Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: irishguy28
Introduction

As you have been following the past thread, the Flying Blue programme will change as of 1 April 2018. In order to split the discussion from the earlier thread, we have created a new thread.

On 6 November Flying Blue has organised a press conference to inform the public about the changes to the programme. In addition, a mailing will be sent out to all members on the 6th and 7th of November and more information can be found on the designated website (link: https://explorefurther.flyingblue.com).

As an introduction, please find a summary of the changes below.

Please note that at the current time there is no difference expected to the benefits of the current tier.

Change 1: no more level miles, no more segments, but Experience Points

As of 1 April 2018 you will no longer earn level miles and segments per flight, but you will earn Experience Points (XP). The number of XP earned per flight depends on your cabin (multiplier times 2 for Premium Economy, 3 for business, 5 for La Premiere) and the type of flight (distinction between domestic, medium haul, long-haul 1/2/3).

For flights between 1 January – 31 March 2018 all earned level miles and segments will be converted into XP (1 segment = 7 XP; 1,000 level miles = 5 XP for members outside France). Please note that the highest conversion applies (it is not cumulative).

The number of XP required per tiers is:
- 100 for Silver;
- 180 for Gold;
- 300 for Platinum;
- 1,800 for Platinum Ultimate (in 2 years).

Please note that for current flyers who qualify on segments based on only intra-EU flights this could see an increase in the number of flights required. However, if you fly a mix if intra-EU and intercontinental (but qualify on segments), this will most likely see a reduction in the number of flights required to qualify.
For elite members, there is a roll-over of all XP above your tier threshold.

The rules for soft-landing have been extended. It is now no longer required to make at least 1 qualifying flight and in case you do not meet your threshold you will only drop one tier.

Change 2: number of miles earned dependent on fare paid (including fuel surcharge)

The number of award miles (for AF/KL/A5) earned is now depending on the fare paid (including fuel surcharge). Ivory members earn 4 miles per Euro, Silver 6, Gold 7 and Platinum 8.

Also earn award miles on AF/KL purchases (relating to seats, baggage and meals) according to the above schedule.

Earnings on partners remains as-is (based on fare class and distance flown).

Change 3: dynamic pricing of award tickets (on AF/KL/HV)

Another change will be that award tickets will have dynamic pricing, e.g. an award AMS-JFK could be more expensive than an award DUS-AMS-JFK. This is also in line with change 2, as flights from AMS are also more expensive than flights from DUS (you also earn more miles).

This also implies that we will see a difference in the number of miles required per flight. For example, an award from continental Europe to continental USA will currently set you back 25,000 miles for a one-way in economy. It does not matter if you fly to LAX or NYC, the number of miles is currently fixed. Under the new proposition, this will change. The cheaper flight (in this example: NYC) will see a slight reduction in the number of miles required, whilst LAX will see a slight increase in the number of miles required.

Furthermore, there will be a standard base level for the number of miles required per destination. As the standard revenue price increases, so does the number of award miles.

Change 4: status valid for 12 months (+ 3 months), personal membership year

FB will be moving away from membership year = calendar year (in case of upgrade of tier). Instead, FB will have an individual membership year. This means that after obtaining the higher tier, you will have 12 months to requalify. Benefit of this is that members are not bound by the calendar year (e.g. members who earn 20,000 level miles in a December of a given year and 20,000 level miles in January of the next year, do not have any benefit of their flights in case limited flights before/after).

I know some will feel that this is a significant downgrade compared to the current – at maximum – 27 months. Please note that based on FB information the majority of members (re)qualify in the last quarter of the year.

In addition, please note that for an Ivory member would like to go obtain Platinum in one year, as it will become more difficult, as (s)he will have to earn each threshold (so not 300 XP in the first year, but (100 + 180 + 300 = 580 XP). This is only applicable in the first year.

Change 5: changes to the co-branded American Express credit cards (FR/NL)

Currently you earn segments and level miles (on AF/KL purchases for Gold and Platinum card holders). This will change that you will receive additional XP when reaching your membership anniversary each year.
Print Wikipost

Upcoming changes to Flying Blue in 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:38 am

The qualification period covers 12 months. Of course, if you gain enough XP to move up to the next level before the end of the 12-month period, you’ll be instantly upgraded. The moment you reach the next level, the XP needed to qualify for that level will be deducted from your XP counter and the 12-month qualification period will restart. Any XP you gained above the required threshold will be yours to keep.
I'm really confused by what that means. The way I read it now is that you actually need 280 XPs to reach Gold and 580 XPs for platinum, rendering segment qualification way more difficult.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by Mirk
Thanks all for the answers regarding the conversion! I did my math and this year I would have earned 418XP so rollover of 118 instead of nothing since I requalified with QF. So overall it seems positive in some cases.
Note that the conversion will be done in April of 2018; your additional QF will be gone by then.

Originally Posted by maxvor
I'm really confused by what that means. The way I read it now is that you actually need 280 XPs to reach Gold and 580 XPs for platinum, rendering segment qualification way more difficult.

Yes, but in return you will have up to two years to qualify for gold and three for platinum instead of just one.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:40 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Gajan
PFL remains as is.
Thanks.

Indeed:
Originally Posted by Flying Blue website
Will Flying Blue have 4 levels?
Yes, the levels will remain the same: Ivory, Silver, Gold and Platinum. After 10 years of Platinum, members become Platinum for Life members.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:42 am

Programs: FB Platinum, All Accor Platinum
thanks, i am in trouble then with those new rules

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by orbitmic
still av lot of details to be seen not least on redemptions...
Will the Miles needed for a reward ticket change?
From June 2018, the Miles needed for a reward ticket will change from prices according to zone and date to prices according to origin, destination and date. This will mean that the Miles needed for some reward tickets will go up, and Miles needed for some reward tickets will go down.

So presumably no XP for purchasing AFKL tickets with AFKL amex?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:43 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CyBeR
Note that the conversion will be done in April of 2018; your additional QF will be gone by then.
Of course. That's why I said "would", the point was to say that in the previous system I wouldn't roll over anything while now with my travel pattern I will.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:44 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

My take on this so far with the changes:
- why did they make it so complicated with the introduction of XP points
- seems that there is no real benefit (besides the amount of award miles) in purchasing expensive tickets within the same class, i.e Z, D or C sub-class
- rolling years make things complicated ala BAEC, i have to track my start and end date.
- rather sad that they did not reduce the amount of award miles needed for award tickets and gone towards the dynamic pricing approach

Cheers!
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Correct. A significant devaluation of the programme. Previously, the same miles/segments could be used to attain multiple status levels in a single calendar year. This is now removed.

Effectively, they have changed it from (using the "old" system as the template)

Silver: 25k miles, 15 level segments
Gold: add another 15k level miles, or another 15 level segments by year end
Platinum: add another 30k level miles, or another 30 level segments by year end

to

Silver: 25k miles, 15 level segments
Gold: add another 40k level miles, or another 30 level segments within 12 months
Platinum: add another 70k level miles, or another 60 level segments within 12 months
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ditto
So presumably no XP for purchasing AFKL tickets with AFKL amex?
You get 15, 30 or 60 XP on your card anniversary date depending on the level of the card.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Of course, the fact that the tie to the calendar year has been removed would also seem to indicate that the period for which status is given will be shorter.

Previously, you would have it for the rest of your current year, and all of the next year (plus a buffer of 3 months to March of year+2). Now, your current year ends immediately when you achieve the new status level, and your "next year" of higher status starts immediately - even though you may have to wait weeks for the card to be sent out!!!

Unless anyone has seen any statement showing that status, once earned, is valid for more than a year???

ponchokatten likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by CyBeR
Yes, but in return you will have up to two years to qualify for gold and three for platinum instead of just one.
Yeap, works fine when you want to do it year by year. But what they make veeery difficult is jumping from zero to hero in one year. And for me this is the way I prefer to earn the status on any alliance - I pretty much decide on my traveling patterns for the upcoming year and if I can't achieve at least mid-tier during that year I shift to another alliance.
ponchokatten likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:51 am

Programs: AFKL Flying Blue Platinum Ultimate, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
This is assuming that you start from scratch.
But what happens when you are Platinum and you *need* to stay platinum?

Do you need 580XP back or just 300XP in the next 12 months?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by f0zzyNUE
Wow. Not as bad as expected. European Business Class Segment with 15XP together with cheap 4 segment business class runs makes Platinum not too expensive
Really? The fastest way to Platinum is now ~twice as much as it was under the old scheme.

Those already holding Platinum are unaffected, but for those aiming for higher status, they must do far more flying than was required for canny frequent flyers under the old scheme.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 3:53 am

Programs: Flying Blue (LTPE) All (Gold)
Is there still a difference between french residents and others?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.