Are meals no longer served on Air NZ?

Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Question Are meals no longer served on Air NZ?

On my award ticket issued by UA, I'm seeing:
NZ162
Perth, WA, AU (PER)-
Christchurch, NZ (CHC) Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner

Fare Class: Economy (X)

Meals: None Flight Time: 6 hr 10 mn

It also states no meals on:
NZ542 (CHC-AKL)
NZ5654 (ZQN-CHC)
NZ891 (CHC-MEL)

Is it true that meals are no longer complimentary on all of the aforementioned flights?

I also purchased a AKL-ZQN ticket that includes seat + 1 23kg check-in bag directly from Airnz's New Zealand website. Are meals included in this ticket?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:18 am

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
No Air NZ domestic flights have meals or catering.
Can not comment on your Perth flight.
Safe flying. WLGNZ
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:28 am

No meals on domestic flights, only tea or coffee and bag of crisps or a cookie.

on your PER-CHC looks like your award ticket is for a seat and bag only. they operate Seats to Suit on trans tasman flights where you can purchase a seat only (and 7kg cabin bag) seat+bag (no movies but tv series), the works (seat+bag+meal+movies)
https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/the-tasman-experience
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Typically Awards are booked into 'The Works' product, best way to check is to call NZ.

As an general rule all Intl flights under 10hours meals aren't included in the base fare, has been like this since 2010.

All Domestic meals we're removed in 2001.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
This is a UA coding issue. Been like this as long as I can recall
mikeyf likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by hightide
On my award ticket issued by UA, I'm seeing:
NZ162
Perth, WA, AU (PER)-
Christchurch, NZ (CHC) Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner

Fare Class: Economy (X)
You'll need to find-out from either UA or NZ what you're fare class in booked into, the X class on you're UA ticket will be linked to an NZ booking class.

On the Tasman X on NZ is XBAGN (Seat+Bag), although likely UA Rewards aren't directly linked to this fare class.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by jswong
This is a UA coding issue. Been like this as long as I can recall
Also because NZ Publishes to the GDS that these flights don't include meals, as GDS don't support displaying there might only be meals for some fare types.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:47 pm

As an general rule all Intl flights under 10hours meals aren't included in the base fare, has been like this since 2010.
I've always wondered how people can cope with no meal between Auckland and Honolulu for about 9 hours. I recently flew with Hawaiian Airlines there, we were given two meals and I still felt quite hungry!
Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by curioustill
I've always wondered how people can cope with no meal between Auckland and Honolulu for about 9 hours. I recently flew with Hawaiian Airlines there, we were given two meals and I still felt quite hungry!
Essay if you have lounge access, with the flight now being an 20:55 departure, and 0630 am arrival into HNL.

Have dinner in the Lounge, then sleep. Then just take an couple of snacks with you for breakkie.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by azdsgnr
No meals on domestic flights, only tea or coffee and bag of crisps or a cookie.
Or fudge! Sometimes, if you are lucky...
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Typically Awards are booked into 'The Works' product, best way to check is to call NZ.

All Domestic meals we're removed in 2001.
I did try calling Air NZ but they did not know any better. The Air NZ rep suggested me to call UA
Old Jan 9, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
If it's on a UA ticket you'll have a Works fare, contrary to what the UA site says - have flown a bunch of these and always end up getting fed.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
A SIX HOUR INTL FLIGHT and no meal included? jesus. Air NZ might as well be a discount carrier these days. might as well fly Jetstar/Tigerair
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
A SIX HOUR INTL FLIGHT and no meal included? jesus. Air NZ might as well be a discount carrier these days. might as well fly Jetstar/Tigerair
NZ pretty much is an LCC on Short/Medium Hall services, and there fares in those markets are priced the same as an LCC.

They have 4 Y product levels on these services
Seat Only
Seat + Bag
The Works (Includes: Meals,Drinks,Bags,Movies)
Works Deluxe *320/767 services only
Old Jan 9, 2017, 6:08 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by keitherson
It's only no meal if you choose to save money and buy a fare with no meal. If you want a meal you buy a fare that includes it. Seat only and Seat+Bag are priced to compete with JQ and are cheaper than QF. Works pricing (which includes a meal) basically aligns with QF.

I haven't heard an exact figure for some time but a couple of years ago meals on S2S routes sat at under 40% of pax for TT and short haul services to the Islands but significantly higher for HNL and DPS.

I don't think I've even bothered with a meal since they launched S2S on TT routes, there is no need for a 2 1/2 - 4 hr flight depending on destination.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.