Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: irishguy28
Introduction

As you have been following the past thread, the Flying Blue programme will change as of 1 April 2018. In order to split the discussion from the earlier thread, we have created a new thread.

On 6 November Flying Blue has organised a press conference to inform the public about the changes to the programme. In addition, a mailing will be sent out to all members on the 6th and 7th of November and more information can be found on the designated website (link: https://explorefurther.flyingblue.com).

As an introduction, please find a summary of the changes below.

Please note that at the current time there is no difference expected to the benefits of the current tier.

Change 1: no more level miles, no more segments, but Experience Points

As of 1 April 2018 you will no longer earn level miles and segments per flight, but you will earn Experience Points (XP). The number of XP earned per flight depends on your cabin (multiplier times 2 for Premium Economy, 3 for business, 5 for La Premiere) and the type of flight (distinction between domestic, medium haul, long-haul 1/2/3).

For flights between 1 January – 31 March 2018 all earned level miles and segments will be converted into XP (1 segment = 7 XP; 1,000 level miles = 5 XP for members outside France). Please note that the highest conversion applies (it is not cumulative).

The number of XP required per tiers is:
- 100 for Silver;
- 180 for Gold;
- 300 for Platinum;
- 1,800 for Platinum Ultimate (in 2 years).

Please note that for current flyers who qualify on segments based on only intra-EU flights this could see an increase in the number of flights required. However, if you fly a mix if intra-EU and intercontinental (but qualify on segments), this will most likely see a reduction in the number of flights required to qualify.
For elite members, there is a roll-over of all XP above your tier threshold.

The rules for soft-landing have been extended. It is now no longer required to make at least 1 qualifying flight and in case you do not meet your threshold you will only drop one tier.

Change 2: number of miles earned dependent on fare paid (including fuel surcharge)

The number of award miles (for AF/KL/A5) earned is now depending on the fare paid (including fuel surcharge). Ivory members earn 4 miles per Euro, Silver 6, Gold 7 and Platinum 8.

Also earn award miles on AF/KL purchases (relating to seats, baggage and meals) according to the above schedule.

Earnings on partners remains as-is (based on fare class and distance flown).

Change 3: dynamic pricing of award tickets (on AF/KL/HV)

Another change will be that award tickets will have dynamic pricing, e.g. an award AMS-JFK could be more expensive than an award DUS-AMS-JFK. This is also in line with change 2, as flights from AMS are also more expensive than flights from DUS (you also earn more miles).

This also implies that we will see a difference in the number of miles required per flight. For example, an award from continental Europe to continental USA will currently set you back 25,000 miles for a one-way in economy. It does not matter if you fly to LAX or NYC, the number of miles is currently fixed. Under the new proposition, this will change. The cheaper flight (in this example: NYC) will see a slight reduction in the number of miles required, whilst LAX will see a slight increase in the number of miles required.

Furthermore, there will be a standard base level for the number of miles required per destination. As the standard revenue price increases, so does the number of award miles.

Change 4: status valid for 12 months (+ 3 months), personal membership year

FB will be moving away from membership year = calendar year (in case of upgrade of tier). Instead, FB will have an individual membership year. This means that after obtaining the higher tier, you will have 12 months to requalify. Benefit of this is that members are not bound by the calendar year (e.g. members who earn 20,000 level miles in a December of a given year and 20,000 level miles in January of the next year, do not have any benefit of their flights in case limited flights before/after).

I know some will feel that this is a significant downgrade compared to the current – at maximum – 27 months. Please note that based on FB information the majority of members (re)qualify in the last quarter of the year.

In addition, please note that for an Ivory member would like to go obtain Platinum in one year, as it will become more difficult, as (s)he will have to earn each threshold (so not 300 XP in the first year, but (100 + 180 + 300 = 580 XP). This is only applicable in the first year.

Change 5: changes to the co-branded American Express credit cards (FR/NL)

Currently you earn segments and level miles (on AF/KL purchases for Gold and Platinum card holders). This will change that you will receive additional XP when reaching your membership anniversary each year.
Print Wikipost

Upcoming changes to Flying Blue in 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Tonin
Here's my interpretation in the new system:
April 2018, I will have 255K status miles (345-90).
Conversion will give me 1275XP
December 2018 I'll have 975XP so requalified until December 2019 and then PLFT
Do I miss something ? Is that correct ?
Tx,
Tonin
That appears correct, but remember that you must keep engaged with your account and stay abreast of developments.

I would also advise that you take at least one XP-earning flight - preferably on AF or KL mainline - in order to not jeopardise your strategy. Previously rollovers required you to actually earn in each calendar year, and you are asking for trouble if you allow a whole "membership year" (which, for you, should remain aligned to the calendar year, but will differ for everyone in future) to go by without adding a level-mileage-earning aka XP-earning flight.

Actually, what I wrote earlier may be incorrect. Existing platinums/other status holders may instead see their membership year aligned to 31 March. In your case, this may happen.

I would advise you to take at least one XP-earning flight between April and December of 2018, i.e after the new scheme has come into force, but before the end of the year. That act alone should secure your LTPE. Otherwise, you may lose your 9 years of status.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by orbitmic
also no indication on what happens to non eurozone residents, what’s the conversion or is the system different.
Probably just a conversion, in the same way USA airlines convert to USD regardless of the spend or 'resident' currency.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by jms_uk
Probably just a conversion, in the same way USA airlines convert to USD regardless of the spend or 'resident' currency.
Yes, as per the FAQ:

How many Miles will I earn if I pay my ticket in a currency other than euros?
At the moment of the purchase of the ticket, we will convert currencies to euros. This euro amount will be used to determine the Miles you earn.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Tonin
I've read the entire thread but not really sure it covers my questions, doubts:
As of today I have 345K status miles, I was supposed to become PLFT in December 2019.
With the old rollover I was OK.
Here's my interpretation in the new system:
April 2018, I will have 255K status miles (345-90).
Conversion will give me 1275XP
December 2018 I'll have 975XP so requalified until December 2019 and then PLFT
Do I miss something ? Is that correct ?
Tx,
Tonin
If I understand correcty, having 975XP means you're qualified for platinum 3 years in advance since there appears to be no limit on rollover XP.
Wangja likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by irishguy28
which is meaningless without the key

(Experience Points? How long did they sit around coming up with that name?)

That name Experience Points must have been decided upon by a bunch of engineers and definitely not marketing. And then the abbreviation: XP... sounds more like EXPIRY Points to me than Experience Points. Because those points do actually expire, as soon as you upgrade to a higher level you start from scratch.

just a couple of other things I noticed:
- They spent 15 M € on IT systems... they currently have a points system, so all they need to do is change the rules engine. Why does that cost 15 M € ?

- the launch date of the new program is April 1st, which is April fools day.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Cosiflyer
Under the current program, status expiration is end of March.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
I'm just trying to get my head around the XP number and wanted to get a few things clarified.

If you're starting from a point of no status at all and want to work up the ranks my understanding is this:

- You have to earn 100XP to hit Silver status (at which point your year resets and your account is debited 100XP)

- You now have another 12 months have to earn a further 180XP to earn Gold status but, if you only earn 100XP, you at least retain Silver Status.

Is that right? Or, after earning Silver Status for the first time, do you have re-earn it (100XP) and earn a further 180XP to hit Gold - total of 280XP (all within 12 months)?

Likewise, let's assume a FB member with Gold status starting out on day 1 of his/her year:

Does 300XP in the next 12 month period automatically move him/her up to Platinum or does he/she first have to requalify for Gold (180XP) and then earn a further 300XP (for a total of 480XP) to get to Platinum?

TIA for any help.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: *G (TK elite+), OW sapphire (QR), ST elite plus (AF). LA black
That name Experience Points must have been decided upon by a bunch of engineers and definitely not marketing.
it might have been suggested by some "Pokémon GO" players
fifty_two and newflyer27 like this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:07 am

The Flying Blue Miles Calculator has been updated. It confirms the "Domestic" XP earning for a domestic transcontinental Delta flight, and it's also a good occasion to compare (Award) miles accrual between the old & new scheme:

LAX-JFK DL Business(J)
XP = 6
Award Miles before vs. Miles after the change:
IVORY 4303 vs. 4323
SILVER 5533 vs. 6485
GOLD 6147 vs. 7565
PLATINUM 6762 vs. 8646

Last edited by AlvinMaker; Nov 6, 2017 at 8:01 am Reason: Good numbers + LAX and not LAS
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is traditionally the date used by FB to launch devaluations.

(As others have noted, it is tied to the expiry date of statuses that haven't been renewed/retained in the previous year).
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That name Experience Points must have been decided upon by a bunch of engineers and definitely not marketing.
FB doesn't employ any engineers.

And then the abbreviation: XP... sounds more like EXPIRY Points to me than Experience Points.
To me, it sounds like they are running a loyalty programme for Expedia!
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mileometer
I'm just trying to get my head around the XP number and wanted to get a few things clarified.

If you're starting from a point of no status at all and want to work up the ranks my understanding is this:

- You have to earn 100XP to hit Silver status (at which point your year resets and your account is debited 100XP)
correct

- You now have another 12 months have to earn a further 180XP to earn Gold status but, if you only earn 100XP, you at least retain Silver Status.

Is that right?
correct

Or, after earning Silver Status for the first time, do you have re-earn it (100XP) and earn a further 180XP to hit Gold - total of 280XP (all within 12 months)?
No. If you are Silver, your "target" is that for Gold; so you will be aiming for 180XP in your year, which begins immediately.

If you fail to reach 180XP, but are over 100XP at the end of that year, you get another year of Silver.

If at the end of that year you haven't managed even 100XP, then you are back to Ivory.

Likewise, let's assume a FB member with Gold status starting out on day 1 of his/her year:

Does 300XP in the next 12 month period automatically move him/her up to Platinum or does he/she first have to requalify for Gold (180XP) and then earn a further 300XP (for a total of 480XP) to get to Platinum?
If you are Gold, your target for your new "year" is 300XP for Platinum.

If you get to 300XP at any time before the end of the year, you are immediately elevated to Platinum, and start a new "year" in which you must again accumulate 300XP to extend Platinum.

However, if you come to the end of your Gold year it means you haven't reached 300XP. If you're above 180XP, though, you will get another year of Gold.

We don't know if a Soft Landing applies in the new scheme, so I can't tell you when and if a Gold could end up back at Ivory (if they actually accumulated less than 100XP) or if silver is guaranteed as long as new XPs were earned during the year (as is currently the case)
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:16 am

First of all, let's be clear here our understanding is about as good anyone's; these changes were announced only hours ago so none of us have any actual experience with the new system.

That being said:

Correct.

Also correct.

As the system is explained now, a Gold member who earns 300XP becomes platinum. If that same member earns more than 180XP but does not manage 300, he stays gold.

Basically, if you reach the threshold for the level *above* what you are at, those points are deducted and you start a new year.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AlvinMaker
The Flying Blue Miles Calculator has been updated. It confirms the "Domestic" XP earning for a domestic transcontinental Delta flight, and it's also a good occasion to compare (Award) miles accrual between the old & new scheme:

LAS-JFK DL Business(J)
XP = 6
Award Miles before vs. Miles after the change:
IVORY 4303 vs. 3926
SILVER 5533 vs. 5889
GOLD 6147 vs. 6870
PLATINUM 6762 vs. 7852
I got different results for the "current" earning for J class (i.e. actual J class - you can specify each individual available business class)

DL "Z" also shown below.
Attached Images   
Old Nov 6, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
No. If you are Silver, your "target" is that for Gold; so you will be aiming for 180XP in your year, which begins immediately.

If you fail to reach 180XP, but are over 100XP at the end of that year, you get another year of Silver.

If at the end of that year you haven't managed even 100XP, then you are back to Ivory.

If you are Gold, your target for your new "year" is 300XP for Platinum.

If you get to 300XP at any time before the end of the year, you are immediately elevated to Platinum, and start a new "year" in which you must again accumulate 300XP to extend Platinum.

However, if you come to the end of your Gold year it means you haven't reached 300XP. If you're above 180XP, though, you will get another year of Gold.

We don't know if a Soft Landing applies in the new scheme, so I can't tell you when and if a Gold could end up back at Ivory (if they actually accumulated less than 100XP) or if silver is guaranteed as long as new XPs were earned during the year (as is currently the case)
Thanks SO much for very helpful reply - I think I've got it now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.