Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Berlin Files for Bankruptcy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2017, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by geosch
Did you do so before AB's termination of that route had found its way into the booking systems, i.e. was the flight in question still shown as good at that point in time?
Also, was your original ticket issued on AA or on AB stock?
I did it before I read anything about AB's termination. I believe I made the change on Aug 25 or 26. The booking was still shown as good from AA's website.

Original ticket was booked using AA miles. AA rebooked me on ORD-LHR (AA metal), and LHR-TXL (BA metal). I liked the option because I avoided those dumb fuel surcharges from BA.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 4:13 pm

Did AA charge anything for reissuing the ticket? Was it straight-forward or did it involve a lengthy discussion? Did AA specifically acknowledge AB's insolvency situation as the reason for making the change to the ticket, or would they have that too under different circumstances? Would things have been different for a paid ticket (issued by AA but for a connection on AB)?
Old Sep 5, 2017, 5:36 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Did AA charge anything for reissuing the ticket? Was it straight-forward or did it involve a lengthy discussion? Did AA specifically acknowledge AB's insolvency situation as the reason for making the change to the ticket, or would they have that too under different circumstances? Would things have been different for a paid ticket (issued by AA but for a connection on AB)?
Ticket is AA miles. Changes keeping ORD to TXL are free except for difference in taxes/carrier imposed fees which there would be some on the BA LHR-TXL segment and LHR taxes.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 2:42 pm

I see; so from AA's perspective this was a normal rebooking on customer demand unrelated to AB's situation and flight cancellations.
I wonder what AA would have done if you had not changed your itinerary already before the AB flight cancellation was announced. Would they have rebooked you on another connection without charging any difference in fees?
Old Sep 6, 2017, 6:01 pm
Original Member

I see; so from AA's perspective this was a normal rebooking on customer demand unrelated to AB's situation and flight cancellations.
I wonder what AA would have done if you had not changed your itinerary already before the AB flight cancellation was announced. Would they have rebooked you on another connection without charging any difference in fees?
There is no reason AA need to reaccommodate at this point as booked flight is still listed as operating. Standard AA change rules still apply.

If AB cancels the flight on a AA-issued (001) ticket, you can try pressing AA to honor the procedures documented here. Don't know if they will push back because it is an award ticket.

Personally, I would plan on getting myself to FRA and have AA open up award seats on their metal to get back to US as a Plan B.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:21 pm

They only charged me $4.70 which was the tax difference between what I had already paid and the new booking.

When I mentioned the AB issue, the agent acted like she had no clue what I was talking about. I asked what would happen if the flight were to be cancelled. She said "they won't be cancelling this flight".
Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
German news magazine DER SPIEGEL reports that AB will cancel certain long distance flights from DUS and TXL at an earlier date than originally reported.

New cancellation date for the following destinations will be 25 September:

German newpaper Süddeutsche Zeitung has a slightly different list:

Last edited by Scrooge McDuck; Sep 11, 2017 at 11:37 am Reason: typo correction
                                    Old Sep 11, 2017, 10:26 am
                                    Original Member

All Caribbean routes axed.
                                    Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:29 am

Programs: AA
                                    Today's changes have me wondering if I should change my AB flight on 9/27 LAX-DUS-ZRH to the AA option, which is less ideal, schedule-wise. The ticket was originally booked with AA miles. What do you guys think?
                                    Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
                                    Originally Posted by peajc
                                    Today's changes have me wondering if I should change my AB flight on 9/27 LAX-DUS-ZRH to the AA option, which is less ideal, schedule-wise. The ticket was originally booked with AA miles. What do you guys think?
                                    If I where in your shoes, I would have been on the phone as soon as the first route where dropped. Better to have a secure flight on hand now, as opposed to wait at last moment and pick through what is available.
                                    Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:14 pm

If the flights (9/27) were cancelled, AA would automatically rebook you, right?
                                    So if you prefer to fly with AB, I wouldn't do anything right now.
                                    Keep in mind though that in case there are any operational problems with the flight (delays, lost luggage) your chances to get compensation from AB as the operating carrier are pretty slim.
                                    Old Sep 11, 2017, 12:37 pm
                                    Original Member

AA would likely rebook you on AA metal (thru JFK as an example) but you will have to deal with availability.
                                    Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
                                    I have a return Award ticket booked from TXL-ORD for end of Sep, with the return early October. It's booked through QF using my points. I contacted Qantas when the cancellations were being reported but they can't/ won't do anything as AB hasn't cancelled my flights yet. Any ideas when AB might actually cancel the bookings being reported in the media?
                                    Its quite frustrating, so I am looking at back up options myself as it's essential travel and dates.
                                    Old Sep 11, 2017, 7:23 pm

Programs: QF P1 + LTG VA Plat, AA nothing, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
                                    I have a return Award ticket booked from TXL-ORD for end of Sep, with the return early October. It's booked through QF using my points. I contacted Qantas when the cancellations were being reported but they can't/ won't do anything as AB hasn't cancelled my flights yet. Any ideas when AB might actually cancel the bookings being reported in the media?
                                    Its quite frustrating, so I am looking at back up options myself as it's essential travel and dates.
                                    Old Sep 11, 2017, 11:59 pm

Programs: AY+ Platinum / OWE
                                    Flight cancellations has started

https://www.airberlin.com/en/site/la...nformation.php

Airberlin has to cancel flights for operational reasons today. We regret the inconvenience for our passengers. Passengers holding tickets for cancelled flights will be offered other travel options. They are kindly asked not to come to the airport and to call the airberlin Service Center. All international phonenumbers are published here: https://www.airberlin.com/…/si…/airb...ice_center.php

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.