar may finally fetch up in Rotterdam and Amsterdam next year...
Except that by that time maybe nobody wants to travel between these two countries anymore....

But my point was that it is easier to travel between Holland and France staying on the ground - train but even more so car. Besides, if you drive to France you can take the aardappels and the karbonaadjes with you
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:02 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
What is the general view on revenue tickets in the longer run?

The brief statements I've seen talks about AB for now will be flying all flights as scheduled. Roughly, for how long can one expect this to be the case?

IIUC none of the options currently discussed is to keep AB alive, so for tickets in the farther future we already know there will not be an AB around to fulfil the contracts. Are there any talks about someone assuming any responsibility for those future tickets (ie new operator taking over some routes and accepting the liability for already sold ticket) or is it rather certain that any solution will be a clean slate for new operators (ie new operator taking on some of the the aircraft leases, slots and so on, but nothing else)?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:15 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
IMO it's somewhat save up untill mid/end October with only a few cancellations up untill then.

After Lufthansa / Eurowings / Austrian / easyjet / Ryanair / TUI / Condor / Etihad touristic newco taking over routes or parts of the airline it will probably depend on the route.

A good scenario might be the longhaul routes going to EW or DE, touristic short and medium routes to easy/TUI/DE and some business route pairs to EW/LH/OS.

If decissions are made short term IMO there is a good chance that even most tix for flights in the mid- and long-term might be honoured as part of the takeover agreement between the new provider of the route and the insolvency procurer to lessen the debt towards ticket holders..

We now have to wait and see.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by intuition
(ie new operator taking over some routes and accepting the liability for already sold ticket)
The chance for that is very, very close to 0%.

If you have a ticket already, you can hope, that your flight is before AB runs out of money.

To book a new ticket now means to take the high risk of a total loss. Maybe not a problem for flights taking place tomorrow, but for flights in November or December, that risk may be higher than 90%.

If you really need to book an AB flight now, don't book it at AirBerlin. If possible, you can book that flight on another ticket stock than 745- at another airline (OW, EYP), if possible. That way you will maybe not get your flight, but in that case you will get your money back.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:26 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by thbe
The chance for that is very, very close to 0%.

If you have a ticket already, you can hope, that your flight is before AB runs out of money.

To book a new ticket now means to take the high risk of a total loss. Maybe not a problem for flights taking place tomorrow, but for flights in November or December, that risk may be higher than 90%.

If you really need to book an AB flight now, don't book it at AirBerlin. If possible, you can book that flight on another ticket stock than 745- at another airline (OW, EYP), if possible. That way you will maybe not get your flight, but in that case you will get your money back.
I think it's really too early to come to that conclusion. If bidders are breaking up the airline are are only bidding for slots and planes (AB employees out of a job), then yeah, ticket is worthless. If bidders are taking over airline operations and then trimming unprofitable routes over a period to time (AB employees stay employed) then ticket would be valid unless the route is cancelled entirely.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 4:27 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
OK, thank you both.
I have november tickets on a route (TXL-CPH) where AB is the sole operator with 4 daily non-stops. So no legacy carriers currently, but with 4 daily there must be some demand.

I gather november is likely beyond the point where either the reconstruction/liquidation/dismemberment has finished or the emergency cash is gone. As I need to fly, I probably should buy new tickets elsewhere and wait for the AB flight to be cancelled and hope for money back from credit card company. It is just a question about if I need to make new tickets refundable in case AB tickets actually are honoured.
As this isn't big news here, it is slightly difficult to monitor the situation.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:19 am

Programs: *G, OWS
Originally Posted by seawolf
I think it's really too early to come to that conclusion. If bidders are breaking up the airline are are only bidding for slots and planes (AB employees out of a job), then yeah, ticket is worthless. If bidders are taking over airline operations and then trimming unprofitable routes over a period to time (AB employees stay employed) then ticket would be valid unless the route is cancelled entirely.
I don't think that the german gvmt wants to see stranded passengers before the election (after, all bets are off)

Current information in the german media seems to be that the slots can not be sold by themself so this would require handing over plane, Crew and Slot (complicated under german law)
Old Aug 17, 2017, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by intuition
OK, thank you both.
I have november tickets on a route (TXL-CPH) where AB is the sole operator with 4 daily non-stops. So no legacy carriers currently, but with 4 daily there must be some demand.

I gather november is likely beyond the point where either the reconstruction/liquidation/dismemberment has finished or the emergency cash is gone. As I need to fly, I probably should buy new tickets elsewhere and wait for the AB flight to be cancelled and hope for money back from credit card company. It is just a question about if I need to make new tickets refundable in case AB tickets actually are honoured.
As this isn't big news here, it is slightly difficult to monitor the situation.
SK seems to have one flight a day at random hours,depending on the day. Not sure why they even keep that schedule, but that's a different story. If AB folds, and no one grabs that route, I am fairly certain SK will return to TXL. But that will most likely not save an existing AB ticket.

Pay with a Mastercard or similar. And you can get a refund via your credit card company if the ticket is lost. Don't use a Dankort.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:34 am
Moderator, Finnair

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
SK seems to have one flight a day at random hours,depending on the day. ...
You are right, they do. I missed it because it isn't even every day of the week. One flight Mo, fr, two flights Th, sun and no flights tue, wed, sat. A very odd schedule, maybe SK is just using the route to keep some surplus equipment in the air.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.