Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

The New Ultimate Seating Thread, version deux

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The New Ultimate Seating Thread, version deux

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2005, 5:10 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
777 seatmap and 74R seatmap are found in About Us, Fleet (rather than the usual place for seating). Hopefully will be fixed soon.
Old Aug 2, 2005, 10:27 pm

And one look at that 772 seatmap begs the question - Why only the 2 rows of U class.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 1:33 am

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite, Sheraton Gold.
and they're squeezed in before the bulkhead wall. How easy will it be to reconfig these at a later date?
Old Aug 3, 2005, 3:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Welcome to FT melbtraveller

I have found the seatmaps on NZ website match those you use at time of booking to select seats. However, NZ is starting to refurbish 747s from mid this year - expecting the first route to operate will be AKL-SFO vv. So its possible the booking system already has updated seatmaps loaded, and you are the first to report that. Nice if it is the newly refurbished - not only new seats but also much improved IFE. See other threads in this forum for more info if you're interested.

Be aware though there are no guarantees - with such a small 747 fleet that is highly utilised, a/c substitution can occur.
I got boned on a schedule change. Had emergency exit rows out and back, they changed flight numbers from 25/24 to 23/22 (same flight times) but lost my seats.

It was a United award, no-one called me about the change. I had to fight just to get two seats together. Bummer.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by zonky
and they're squeezed in before the bulkhead wall. How easy will it be to reconfig these at a later date?
I had thought that they had just installed another bulkhead behind U class - one which was not usually required.

Any enlightenment ?
Old Aug 4, 2005, 6:48 am

Programs: SQ *G, QF S, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Advantage Platinum
Originally Posted by ntddevsys
I had thought that they had just installed another bulkhead behind U class - one which was not usually required.

Any enlightenment ?
It could be so U class can share same toilets as J.

On the 74R - they share the same toilets upstairs.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by Gotta Requalify

Sorry my fault for not making the question clearer.

I know that J and U share the same lav's but as to what zonky said - the seats are not squeezed in before the bulkhead wall - The bulkhead wall at the back has been added in and could easily be moved back to expand the class (of course at great cost to retrospectively do the whole thing).
Old Aug 5, 2005, 2:26 am

Sorry my fault for not making the question clearer.

I know that J and U share the same lav's but as to what zonky said - the seats are not squeezed in before the bulkhead wall - The bulkhead wall at the back has been added in and could easily be moved back to expand the class (of course at great cost to retrospectively do the whole thing).
Granted- but at least it is possible.
Old Aug 6, 2005, 4:02 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Gotta Requalify

The horror of it all
Old Aug 6, 2005, 6:35 pm

This board still hasn't come to a logical conclusion as too why there are so few U class seats, even now after the demand has been demonstrated.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 1:51 am

This board still hasn't come to a logical conclusion as too why there are so few U class seats, even now after the demand has been demonstrated.
My personal view is revenue protection. I imagine they're worried that it will undermine Business Premiere business from corporates (who may suddenly elect to ship their middle-ish execs in Y+ rather than C) on some of the shorter routes....
Old Aug 8, 2005, 8:50 am

Programs: united 1p, usair silver, nz gold, hilton gold, starwood gold
Has anyone flown in the new premium economy seats?

How are they for a twelve hour flight?
Old Aug 10, 2005, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Business Premier Seats

I was lucky to be on NZ6 with Business Premier seats before the 74R switches to NZ7/NZ8.

Essentially, the seats and layout are the same as VS although they are numbered differently. In my view, the forward zone, rows 1-7, are the best. Rows 3-5 are the most desirable, rows 6-7 are more private but row 7 is too close to the galley. Rows 1-2 are too close together and are good for couples only, unless the person on the other side is someone you want to hookup with. The upper deck, rows 16-20, are also nice. You just need to watch your head when someone opens the overhead bin. The rear zone, rows 10-15, feels crowded and should be avoided, especially the Es and Fs. The Es and Fs also seems to have less room near your head, although that's just from the look of it, not from actual measurement. Passengers traveling together should book successive rows with same letter. For example, 3A/4A/5A.

The Premium Economy look similar to domestic US First class seats, only a bit narrower, definitely more comfortable than Economy. It is on the rear of the upper deck and shares the restrooms with Business Premier. The same staff serves both the upper deck Business Premier and Premium Economy passengers. Row 23 has essentially unlimited legroom. ^ The downside is that you could see clearly the people in front of you getting much better seats, food and service. And that would be right on your face for 12 hours.

All in all, a vast improvement over the old First/Business seats. IFE has AVOD selections but buggy. It is based on Windows CE and crashes a lot. After several crashes, they were never able to get mine to work for the last three hours of flight. Yeah, blame it on Bill.

Last edited by TerryK; Aug 10, 2005 at 4:13 am
Old Aug 10, 2005, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA Premier, SPG Gold, HP/US/whatever nothing :-)
The maps are there the maps are there!!!

I just checked the ANZ website and the seatmaps for the refitted 744's and the 777's are there. Yay!!
Old Aug 10, 2005, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by olympicnut
The maps are there the maps are there!!!

I just checked the ANZ website and the seatmaps for the refitted 744's and the 777's are there. Yay!!
As per this post on August 2 by Multi-Sector http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...3&postcount=12

Has anyone else found them too small ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.