Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are meals no longer served on Air NZ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
It's only no meal if you choose to save money and buy a fare with no meal. If you want a meal you buy a fare that includes it. Seat only and Seat+Bag are priced to compete with JQ and are cheaper than QF. Works pricing (which includes a meal) basically aligns with QF.
Agreed!

It's funny how people incorrectly take the approach of "with airline X you have a meal included and don't have to pay for it, but with Air NZ you have to pay for the meal". With EVERY airline, you have to pay for the meal in some way, shape or form. As sbiddle has mentioned, with Air NZ however, if you don't want to pay for it, you have that option available.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by samyoull
If it's on a UA ticket you'll have a Works fare, contrary to what the UA site says - have flown a bunch of these and always end up getting fed.

Thanks for confirming -- I suppose this means the short haul CHC-MEL would be a Works fare as well.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 11:09 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by hightide
Thanks for confirming -- I suppose this means the short haul CHC-MEL would be a Works fare as well.
Yes on a UA economy award.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by AviationNZ
Agreed!

It's funny how people incorrectly take the approach of "with airline X you have a meal included and don't have to pay for it, but with Air NZ you have to pay for the meal". With EVERY airline, you have to pay for the meal in some way, shape or form. As sbiddle has mentioned, with Air NZ however, if you don't want to pay for it, you have that option available.
I think it's a message Air NZ have always struggled with.

QF advertise that every flight includes a meal, baggage allowance and IFE. I see and hear comments from people regularly about how "I had to pay extra for a meal on Air NZ so I may as well fly Qantas next time so I can get it for free" which ignores the fact that that fares aren't aligned.

I would never pay for a meal TT because I see absolutely no point when there is far better food in the lounge at both ends.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:02 pm

I would never pay for a meal TT because I see absolutely no point when there is far better food in the lounge at both ends.
Or with the "6am" departures can be in a CBD cafe at the other end by brunchtime.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:16 am

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
Similar situation

I'm flying PER-AKL on NZ28 in "X" booked via AC. Maybe best to tweet to NZ and find out.

Also flying AKL-IAH and I would assume meals are served on that one.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by flying chef
Also flying AKL-IAH and I would assume meals are served on that one.
Correct Long Haul services still included meals for all passengers at this stage
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Originally Posted by flying chef
I'm flying PER-AKL on NZ28 in "X" booked via AC. Maybe best to tweet to NZ and find out.\
S2S fares can only be issued on NZ/VA stock, you'll get a meal.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by samyoull
S2S fares can only be issued on NZ/VA stock, you'll get a meal.
Interesting. The resources I have here say that this would be a Seat (+Bag) fare. I'm curious to see the response from NZ.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
I think it's a message Air NZ have always struggled with.

QF advertise that every flight includes a meal, baggage allowance and IFE. I see and hear comments from people regularly about how "I had to pay extra for a meal on Air NZ so I may as well fly Qantas next time so I can get it for free" which ignores the fact that that fares aren't aligned.

At least when I've needed to book TT, QF is typically the same price with the meal/bag inclusions, and often cheaper.

This is similar to the problem with Smart Saver fares of the past (no airbucks/status points) that pushed me to start flying QF to begin with: weekly TT travel, price was identical between NZ/QF, but QF would credit miles/SCs and NZ wouldn't. Guess which NZ*E that didn't even have a QF account started flying QF (and then kept flying QF)?

NZ's S2S functionality is about increasing revenue (much like UA's), not about "giving customers choice" or reducing fares -- which is why they have issues marketing it, and why people are beginning to see through it.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
I do TT runs regularly and find QF is the same price when booked ahead. As my travel is often short notice I end up with a pool of NZ SP that are can't be used as I have already banked
Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:53 pm

Just because it's the same price doesn't mean the fare classes align. NZ entry level pricing for seat and seat+bag are below QF pricing, and for each category they're cheaper.

Obviously airlines sell different numbers of seats at different fare codes and have different load levels (I know NZ has higher load levels than QF ex WLG for example) so you're always going to have examples of QF being the same price (or even cheaper) than NZ.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by ajnz
This is similar to the problem with Smart Saver fares of the past (no airbucks/status points) that pushed me to start flying QF to begin with: weekly TT travel, price was identical between NZ/QF, but QF would credit miles/SCs and NZ wouldn't. Guess which NZ*E that didn't even have a QF account started flying QF (and then kept flying QF)?
I don't ever recall a time where Smart Saver fares had no SP earn. Yes APD and SPD earn is truly terrible on low cost TT fares, but earn is still there.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 6:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
When seats to suit was first introduced there was nil earning on the lowest fares.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
When seats to suit was first introduced there was nil earning on the lowest fares.
That is correct. And then they decided on one of their self-congratulatory campaigns "Every fare earns APD" . And SP at some point. Somewhat reminiscent of the old carnival cry "everyone wins a prize".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.