Final Check In time

Old May 3, 2013, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air New Zealand Airpoints SILVER, KC
Final Check In time

I flew from TRG to WLG the other day. I left Whakatane on time, but roadworks and traffic severely delayed me. I arrived at the airport 20minutes before departure, with two bags to check in. It clearly states on the website and on E Tickets, that final bag drop time is 30 minutes before departure and with Carry on, 20 minutes before departure.

Inside the terminal the Check In staff told me that it was too late, check in was closed. However, They saw from my booking I was Gold Airpoints and immediately they became understanding and checked me in.

This morning my grandparents turned up at PMR airport to fly up to AKL. They live at Foxton and arrived at the airport 15 minutes before departure with carry on luggage only. The check in staff said check in was closed. They are only Jade APs. Boarding for their flight had not even commenced, yet they were not aloud to check in. They had to fork out an extra $360 each for the next flight. Has any one else had a similar experience?
Old May 3, 2013, 8:12 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by FullyIntoNewZealand
I flew from TRG to WLG the other day. I left Whakatane on time, but roadworks and traffic severely delayed me. I arrived at the airport 20minutes before departure, with two bags to check in. It clearly states on the website and on E Tickets, that final bag drop time is 30 minutes before departure and with Carry on, 20 minutes before departure.

Inside the terminal the Check In staff told me that it was too late, check in was closed. However, They saw from my booking I was Gold Airpoints and immediately they became understanding and checked me in.

This morning my grandparents turned up at PMR airport to fly up to AKL. They live at Foxton and arrived at the airport 15 minutes before departure with carry on luggage only. The check in staff said check in was closed. They are only Jade APs. Boarding for their flight had not even commenced, yet they were not aloud to check in. They had to fork out an extra $360 each for the next flight. Has any one else had a similar experience?
A few years ago as Jade I had the same issue as your grandparents, but thankfully I had an e-ticket print out that I could use as my BP and I made the flight. If your grandparents had an e-pass/m-pass or e-ticket they should have been able to use that as their BP?

It does seem very poor and Jetstaresque that they couldn't simply re-print a new BP for your grandparents since they are technically checked in already. I'm sure the gate attendant could even do it manually and simply give them a print out like you get when you use an e-pass/m-pass; i'm sure it's a daily occurance that atleast 1 pax loses their BP between check-in and the gate and that this would be the response
Old May 3, 2013, 10:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brenrox
A few years ago as Jade I had the same issue as your grandparents, but thankfully I had an e-ticket print out that I could use as my BP and I made the flight. If your grandparents had an e-pass/m-pass or e-ticket they should have been able to use that as their BP?

It does seem very poor and Jetstaresque that they couldn't simply re-print a new BP for your grandparents since they are technically checked in already. I'm sure the gate attendant could even do it manually and simply give them a print out like you get when you use an e-pass/m-pass; i'm sure it's a daily occurance that atleast 1 pax loses their BP between check-in and the gate and that this would be the response
For all the flying I do, I have never done this. I have just stuck to the traditional check in process. I'm such an old dog. Just to clarify. My grandparents (very infrequent flyers) had a eticket for thier PMR-AKL flight. could they have used the eticket as a BP. meaning they could just rock up to the airport and when boarding is called, just check in using the printed off eticket??
Old May 3, 2013, 10:41 pm

For all the flying I do, I have never done this. I have just stuck to the traditional check in process. I'm such an old dog. Just to clarify. My grandparents (very infrequent flyers) had a eticket for thier PMR-AKL flight. could they have used the eticket as a BP. meaning they could just rock up to the airport and when boarding is called, just check in using the printed off eticket??
Well that's what I did....albeit a few years ago (but I have never tried boarding using an e-ticket since). As far as I know, that is the purpose of the e-ticket - i.e you are checked in soon as you book your flight and the barcode on the paper works just the same as an m-pass does; You haven't missed your flight until boarding is complete. Did your grandparents show the e-ticket to the agent? Sounds like they have unfortunatly been taken for a ride if they did and I know I'd be writing a letter of complaint...probably not just to AirNZ either

edit: when I used the e-ticket, it was the agent whom advised me that I could when I was in the process of re-booking.
Old May 3, 2013, 11:04 pm
Original Poster

Well that's what I did....albeit a few years ago (but I have never tried boarding using an e-ticket since). As far as I know, that is the purpose of the e-ticket - i.e you are checked in soon as you book your flight and the barcode on the paper works just the same as an m-pass does; You haven't missed your flight until boarding is complete. Did your grandparents show the e-ticket to the agent? Sounds like they have unfortunatly been taken for a ride if they did and I know I'd be writing a letter of complaint...probably not just to AirNZ either

edit: when I used the e-ticket, it was the agent whom advised me that I could when I was in the process of re-booking.
From what I have heard, they showed the E Ticket to the gate staff who then told them check in was over and if they still wanted to travel to AKL it would cost them a few hundred dollars. I believe they have as you said been taken for a ride. It was agony for them to sit down and watch the flight they were supposed to be on start boarding. They are flying back into WAG tommorow morning. I will get the full story off them then and then I will contact ANZ. If no luck with them, I will be taking further.
Old May 3, 2013, 11:08 pm
Original Poster

not saying I don't believe you, thanks so much for your help. can any one else out there though confirm this? Want to make sure I have a good case when I go to ANZ
Old May 3, 2013, 11:50 pm

They could have gate scanned. A miscommunication with the agent not realising they only had hand luggage? Also, ovesized hand luggage is being tightned up on. Were the bags just too big? I'd write a letter anyway and see what the response is.

Your e-ticket can be used for boarding but you do not show in the system as 'checked in' until you scan into a lounge or onto the plane.

Last edited by waterwingsNZ; May 3, 2013 at 11:55 pm
Old May 3, 2013, 11:56 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
not saying I don't believe you, thanks so much for your help. can any one else out there though confirm this? Want to make sure I have a good case when I go to ANZ
Yup, I have used an NZ eticket as a boardpass before.

I'm sure its printed on it somewhere?
Old May 4, 2013, 12:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by waterwingsNZ
They could have gate scanned. A miscommunication with the agent not realising they only had hand luggage? Also, ovesized hand luggage is being tightned up on. Were the bags just too big? I'd write a letter anyway and see what the response is.

Your e-ticket can be used for boarding but you do not show in the system as 'checked in' until you scan into a lounge or onto the plane.
she had her handbag, and he had a small briefcase. definitely not oversized.
Old May 4, 2013, 8:31 pm

Programs: Air NZ Gold Elite, Qantas Platinum
This is outrageous behaviour if the story is as true by Air NZ. Definitely make a complaint;a and let us know how you get on.

At those small regional airports it is all usually very friendly given how few flights there and how small the planes are. Regularly rung ahead to say I am on the way and will make flight but will be a few mins after normal check in. Never an issue.

Heard that once at Taupo airport they held the flight for a few colleagues who took the same flight each week for about 40 weeks.... bad traffic on the way to the airport; last flight out on the Friday - didn't leave until they arrived!
Old May 4, 2013, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newtestleper
This is outrageous behaviour if the story is as true by Air NZ. Definitely make a complaint;a and let us know how you get on.

At those small regional airports it is all usually very friendly given how few flights there and how small the planes are. Regularly rung ahead to say I am on the way and will make flight but will be a few mins after normal check in. Never an issue.

Heard that once at Taupo airport they held the flight for a few colleagues who took the same flight each week for about 40 weeks.... bad traffic on the way to the airport; last flight out on the Friday - didn't leave until they arrived!
Will definitely let everyone know how I get on. Thanks everyone for your opinions and thoughts on this. Got a few questions I want to ask the grandparents before I go to Air NZ. eg. booking ref ect. Do I ring or email Air NZ. what would have the best affect?
Old May 4, 2013, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Will definitely let everyone know how I get on. Thanks everyone for your opinions and thoughts on this. Got a few questions I want to ask the grandparents before I go to Air NZ. eg. booking ref ect. Do I ring or email Air NZ. what would have the best affect?
and just one more question. When is the final boarding call usually made. eg. how many minutes before departure. I like to be within the first 10 or so pax to board in order to get first pickings in the overhead lockers, so have no idea. Just want to have all my facts right before I go to Air New Zealand :-)
Old May 4, 2013, 10:07 pm

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
There is one rather rude/unhelpful lady at PMR. She may have been working on that day.

Incidentally, I was flying from chc to wlg the other morning. Pushed back, on the apron. Next minute captain announces we are going back to gate as their was another pax. It wasnt the PM, Pope or Barack Obama ( as I assumed to return to a gate would require a VIP waiting), just a random pax.
Old May 4, 2013, 11:03 pm

I would write a letter/email, that way the message to get to right person - who that right person is, I'm not sure...
Old May 5, 2013, 12:06 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
One thing to be aware of not checking in and using mPass at the gate is that you could be bumped if you haven't checked in or visited Koru and the flight is full. Ironically this situation would be more likely to happen to frequent flyers as they're typicvally the ones who would use mPass at the gate. I've heard of it happening to a couple of friends now.

A prior flight had been cancelled in both cases and 30 mins out they then filled the non checked in seats with passengers from the cancelled flights. In both cases the only warning was getting to the gate with mPass and finding the seat had been cancelled.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.