Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Benefits for OW emerald on AB ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat (OWS), W6 Discount Club, TK Elite (*G), ex-MA Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by 2TallSeaFlyer
I also found this page and intended to use if I had encountered any problems, but I still think that it is intended to show benefits that apply in the other direction, i.e. benefits available to AB elites on other OW airlienes. Don't you think so?
Old Dec 25, 2012, 8:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

This chart seems similar to the one found on oneworld.com. The disclaimer concerning preferred seats is

* Subject to the terms and conditions set by the oneworld member airline operating the flight.

I'll have AB a call again and will report results.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: AA 2MM former EXP - driven away by "Enhancements", MVPG75, Hilton Diamond
I called back this morning. After confirming that I was Emerald, I was able to choose an XL seat.

I did not have to refer to the chart.

The old FT truism - call back if you don't like the original answer.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 8:25 am
Original Member

Which country call centre did you call? I just had a call today to the US call centre and agent was still saying they are not available.

And by XL, you are referring to an exit row seat?

UPDATE: Called Germany. Agent transferred me to topbonus since it was an award. topbonus agent was able to immediately assigned XL seats after seeing my Saphhire status.

Last edited by seawolf; Dec 26, 2012 at 8:36 am
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: AA 2MM former EXP - driven away by "Enhancements", MVPG75, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by seawolf
Which country call centre did you call? I just had a call today to the US call centre and agent was still saying they are not available.

And by XL, you are referring to an exit row seat?

UPDATE: Called Germany. Agent transferred me to topbonus since it was an award. topbonus agent was able to immediately assigned XL seats after seeing my Saphhire status.
I called the US number. And yes, I was referring to exit row. I am also on an award flight.

While I called the US number, I strongly suspect I was talking to a native German speaker (I am too), which may or may not indicate that I was transferred to the German call center.

I'm glad it all worked out!
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:08 am
Original Member

Thanks.

It sounds like that posts from earlier this year concerning OW benefits have been worked out and communicated within AB.

On my last trip, I was able to pre-assign seats in the forward portion of economy cabin (without charge), check-in at J counters, have Fast Track printed on boarding pass, and access AB-operated lounge (in DUS) without any problems.

XL seat assignment seems to be an issue with agents needing to be trained on how to see true exit row availability. Once they see the seat is available, OW Emerald and Sapphire can get these seats free of charge.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
Thanks.

It sounds like that posts from earlier this year concerning OW benefits have been worked out and communicated within AB.

On my last trip, I was able to pre-assign seats in the forward portion of economy cabin (without charge), check-in at J counters, have Fast Track printed on boarding pass, and access AB-operated lounge (in DUS) without any problems.

XL seat assignment seems to be an issue with agents needing to be trained on how to see true exit row availability. Once they see the seat is available, OW Emerald and Sapphire can get these seats free of charge.
No luck getting an XL seat as one world sapphire for jfk-dus. called us service center and german topbonus center.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 3:40 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†

Hang up, try again.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 5:36 am

Programs: AA Plat (OWS), W6 Discount Club, TK Elite (*G), ex-MA Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16
No luck getting an XL seat as one world sapphire for jfk-dus. called us service center and german topbonus center.
You list your status as AA Gold. If that's correct, then you're only OW Ruby. The equivalent to OW Sapphire is AA Plat.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by JnsV
You list your status as AA Gold. If that's correct, then you're only OW Ruby. The equivalent to OW Sapphire is AA Plat.
I know that; my profile is not accurate. I am OW Sapphire (made AA platinum with double miles promo). I just haven't got around to getting it updated.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:21 pm
Original Member

I was able to get XL assign on another flight two weeks ago. Called Germany. This time the agent put me on hold while she got topbonus to assign XL as she indicated she was not able to.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 4:15 pm

I asked on Facebook, was told that they are free. I still have not been able to get them reserved! ugh.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 2:54 am
Original Member

Did you get the AB CSR to confirm your OW status is showing up? Called Germany and ask to be transferred to topbonus even if you didn't redeem using AB miles.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 7:06 pm

Did you get the AB CSR to confirm your OW status is showing up? Called Germany and ask to be transferred to topbonus even if you didn't redeem using AB miles.
Yes, I have spoken with topbonus in germany and my number is showing up. they assure me that it entitles me to choose a seat only, not an xl seat.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 8:33 pm
Original Member

Had to change a reservation today for a flight in FEB and was able to get XL. But AB CSRs are definitely YMMV.

All four attempts within a span of 10 hours with different information provided.

Attempt 1 - Called US line. Agent indicated charge for seat. After I mention OW Saphhire, no charge. Saw no XL avail despite expertflyer saying two were avail.
Attempt 2 - Called US line 5 hours later. Agent saw two XL avail. Agent indicated charge for ALL type of seats even with OW Saphhire. I suggested he double check. Came back and said no charge for regular seat but charge for XL.
Attempt 3 - Called German line. Saw my OW Saphhire and confirmed no charge but didn't see any XL available. expertflyer still showing the same two seats were avail. Asked to be transfer to topbonus as I had to go thru this the last 3 times. I guess she was a little offended when she replied that she worked here for two years and know when a seat is avail and when it is not. Politely agreed with her that it is not avail and I'll call back at a later day.
Attempt 4 - Called German topbonus directly (0049 030 3434 3433 ext 0 for English follow by option 3). Agent saw my OW Sapphire and confirmed no charge. At first she also said XL not avail but then she looked a bit further, placed me on hold, and assigned XL.

I'm sorry to say that compared with AA (and they can be YMMV - last night agent told me AB not part of OW but she did correct herself), AB CSRs needs to have a company wide training on policy.

Last edited by seawolf; Jan 22, 2013 at 7:17 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.