Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Final Check In time

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2013, 12:20 am

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by sbiddle
One thing to be aware of not checking in and using mPass at the gate is that you could be bumped if you haven't checked in or visited Koru and the flight is full. Ironically this situation would be more likely to happen to frequent flyers as they're typicvally the ones who would use mPass at the gate. I've heard of it happening to a couple of friends now.

A prior flight had been cancelled in both cases and 30 mins out they then filled the non checked in seats with passengers from the cancelled flights. In both cases the only warning was getting to the gate with mPass and finding the seat had been cancelled.
The FTer in me is curious to know what compensation was offered
Old May 5, 2013, 4:50 am

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite, Qantas Platinum
Originally Posted by brenrox
This exact thing happened to a friend of mine. Got to the airport about 25 minutes out (Auckland to Wellington flight); didn't bother with Koru; went to board the flight with mPass; to be told that he was not on the flight. Queried why; was told that he had not checked in. Explained the entire point of the mPass system and was given a rude brush-off and told he wasn't on the flight and there was nothing she could do about it. Went to the Koru lounge and was re-booked on a later flight (although meant missing a bunch of meetings etc) to much apologies from the Koru crew.

Quite rightly he was furious about it so queried with AirNZ. Very sorry etc; was a mistake. Turns out a earlier flight was cancelled and as he hadn't shown up at the airport yet, they put whole bunch of flight-cancelled people on his flight; bumping him (a GE) off the flight.

Compensation offered was 500 APD from memory - pretty good I thought! No doubt the compensation varies on the loyalty level...
Old May 5, 2013, 8:18 am

Programs: Airnz Elite
bumped off a flight

Originally Posted by newtestleper
This exact thing happened to a friend of mine. Got to the airport about 25 minutes out (Auckland to Wellington flight); didn't bother with Koru; went to board the flight with mPass; to be told that he was not on the flight. Queried why; was told that he had not checked in. Explained the entire point of the mPass system and was given a rude brush-off and told he wasn't on the flight and there was nothing she could do about it. Went to the Koru lounge and was re-booked on a later flight (although meant missing a bunch of meetings etc) to much apologies from the Koru crew.

Quite rightly he was furious about it so queried with AirNZ. Very sorry etc; was a mistake. Turns out a earlier flight was cancelled and as he hadn't shown up at the airport yet, they put whole bunch of flight-cancelled people on his flight; bumping him (a GE) off the flight.

Compensation offered was 500 APD from memory - pretty good I thought! No doubt the compensation varies on the loyalty level...
I can imagine this would not be too common as most travellers would enter the koru lounge first
(So compensation would be even rarer)
Old May 5, 2013, 8:41 am

Programs: VA, SQ, IHG, HH,ALL, Europcar
To be honest - check in time is check in time, it is there so the flight can get away on time, and after the cut off the paper work and the calcuations are done.

In New Zealand out of the main centres - the traffic is not that bad - the distances not that great - so what is the underlying reason for not arriving on time.

NOT leaving home on time and building in an amount of time for any delays that might occur.

I live in Western Sydney - I have to allow 3 hours for the journey from home to the city or eastern suburbs in case it takes that long (it can) for a journey that can sometimes take 40 minutes.

It is just called planning for life .......

WAK to TRG and Foxton to PMR are not great distances.

If your normal trip takes 30 minutes I would be leaving at 60 minutes so that you have time for a delay and a long line up at the airport, if everything flows you will have time for a relax and a coffee
Old May 5, 2013, 9:29 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Originally Posted by adampenrith
To be honest - check in time is check in time, it is there so the flight can get away on time, and after the cut off the paper work and the calcuations are done.

In New Zealand out of the main centres - the traffic is not that bad - the distances not that great - so what is the underlying reason for not arriving on time.

NOT leaving home on time and building in an amount of time for any delays that might occur.

I live in Western Sydney - I have to allow 3 hours for the journey from home to the city or eastern suburbs in case it takes that long (it can) for a journey that can sometimes take 40 minutes.

If your normal trip takes 30 minutes I would be leaving at 60 minutes so that you have time for a delay and a long line up at the airport, if everything flows you will have time for a relax and a coffee
Exactly. Simply poor planning by the OP and his grandparents. No excuses.
Old May 5, 2013, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints SILVER, KC
Originally Posted by Wan1dap
Exactly. Simply poor planning by the OP and his grandparents. No excuses.
Get off it mate. I allow 1.5hrs from Matata to Tauranga. I fly once a week. The roadworks on the Tauranga Eastern Arterial Route are very unpredictable! First time I have nearly missed a flight. And HOW is it poor planing when Air NZ offer this as another check in option. Grandparents were late, they admit it, but again. check in at the Gate using Mpass ect is allowed. I rang Air NZ to confirm this. My grandparents still would have made the original flight had they known about this method of check in or if Air NZ were not so gready and lazy!!!
Old May 5, 2013, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

so you tell me why Air NZ offer this method of checking in directly at the gate, when you mention check in time is check in time??????????????
Old May 5, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
On your ticket, it clearly states that if you traveling without checked bags, you can avoid check-in and just present your e-ticket at the gate during boarding.

NZ does most of its paper work at last minute, on the props its it digital with the crew all PDA devices that wireless receive the information. On the 737/320 it is printed off once the last passenger is board, they print outs are the same as a supermarket receipt.
Old May 5, 2013, 6:58 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by brenrox
In one case none. Also missed the next flight as people from the earlier cancelled flight had priority. I'm guessing in this situation if you had status you may get priority over these people. In the other case I'm not sure if compensation was given.

There mere fact this can happen means I always grab a boarding pass from the kiosk even if I don't have a bag.
Old May 5, 2013, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Originally Posted by FullyIntoNewZealand
The roadworks on the Tauranga Eastern Arterial Route are very unpredictable!
I'll just repeat - poor planning. You knew this but still chose not to alter your trip plan. I don't see how anyone else is to blame, do you?
Old May 5, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum

This morning my grandparents turned up at PMR airport to fly up to AKL. They live at Foxton and arrived at the airport 15 minutes before departure with carry on luggage only. The check in staff said check in was closed. They are only Jade APs. Boarding for their flight had not even commenced, yet they were not aloud to check in. They had to fork out an extra $360 each for the next flight. Has any one else had a similar experience?
According to Air NZ website the "official" rule is the following from the FAQs about when to check in

If you don't have any bags to check-in, you'll be able to go straight to the gate no later than 15 minutes prior to your departure time, scan your boarding pass and board your flight. All 26 of our domestic terminals now have scanners at the gate, so you can go straight to the gate if you're travelling without bags and have your travel documents with you.

So I guess the question in terms of a complaint letter and hopefully a refund of the extra $360 is whether it was in fact 15 minutes prior or was less than that. Have you established what time exactly they went to the counter?
Old May 5, 2013, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oranjemakker
According to Air NZ website the "official" rule is the following from the FAQs about when to check in

If you don't have any bags to check-in, you'll be able to go straight to the gate no later than 15 minutes prior to your departure time, scan your boarding pass and board your flight. All 26 of our domestic terminals now have scanners at the gate, so you can go straight to the gate if you're travelling without bags and have your travel documents with you.

So I guess the question in terms of a complaint letter and hopefully a refund of the extra $360 is whether it was in fact 15 minutes prior or was less than that. Have you established what time exactly they went to the counter?
17 minutes prior to departure. Air NZ are now investigating the case and have in advance offered sincere apologies and are looking into a refund. Will keep everyone posted :-)
Old May 5, 2013, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Where I live to TRG is 45mins with roadworks. I allowed an EXTRA 45mins to counter balance and extra delays
Old May 5, 2013, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wan1dap
I'll just repeat - poor planning. You knew this but still chose not to alter your trip plan. I don't see how anyone else is to blame, do you?
Yep I did know this, and allowed an extra 45minutes. Not everyday there is a Car Accident. Who was I blaming on original post?? I stated that NZ let me board my flight. No Blame there mate, dont know what part you are reading!. Bet your no saint when it comes to getting to the airport on time!!!!! In the case of my Grandparents, they admit they were late. In the OP I was asking whether anyone had had a similiar experience. No blame there at all MATE.. Anything Else???????
Old May 5, 2013, 10:08 pm
Suspended

Yep I did know this, and allowed an extra 45minutes. Not everyday there is a Car Accident. Who was I blaming on original post?? I stated that NZ let me board my flight. No Blame there mate, dont know what part you are reading!. Bet your no saint when it comes to getting to the airport on time!!!!! In the case of my Grandparents, they admit they were late. In the OP I was asking whether anyone had had a similiar experience. No blame there at all MATE.. Anything Else???????
I don't think "mate" is an appropriate term of reference in this context. Please refrain from using it. Also I'd be interested to know how you have knowledge of my trip planning regime for airport departures. Aside from that I believe you have now accepted accountability for the close call, which is all that was needed. Well done.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.