Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Celebrity spotting

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2006, 1:03 pm

Programs: Air France Platinum - Qatar Airways Gold
François Bayrou, leader of the French center party "Union for French Democracy" (UDF) in a CDG-TXL flight yesterday.

He seemed somewhat confused by Air France's intra european business class concept where the middle seat is blocked. Which means you have to sit either on the left or on the right...

A difficult choice for a centrist, I must say.
Old Jun 25, 2006, 1:26 am

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
I saw Rik Mayall in the Korean Air lounge at Heathrow a couple of years ago. Also saw the Chuckle Brothers at Manchester airport

Doug
Old Jun 26, 2006, 8:32 am

Location: Previously Leeds, England - now Chicago USA (KLM/AF - Lifetime Platinum)
Originally Posted by psollitt
... oh and on a recent kl flight from AMS to LBA I was sat next to the 70's band Smokie .... oh hang on ... I Work for them !!!
Sorry I'm very late into this thread...

I think I've both spotted and sat next to PSollitt in the recent past! Have seen/flown on the same plane as Smokie from LBA-AMS about 3-4 times in the past couple of years or so, and sat next to one of their roadies once. Will have to ask him next time if he's PSollitt!

Earlier this year I sat next to one of the trumpet players from "Kool & the Gang" going from AMS-MEM (with the rest of the band/crew in the same coach section) - we chatted music for much of the flight which was interesting! I've also seen US rock band Cheap Trick at US airports a few times too. And coming back from Tokyo to CDG in Aug 2003, the late evening check-in area was crowded with tall, young bronzed men and lots of excited young Japanese women taking photo's non-stop and asking for autographs - it proved to be one of the lesser Italian Serie A teams (Reggiana?) flying back on my flight after a couple of pre-season games in Japan.

Oh, and back in the mid-70's, I flew on a Zambia Airways flight from Lusaka to LHR, and I saw in the front section were the 3-4 key Zimbabwe politicians involved in independence talks at that time... as far as I recall, there was Nkomo, Muzorewa, Mugabe and one other I think, though my memory for those details is pretty hazy.

My very modest 2c... and I'll go away now for another few months!
KG
Old Jul 6, 2006, 6:57 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Haifa Wehbe on YUL-CDG, C class, July 3 rd.

So sexy!!

Here is her website.
http://www.haifawehbe.com/
Old Jul 7, 2006, 2:44 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M
Originally Posted by Colkurt
Haifa Wehbe on YUL-CDG, C class, July 3 rd.

So sexy!!
Had a look and would have to say that I would not object to her feet on my head or on the storage bin next to me. Then again maybe she has smelly feet.
Old Jul 17, 2006, 10:37 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Mary Pierce, seat 2B on AF 963 from Mauritius, landed 30 minutes ago at CDG (it's real time info!) posted from one of the (dirty) computer in AF lounge 2D.

and François Eric Gendron (alias "Robert" in "avocats et associés"!!)on MK code-shared flight in december (business class) and Claude Brasseur, same flight (but first class)

and yes F-E Gendron is the son of Maurice Gendron, a great violoncellist...
Old Jul 17, 2006, 1:54 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
Originally Posted by kgisborne
Sorry I'm very late into this thread...

I think I've both spotted and sat next to PSollitt in the recent past! Have seen/flown on the same plane as Smokie from LBA-AMS about 3-4 times in the past couple of years or so, and sat next to one of their roadies once. Will have to ask him next time if he's PSollitt

KG

Well if its not me the other two crew who fly the LBA route are called Jason or Vernon ... so its a 1in3 chance
Old Aug 8, 2006, 4:32 am

Programs: FB Plat./BA Gold (thanks BD)/A3 *Gold/HH Diamond/A Club Gold
Jamel Debbouze (french comic) was sitting in the lounge in 2F on Saturday evening - my wife recognized him, I just saw the double-sized body guard...
Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:38 am

Programs: FB Plat, DL, AA, UA, US, NW
Randy Newman ("I Love LA") and family returning from Paris at LAX
Old Aug 9, 2006, 10:45 pm

Having nothing better to do, I counted all "famous people" listed in this thread and realized that more than 85% of them were unknown to me (in the sense that I never heard of them before in my life, or that I would have never recognized their face). I just wonder why anybody would care if I saw XYZ (Nobel prize winner) on a flight to JFK, and so on...
Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by KLouis
Having nothing better to do, I counted all "famous people" listed in this thread and realized that more than 85% of them were unknown to me (in the sense that I never heard of them before in my life, or that I would have never recognized their face). I just wonder why anybody would care if I saw XYZ (Nobel prize winner) on a flight to JFK, and so on...
If you want to see a celebrity that each knows, just go to the washrooms in the plane and look into the mirror, you will see someone famous to you
Old Aug 10, 2006, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
True!
Old Aug 10, 2006, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by SpiderBen
If you want to see a celebrity that each knows, just go to the washrooms in the plane and look into the mirror, you will see someone famous to you
Old Aug 11, 2006, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
Having nothing better to do, I counted all "famous people" listed in this thread and realized that more than 85% of them were unknown to me
I know about 75% of the people mentionned in this thread. Maybe the place where a poster lives is relevant alot of the people are french politicians, actors, sportsmen and so on. And I have to admit that - if this was on Delta or United ... I don't know all american sportsmen or senators as well.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by chrissxb
I know about 75% of the people mentionned in this thread. Maybe the place where a poster lives is relevant alot of the people are french politicians, actors, sportsmen and so on. And I have to admit that - if this was on Delta or United ... I don't know all american sportsmen or senators as well.
I think you missed the point I made: Why would anyone care if I (you, we, they) saw somebody "famous"? The fact that I live on Europe's periphery does not make it difficult to actually recognize celebrities. I'd say this relates more to how long one watches TV and/or reads magazines. Thus, whether one knows 15% ot 85% of those seen by others on previous flights doesn't really provide a "satisfaction" other than, perhaps, to the actual spotter.

On a purely logical (Aristotelian) level, anybody on a commercial flight is bound to be spotted by several hundreds of people during every trip (including in airports, toilets, lounges, etc.) and, on the other hand, the more often one flies, the highest the chance to spot a famous person. Thus, this thread actually shows that some FT visitors have absolutely normal experiences. Wow!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.