Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are meals no longer served on Air NZ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Just because it's the same price doesn't mean the fare classes align. NZ entry level pricing for seat and seat+bag are below QF pricing, and for each category they're cheaper.

Obviously airlines sell different numbers of seats at different fare codes and have different load levels (I know NZ has higher load levels than QF ex WLG for example) so you're always going to have examples of QF being the same price (or even cheaper) than NZ.
I've noticed even the QF/EK flights e.g. sale or saver have been cheaper than a lot of seat + bag fares recently on NZ although as you say it may be that NZ has sold more of the lower fare buckets (but then again my EK flight was very full and only booked a couple of weeks out), but you still get a meal with these lower fares. The QF morning brekky's have been scarey. The baked beans run into the sausage/egg/hash brown or whatever else is in there.

I find the QF evening meals significantly better than their breakfast Y meals. NZ I always buy seat + bag. I would do so on QF if offered also.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly

I find the QF evening meals significantly better than their breakfast Y meals. NZ I always buy seat + bag. I would do so on QF if offered also.
I think it help that we've been so lucky with food in the NZ lounge, it makes it's more of an option to just go seat+bag.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
I think it help that we've been so lucky with food in the NZ lounge, it makes it's more of an option to just go seat+bag.
Perhaps a cunning plan to encourage S or S+B flyers to buy KC membership...
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Perhaps a cunning plan to encourage S or S+B flyers to buy KC membership...
its not an bad it you make two return trips a year to Aussie in Seat Only.

If you take the creditcard rate which is about $400/year that's only $50/per flight. The Works is typically $50 more than seat only.

The $50/flight on Koru is better value than the Works.

- Freequent Flyer Seating
- Preiume Check-In
- Loung Access
- Pirority Boarding (a key to success with carry-on on the a320)
Old Jan 21, 2017, 3:36 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Your maths is off - 2 return trips is 4 flights.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
How does the meal work then onboard? You can choose a meal from the menu?or is it just one-option hot dish tray for everyone that booked the Works. If people are paying for these services, they will expect a choice. Curious what to expect on my SYD-AKL lunch flight now.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Two meal options and crew announce these on board.

I would never pay for the works now - in fact I think apart from a time somebody else booked flights I've never had it since they launched S2S. I see absolutely no point.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Two meal options and crew announce these on board.

I would never pay for the works now - in fact I think apart from a time somebody else booked flights I've never had it since they launched S2S. I see absolutely no point.
I never pay for Works now either - even though company policy is to book Works.

I use the lounges either end for food; and am not bothered about movie access - happy with TV access if I get bored.

That said I have not done a 6 hour flight without onboard catering; am about to tackel PER-AKl (overnight), will see how that goes without food. I always carry food with me anyhow, after one of my early United flights I took coudn't heat the chicken and half the plane went without food.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Are they generous with wine refills at least?
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:30 pm

Yes in my opinion they are. On my recent AKL-SYD and SYD-AKL I recall the staff going through the plane at least twice for extra drinks.

I.e. One initial glass of wine + two chances for refills.

It's interesting to see others say that the Works is not worth it.
I don't get lounge access so I always buy food at the airport. It's not cheap either - usually a sandwich will cost something like $10.
Then with the Works you also get free seat selection - which would otherwise cost $10 if you didn't pay the Works.
So actually it makes more sense for me to get the Works - since you also get free orders of drinks during the flight too...
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by curioustill
Yes in my opinion they are. On my recent AKL-SYD and SYD-AKL I recall the staff going through the plane at least twice for extra drinks.

I.e. One initial glass of wine + two chances for refills.

It's interesting to see others say that the Works is not worth it.
I don't get lounge access so I always buy food at the airport. It's not cheap either - usually a sandwich will cost something like $10.
Then with the Works you also get free seat selection - which would otherwise cost $10 if you didn't pay the Works.
So actually it makes more sense for me to get the Works - since you also get free orders of drinks during the flight too...
agree: if you dont have status (food and wine in lounge, seat selection) then Works becomes a more attractive option
Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:06 am

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Are they generous with wine refills at least?
I haven’t been in Y internationally for some years but certainly in PE or J you are able to order via IFE menu for a significant part of the flight - you don’t have to wait for them to ask for a drinks order - I would be surprised if this doesn’t also apply to the Works product.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: NZ G, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by drajknox

I haven’t been in Y internationally for some years but certainly in PE or J you are able to order via IFE menu for a significant part of the flight - you don’t have to wait for them to ask for a drinks order - I would be surprised if this doesn’t also apply to the Works product.
IME they turn off the ordering system - it normally says "Not available at this time" for a large part of the flight (if it is turned on at all).

You can get good crews (where it flows freely) and poor ones (who make up rules like "there is a limit of two drinks").

Inconsistency of service, application of rules and unwritten rules are the biggest bugbear for me.
Bub001 likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:41 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by curioustill
I've always wondered how people can cope with no meal between Auckland and Honolulu for about 9 hours. I recently flew with Hawaiian Airlines there, we were given two meals and I still felt quite hungry!
Not that hard. Eat before getting on plane.

I just finished a 16 hour flight. They served one meal, a pretty heavy snack mid way and then breakfast. I could only eat the first meal, and passed on the other 2. It's not like I am a light eater normally, but sitting on a plane and not moving a muscle does not really make me work up an appetite.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 5:41 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I usually order Works for the evening departures from SYD to AKL/WLG/CHC - it may not be a long flight, but it's right on mealtime and I'm usually hustling to get there straight from work so I don't like the pressure of trying to stuff down a full meal in the lounge beforehand. Since I also usually watch a movie and have several drinks onboard, it works fairly well for me. However what really does annoy me is the reduced quality of the food (and, to a lesser extent, the wine) - since I'm actively electing to pay for it, there's no excuse for the quality not to be better. Everything has just got stingier, right down to the pathetic brownies they sometimes hand out for dessert (though recently the Kapiti ice cream seems to have made a welcome comeback).

If I'm travelling the Tasman at a non-mealtime, I'm more likely to book Seat or Seat+Bag, and will sometimes pay for a drink or movies onboard. I do actually like having the choice of what option to pay for, provided the cost:benefit ratio is properly aligned (ie: they make a bit more effort with the food I'm choosing to pay for). You can indeed order snacks and drinks via the IFE, whether on Works fare (in which case the booze is free) or Seat/Seat+Bag (when you of course have to pay), however this function is only activated after they have finished the food/drinks run for the Works passengers. On an eastbound Tasman flight, that can leave fairly little time, so you need to move quickly once the notification comes through the IFE that onscreen ordering has been enabled.

I few QF trans-Tasman in Y for the first time in ages recently, as it was one of the occasions when they were a fair bit cheaper than NZ. Although the quality of the food was higher on QF, the overall experience on NZ's A320s is preferable to QF's B738s: NZ's seats are wider, more comfortable, and the extra legroom of Space+ makes all the difference for me, plus NZ's IFE system and screens feel about a decade newer. I also really don't care for QF's international business lounge in SYD, which is a bizarrely poor offering for their global hub.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.