Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Berlin Files for Bankruptcy

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2017, 2:50 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by threeoh
I wonder if any airline (in any alliance) will pick up SFO-TXL, LAX-TXL, or ORD-TXL.
I think this creates a nice opening for IAG to make TXL a LEVEL base, it's probably also the right kind of market in terms of yields. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see one of these announced as a new LEVEL route soon.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:13 am

Programs: *G, OWS
Originally Posted by irishguy28
But if you look again, you will see that the UK leads the list of "International intra-EU-28 transport", with 137.8 million passengers - fully one-third of all international (i.e. cross-border) trips made from one EU member state to another. (Spain is second with 118 million, while Germany is third with 103 million). So, one-third of all international passengers travelling within the EU depart* from the UK. (*the table below is determined by departure declarations only, to eliminate double-counting on the arrival side)

(The only metric on which the UK market lags is on domestic journeys. Here, the UK comes only 5th, behind (respectively) Spain, Italy, France and Germany)

Fully understood - but you seem to overlook that intra-EU flights can be created with an international flight arriving in LHR and the same customer connecting to a intra-EU flight (say to Germany), showing the importance of the hub LHR...
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:40 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
The only One World member to fly to Curacao I think (or am I wrong ?)
Have flights to Curacao booked using TopBonus points in November.......watching this situation closely whilst biting fingernails !!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 4:54 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
IAG only really cares about intra-Europe flights connecting to longhaul ones because that's where most of the money is to be made; the intra-Europe point-to-point market is fiercely competitive and increasing impossible for a full service airline with a high cost base to remain competitive in. It's probably entirely logical for IAG not to focus on this market.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with that. Where I'm located - SOF in Eastern Europe - LH Group and a bunch of *A carriers provide daily flights, quite often multiple daily frequencies. How is it that all these full service carriers can make it work and the IAG airlines can't? Doesn't seem logical. London is one of the top destinations and served by multiple carriers - yet, BA only offers 1 flight a day. The airport is also served by several low cost carriers - EasyJet, Wizzair and Ryanair. And all - full-service and low-cost seem to co-exist - LH Group offers 4 daily flights to Vienna, 3 to Munich and 2 to Frankfurt. They had a flight to Duesseldorf before they switched it over to Eurowings. It's quite possible for a full service airline to be competitive. Low-costs generally fly to secondary airports and that's why I usually avoid them. The truth is IAG can definitely compete - it just chooses not to. There are 5 airlines flying to London with 7 daily flights that I counted - it's the top market and BA only provides 1 daily flight midday with inconvenient connections. But I'll stop here as I think I've gone quite off topic.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with that. Where I'm located - SOF in Eastern Europe - LH Group and a bunch of *A carriers provide daily flights, quite often multiple daily frequencies. How is it that all these full service carriers can make it work and the IAG airlines can't? Doesn't seem logical. London is one of the top destinations and served by multiple carriers - yet, BA only offers 1 flight a day. The airport is also served by several low cost carriers - EasyJet, Wizzair and Ryanair. And all - full-service and low-cost seem to co-exist - LH Group offers 4 daily flights to Vienna, 3 to Munich and 2 to Frankfurt. They had a flight to Duesseldorf before they switched it over to Eurowings. It's quite possible for a full service airline to be competitive. Low-costs generally fly to secondary airports and that's why I usually avoid them. The truth is IAG can definitely compete - it just chooses not to. There are 5 airlines flying to London with 7 daily flights that I counted - it's the top market and BA only provides 1 daily flight midday with inconvenient connections. But I'll stop here as I think I've gone quite off topic.
This is a slightly skewed example as Lufthansa Group is an outlier, AF-KLM also operates a single frequency to SOF from CDG which only seems to run seasonally in the summer.

From checking, Lufthansa Group has no direct competition on the MUC route, limited competition to FRA (one Wizzair flight a day, plus the odd Bulgaria Air flight every now and then) and only the odd Bulgaria Air flight as competition to VIE. Give it a few years until Ryanair/Easyjet/Norwegian move in on these routes as they have done from LON-SOF and we'll see if Lufthansa still has the same number of frequencies.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 5:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
All the AB hubs are served by several other other oneworld carriers.
Yes - from HEL, LON, MAD, BCN (maybe a few other UK airports, too), ie. from the fringes.

Nothing from France, Italy, Benelux, Poland, Scandinavia, Balkans, KundK (Austria-Hungary-Slovakia-Czech-Slovenia-Croatia)
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by frogster
Fully understood - but you seem to overlook that intra-EU flights can be created with an international flight arriving in LHR and the same customer connecting to a intra-EU flight (say to Germany), showing the importance of the hub LHR...
No I don't - and the same thing is possible for airlines using hub airports in Germany, France, The Netherlands, Switzerland, Austria....

Remember that the orginal statement went "UK is 10 times smaller market than the continental Europe".

Whether or not you want to discount Heathrow (for no good reason!), the statement is clearly and completely inaccurate!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sisyphus1carus
The only One World member to fly to Curacao I think (or am I wrong ?)
Have flights to Curacao booked using TopBonus points in November.......watching this situation closely whilst biting fingernails !!
AA flies there from both Charlotte and Miami with year-round service.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
Yes - from HEL, LON, MAD, BCN (maybe a few other UK airports, too), ie. from the fringes.

Nothing from France, Italy, Benelux, Poland, Scandinavia, Balkans, KundK (Austria-Hungary-Slovakia-Czech-Slovenia-Croatia)
Note that AB doesn't serve the Benelux at all, and only has patchy coverage in several of those other places mentioned.

Nevertheless, the "shorthaul" traffic from these regions that doesn't want to connect to the oneworld hubs doesn't seem to make a compelling business case for oneworld or any oneworld airline to move to secure such routes. Such traffic wasn't sufficient to keep AB afloat, and probably appeals more to the likes of easyjet who are in discussions with AB, LH and the German government.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:13 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
AA flies there from both Charlotte and Miami with year-round service.
Ah, yes of course. I was thinking of ex-EU area and didn't even think of the states !!
Bit hungover ;-)
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
However, under current rules a large chunk of my TB miles will expire at the end of this year.
That's what prompted me to make a booking for November a few weeks back. TB expiring in September.
Now I'm concerned on two fronts; Will my flight go ahead and if it doesn't what on earth will I be refunded ?!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:31 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by frogster
Actually LHR has lower connecting percentages than hubs such as AMS or FRA for the very simple reason that it is severely slot constrained, and has a local O&D market which is much stronger and provides a higher yield than the connecting traffic. Why waste seats on connecting low yield passengers when you can carry higher yield local passengers?
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
Actually LHR has lower connecting percentages than hubs such as AMS or FRA for the very simple reason that it is severely slot constrained, and has a local O&D market which is much stronger and provides a higher yield than the connecting traffic. Why waste seats on connecting low yield passengers when you can carry higher yield local passengers?
Heathrow had 22.7 million transfer passengers in 2016, 30% of the total.

Schiphol had 24 million, 37.8% of the total.

Meanwhile, FRAPort says the following about Frankfurt airport:

Originally Posted by FRAPort
With about 55 percent of all passengers using Frankfurt as a connecting hub, FRA also has the highest transfer rate among the major European hubs.
Given that FRA handled just over 60 million pax in 2016, that would suggest approx. 33 million transfer pax.
frogster likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Thanks for looking up the numbers, irishguy28.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BlackBerryAddict
Thanks for looking up the numbers, irishguy28.
Always a pleasure!

I was fascinated to discover that BA takes more passengers to/from AMS than does AF!!! [That implies that London is a bigger destination than all of France. Yes, AF/France will receive some of KLM's much larger passenger numbers, but so too does KLM carry far more pax to the UK than does BA, given KL's greater geographical spread] But Vueling is the top IAG airline at AMS!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.