Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

The New Ultimate Seating Thread, version deux

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The New Ultimate Seating Thread, version deux

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2005, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the kind words, ryobibob! I hope you have a great trip.

BTW, have added some initial info about the 777 to the thread (page 1) and removed the 767-200 info following ZK-NBA's retirement.
Old Mar 8, 2005, 11:39 pm

Programs: some
Originally Posted by airnzboy

BTW, have added some initial info about the 777 to the thread (page 1) and removed the 767-200 info following ZK-NBA's retirement.
Welcome back.

Thanks for adding the info.
Old Mar 9, 2005, 12:13 am

Can anyone speculate as to why NZ did not make the U class seats just that little bit wider than Y or did not keep that 34" Y pitch ?
Old Mar 9, 2005, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Purely speculation on my part, but I'd be willing to bet it's because the 777 will be used for predominantly lower-yield routes (as compared to the 747 going to LAX, LHR, NRT) and opening up new routes, which again will be predominantly lower yield. Therefore maximising passenger uplift becomes important.

Just a guess, however!
Old Mar 9, 2005, 10:25 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by airnzboy

Thanks airnzboy ^^^
Old Apr 1, 2005, 12:34 pm

Programs: BAEC, QF.
A couple of points;

Kiwi Flyer mentioned extreme condensation on one flight out of SIN; I had a similar experience on a charter flight out of the Maldives a few years ago; so much condensation had collected all along the ceiling, that when the a/c accelerated on take-off, all the water ran backwards along the ceiling, until it came to a small ridge running across from left to right; this threww the condensation off into a veritable waterfall onto the pax beneath! Funny for everybody else.

I also noticed a reference to the AKL-BNE route being serviced by a 744 on occasion; is this an extension of flight NZ1? ie if I'm in PP class next year, it could be all the way to BNE?
Old Apr 1, 2005, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by studyolic
I also noticed a reference to the AKL-BNE route being serviced by a 744 on occasion; is this an extension of flight NZ1? ie if I'm in PP class next year, it could be all the way to BNE?
There will be no NZ P class after June 10 A new product will be in place for next year.

Unfortunatly usually J pax will be seated on the upper deck, sometimes on the lower deck and if necessary then the nose for tasman flights.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 1:35 pm

By PP I meant Premium Pacific; according to the NZ website, the new Premium Pacific seats are all upstairs. (On the 744). I presume any trans-tasman flights on a 744 will be an extension of a long-haul flight, so the seating will be the same?

On the present layout, in Y, (which should stay the same on 744), I see in the OP that the exit row is listed as 25; on the NZ site this is shown as 23? Seems to me that if you have to go Y on a 744 (ie NZ1) then 23 HJK must be the best seats in the house.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by studyolic
By PP I meant Premium Pacific; according to the NZ website, the new Premium Pacific seats are all upstairs. (On the 744). I presume any trans-tasman flights on a 744 will be an extension of a long-haul flight, so the seating will be the same?

On the present layout, in Y, (which should stay the same on 744), I see in the OP that the exit row is listed as 25; on the NZ site this is shown as 23? Seems to me that if you have to go Y on a 744 (ie NZ1) then 23 HJK must be the best seats in the house.
Sorry thought it was a typo. The code for Pacific Premium Class is U. U seating will be the same if they keep the 747 on that route, but it is possible upper deck seating will not be offered when metal is travelling trans-tasman.

If you look up the thread you will see the 25/23 row has already been discussed.
Old Apr 2, 2005, 1:12 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

AFAIK premium economy isnt sold for trans-tasman. However I imagine that it will be like the current situation for F seats trans-tasman - sometimes not used at all and other times allocated based on status and possibly fare.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 8:16 am

Thankyou ntddevsys and KiwiFlyer; the mistake was mine, I did not know that premium economy was graded "U". That would have made my post clearer.

ntddevsys - I could only find one reference to rows 23/25 in Y on 744, by a guy who said he was happy to be in any of those seats, as the stairwell means there is no centre section of four seats, leaving a more private feel to rows 23,24,and 25. I have never flown NZ, nor been in the exit row that far forwards, but looking at the NZ seat map, I was surmising that (if you have to go Y), then row 23 HJK look like good seats because you have massive space infront of you (depending on exactly where the bulkhead is), you have nobody to your left, (stairwell), no toilets nearby, no bassinet points nearby, (well, row 27 in the centre section), and also, if you happen to board early, you don't have 300 passengers walking past your feet on their way to the back. The only potential problems could be;
a. No windows / poor window location
b. Where is that bulkhead?
c. How much foot-room does the window passenger loose due to the escape chute? (Or can he use this as a foot-rest?)

KiwiFlyer - the 744 seems to make the run to BNE according to the OP and also post number 41. I appreciate that this could change with the new system. In the meantime, are you saying that if a long-haul plane does a sort trip, the F and J cabins are sometimes not used?
Old Apr 3, 2005, 1:39 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Yes 744 runs to BNE and MEL from AKL. On these routes, and also to Japan, currently no F is sold. Sometimes F seats are available to business class pax (allocated according to status, and possibly also to those paying F to/from Australia and LAX/SFO/LHR) but sometimes the cabin is just closed off.

When the new config arrives, AFAIK these routes wont sell premium economy. So I presume similar arrangement - seats arent guaranteed to be available but may be allocated according to status.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 7:32 pm

Excellent thread.

I have read a lot of the posts, but, other than the NZ press release, may have missed comments about 747s serving NRT-AKL?

I have booked Mrs FlyerJon a row 11 aisle seat on NZ90 next January.

Is this a good choice?

Is she out of luck for a reconfig?

Thanks
FJ
Old Apr 10, 2005, 7:45 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Looking at the schedule it seems NZ90 is 744 on some days, 763 on others. If you have 744 then row 11 is exit row upper deck (on current config). On the 763, row 11 is economy.

It is unlikely to get a refurbished 744 next Jan on this route, but not impossible with NZ's small fleet (eg due to a/c substitution). The 763's are not being refurbished. I doubt the new 777s (which will be delivered with the new fitout) will serve this route (by next Jan) but I could be wrong.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
It is unlikely to get a refurbished 744 next Jan on this route, but not impossible with NZ's small fleet (eg due to a/c substitution). The 763's are not being refurbished. I doubt the new 777s (which will be delivered with the new fitout) will serve this route (by next Jan) but I could be wrong.
I would disagree with that statement if all goes well with the refit there is a very high chance that she will get a refit [provided travelling on a 747] keeping in mind that NZ will be keeping one 747 with the old interior until disposal Mar 2006.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.