Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

The New Ultimate Seating Thread, version deux

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The New Ultimate Seating Thread, version deux

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2004, 12:45 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

Just to let you know I've added the missing details now, so all the Air NZ fleet is included. (About time too!) I also removed the 733 international configuration, as there are no aircraft left in that config.
Old Jul 27, 2004, 2:00 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Thanks airnzboy - great work!
Old Jul 27, 2004, 11:29 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Thanks Airnzboy ^^^

Wont be long before we are clamouring for details on best/worst seats for the refitted 747s, plane reg and routes available on, etc.

PS Thanks to airnzboy for making this a sticky

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jul 27, 2004 at 5:07 pm
Old Aug 29, 2004, 10:42 pm

Location: Oz, Wales, Fiji. AirNZ Gold Elite, Virgin Australia Platinum, Qantas Gold, Hyatt and IHG Platinum.
Just wanted to add that it's definately row 11 on the 767-200s that has no windows (both 11A and 11K). There's another windowless space between rows 10 and 9, but both of these rows still have one window available.

Cheers, Zac
Old Sep 9, 2004, 12:08 pm

I don't know whether this has been mentioned, but may I suggest...

On the 744 in Economy, I've always been very happy to be seated anywhere in rows 23-25, as these are 'abbreviated' by the centre service unit. In other words, these sections are 3 seats abreast and thus feel much cozier and quieter than the rest of Economy. Also, one can peek into the purser's(?) "office" on the right-hand side, with all of the video equipment and such.

In any case, a 14 hour transpacific can be made so much better in one of these sections.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 8:15 pm

I am flying from LAX - PPT in DEC. Planes are full and I have a choice of 13 JK or some center section seating. Is their any problems with 13JK with lack of reclien as it skips from 13 to 15 on that side of the plane.
Old Sep 10, 2004, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by co_flyer
I am flying from LAX - PPT in DEC. Planes are full and I have a choice of 13 JK or some center section seating. Is their any problems with 13JK with lack of reclien as it skips from 13 to 15 on that side of the plane.
May I be the first to welcome you to FlyerTalk co_flyer,

If you can try to get 15 or 16 J K, AFAIK these seat at one stage where used as crew rest seats and have more space than any others [I believe this is the reason for the skip, but i could be wrong.
Old Oct 15, 2004, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by danielmhd
On the 744 in Economy, I've always been very happy to be seated anywhere in rows 23-25, as these are 'abbreviated' by the centre service unit. In other words, these sections are 3 seats abreast and thus feel much cozier and quieter than the rest of Economy. Also, one can peek into the purser's(?) "office" on the right-hand side, with all of the video equipment and such.

In any case, a 14 hour transpacific can be made so much better in one of these sections.
Greetings, all.

Just a quick question (or 2) regarding the premium economy seats on NZ's 747-400s. NZ's booking engine/seat mapper shows rows 24 through 29 as "premium," but a search of this forum and of the NZ website doesn't really describe the seats. The above-quoted comment is the only thing I've really seen about this section of the plane.

How are these seats different from or better than the rest of the economy seats, besides the fact that they're toward the front? Is there any extra legroom like on United's Economy Plus?

Lastly: I'm a *A Silver (UA Premier, 2P) -- will I be eligible to make a seat reservation in these premium rows?

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 15, 2004, 12:39 pm

Location: Oz, Wales, Fiji. AirNZ Gold Elite, Virgin Australia Platinum, Qantas Gold, Hyatt and IHG Platinum.
Hi cakobau,

The seats are identical to all the other economy seats (so, this isn't an economy plus section or anything), it's just that they are slightly nicer due to the location (as danielmhd mentioned above). Otherwise it's as you said, just that they are further forward, so you usually get served meals first (although meals are occasionally served from the back to even things out), and you're off and on the plane faster.

As a *S frequet flyer you can reserve these seats, just call the AirNZ reservations centre (number is on the website, and remember that seat reservations on NZ are only 99.9% guaranteed ).

Cheers, Zac

P.S. You don't happen to be related to a certain chiefly Fijian family do you?

Last edited by Zaco; Oct 15, 2004 at 12:42 pm
Old Oct 15, 2004, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Thanks, Zac, for the swift reply! Much appreciated. I'll call and request those seats, if only to flex what little status I have...

Originally Posted by Zaco
P.S. You don't happen to be related to a certain chiefly Fijian family do you?
Sadly, no, but that is the inspiration. You're the first person to ever ask me on Flyertalk... I learned the tales of Cakobau on a 1994 trip to Fiji. Which included your home base of Taveuni for several days!

Thanks again.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 12:46 pm

Being 10 years ago, the trip must have made a lasting impression! Fiji is still pretty much the same, although Taveuni has changed slightly (we now have a tar sealed road from the airport to Somosomo village and a new hospital at Waiyevo). Hope you have a good trip on NZ!

Cheers, Zac
Old Nov 1, 2004, 8:59 am

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite, Sheraton Gold.
re: Certain rows can only be assigned to Star Alliance Gold or Silver members.

We're lowly Airpoints (jade?) members, but were given 1DEF when requesting 'right hand side, near the front' on WLG-CHC connecting flight (we're connecting to CHC-LAX flying business class)- obviously the business sector had some influence, but perhaps the rules are not as hard and fast...

Last edited by zonky; Nov 1, 2004 at 9:07 am
Old Nov 1, 2004, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by zonky
We're lowly Airpoints (jade?) members, but were given 1DEF when requesting 'right hand side, near the front' on WLG-CHC connecting flight (we're connecting to CHC-LAX flying business class)- obviously the business sector had some influence, but perhaps the rules are not as hard and fast...
Well as you are connecting to Business Class I would hope that you would get seats in the front row on your connections. Standard Practice.
Old Nov 8, 2004, 6:32 pm

Programs: NZ
767-300er rows 15/16jk

Originally Posted by ntddevsys
May I be the first to welcome you to FlyerTalk co_flyer,

If you can try to get 15 or 16 J K, AFAIK these seat at one stage where used as crew rest seats and have more space than any others [I believe this is the reason for the skip, but i could be wrong.
Just to let you know on all Long haul flights operated by this aircraft these seats are used as crew rest for the cabin crew and are partitioned off so can not be allocated to passengers..

On most Pacific island services this is also the case and they are left for cabin crew rest. This is especially the case on most Rarotonga , Tahiti ,Tonga and Samoa services. Also if the flights original destination or origin was Los Angeles eg flight goes auckland-papeete-LA rest will be left on the akl-ppt sector unless this sector is full .The seats are also usually unavailable if the aircraft will be stopping at more than one pacific island or is operating a night flight...

On Trans tasman flights quite often they are also blocked off unless the flight is full as it takes engineers to remove and put up the panels ...

Last edited by richkiwi; Nov 8, 2004 at 6:35 pm
Old Nov 26, 2004, 11:15 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
First Class seats...

So I've seen the wonderful guide at the beginning of this thread, but I don't see a definitive answer to my question:

We are travelling AKL-SFO in January on a Star Award ticket in First Class. I see there are 3 rows of seats and I need to make a request for seats. Recommendations for 2 of us? I don't think we'd like to be in Row 3 close to the galley. Does Row 1 have any room for luggage storage that isn't in the overhead? Or should we just go with Row 2? Thanks for the input!

-Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.