Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Menus and meals 2022-2023

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2022, 10:18 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
I flew the Air NZ 787 SYD-AKL last week. Flight was completely full in all classes. Crew were busy and fairly chatty - a nice environment.
I chose the snapper from the menu - fancied something lighter. Doll's house portions magnified by the full size cutlery. Fairly tasty but my sources indicate that the catering companies are struggling to source chefs to be able to offer the full range of meals.
There is a washed out asparagus stalk in amongst the leaves but not sure where the pesto was hiding.

I had the same thing a couple of weeks ago. It was decidedly ordinary. The fish was OK, the asparagus was not worth eating, my feeling was that the pesto was coating the potatoes.
The icecream was good, and my wife enjoyed the panna cotta. We had the two entrees and they were ok.
The 2016 Burn Cottage Pinot Noir was the highlight.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by edmm
I had the same thing a couple of weeks ago. It was decidedly ordinary. The fish was OK, the asparagus was not worth eating, my feeling was that the pesto was coating the potatoes.
The icecream was good, and my wife enjoyed the panna cotta. We had the two entrees and they were ok.
Good info for when I fly AKL-SYD in BP in a couple of weeks. Was this NZ103 at 0900?
Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:47 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Good info for when I fly AKL-SYD in BP in a couple of weeks. Was this NZ103 at 0900?
This is SYD - AKL which serves lunch.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by sbiddle
This is SYD - AKL which serves lunch.
Thanks for that. I’ll be sure to compare with the ‘breakfast’ options that are presumably offered AKL-SYD.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 5:35 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Any intel on wines currently being served in BP?

Interesting to see various menus being posted but given the lack of printed wine lists its always harder to get a sense of what the wine options are, especially on long haul.

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Good to see the post 9am departures to Australia in Y are now lunch and not breakfast.

Well that was the case today in NZ141 AKL-BNE which is an 9:30am departure.
Is NZ103 AKL-SYD at 0900 still a breakfast flight? From memory, I'm fairly sure it always has been...

Originally Posted by robbau
I've never been upfront on another carrier, however I read and watch plenty of reviews.

It appears (to me) that AIRNZ's business catering is far below the standard of other high-end airlines, such as SQ, Cathay, Emirates and maybe even Qantas.

Plating, presentation, go-to offerings (such as SQ satay sticks), "book the cook" offerings and even champagne options seem to be below the premium fares that are required for travel on AIRNZ.

Happy to be corrected on this, if my view is unwarranted.

Thanks
I think your first mistake is to think of AirNZ as a "high end airline". There was a time when it was, but it's decidedly middle of the road these days (but elevated by generally lovely cabin crew and a fairly attentive elite program). Once you stop thinking of NZ as high end, the catering then becomes pretty much what you'd expect - generally higher quality and more interesting flavours than the American carriers (but smaller portions); wines always respectable (though far below the quality they once were); and very little variation from season to season or indeed year to year.

QF is an interesting point of comparison, though... their food has taken a real dive (certainly in terms of quantity) over the last few years too. My sense is that NZ moved more or less in lockstep with them. If QF suddenly lifts its game again perhaps NZ will too.

Originally Posted by samjnz
But miles ahead of what United are serving these days in Polaris!

There was a time their meal service was more upmarket than NZ (2016-2018ish period) but those days are long gone now.
I can confirm this is definitely the case. UA's food is back to being awful. The only good United food to be found is in the Polaris lounges (which is where I shall be eating prior to NZ3 in a couple of months' time!).

Originally Posted by edmm
Oooh good to hear that they had Burn Cottage on board. Can anyone else share info about what wine is being served at the moment (besides the Laurent Perrier champagne, as confirmed here by Thai-Kiwi )? On long-haul do they still pretend to have that special fines wines program where they listed a few extra special bottles, one of which was supposed to be on board (can't remember what it was called - I just know that whenever I flew and enquired about it, the answer was always "the caterer forgot to load it")?
Old Jul 18, 2022, 6:11 pm

Trans-tasman CHC <--> MEL breakfast options
  1. Chicken sausage with scrambled eggs
  2. Pancakes
Both come with yoghurt and fruit salad.
Old Jul 18, 2022, 9:11 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, BA, UA, QF..
I find ANZ meals to be average to awful. I’m not vegetarian - I just don’t eat meat and an increasing percentage of people are doing the same or only eat plant-based food. It’s long overdue for ANZ to mainstream those diets and stop serving “beef or chicken”. And also move towards more snack / sandwich-sized meal options. if BA can manage both of these things and do it well, than anyone can..
Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:57 am

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by codyc1515
Trans-tasman CHC <--> MEL breakfast options
  1. Chicken sausage with scrambled eggs
  2. Pancakes
Both come with yoghurt and fruit salad.
I was on the MEL-CHC flight yesterday and had the Sausage and egg....I had just come from an EY flight ex. AUH and had the same breakfast on their flight a few hours prior - not only was it larger, but the quality was so much better than NZ's. Incidentally, the other EY option was a hot cinnamon roll which also looked really good.
codyc1515 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2022, 9:23 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
I flew NZ5 from LAX to AKL earlier this month.

Old Jul 28, 2022, 5:41 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Thanks for sharing, valdor . Did you happen to notice what wines were on offer? And how did you find the food?
Old Jul 28, 2022, 11:58 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by mad_atta
Thanks for sharing, valdor . Did you happen to notice what wines were on offer? And how did you find the food?
I had a Sauvignon Blanc, but do not remember the name (or what the other options were). I'm flying to SIN next week from AKL on NZ282, I'll ask what the wine selection is and report back.

As for the food, it was a bit disappointing. It tasted fine but was not the premium dining experience I was expecting either.
mad_atta likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Two flights in J over last two weeks, both had Tohu Mugwi Sauvignon Blanc (barrel ferment) and Rockburn Pinot Noir.

Also a Chard, PG and Syrah option, but can’t recall what were sorry
mad_atta likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by SDB22
Two flights in J over last two weeks, both had Tohu Mugwi Sauvignon Blanc (barrel ferment) and Rockburn Pinot Noir.

Also a Chard, PG and Syrah option, but can’t recall what were sorry
Interesting, thanks. I haven't tried that variant of Tohu but based on reviews it sounds like a good and interesting alternative to run of the mill sav. Meanwhile Rockburn is a reliably good pinot.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 10:22 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Ambassador
Any ideas when menus might change up? August is upon us ...
Old Jul 31, 2022, 4:44 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
NZ141 AKL-BNE seems to be back to a breakfast service in Y.

Two hot choices now, which I guess is an improvement.

- Classic Tasman eggs option
- Or Hot Cakes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.